Does anyone else feel like this game is actually really shallow and overrated?

#1akira595Posted 3/27/2012 1:57:31 PM
So, we all remember 11/11/11 when everybody went nuts over Skyrim. At the time, I was one of those people. Before my laptop broke and I could no longer play the game, I logged almost 100 hours into skyrim. I had a level 56 character and a level 2X character and I felt like I played that game a lot. But looking back at it, I'm kind of ashamed that I wasted so much time. Sure, there's a lot of things to do in the game, but almost all of it feels pointless to me. None of the stories are very memorable and the ones I do remember are kind of lame looking back. All of the dungeons just merged together except for a handful of some important or cool parts. And lastly, even though I was high leveled, I didn't really feel that accomplished since the leveling system is so abuse-able and so many powers are way too unbalanced.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that looking back, I feel like Skyrim is a really bad game. There's no doubt that I had a ton of fun with it while it lasted, but I've never had a game that felt so empty after I was finished with it. Does anyone else feel like this too?
---
"Well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks.."
#2Lucavi00Posted 3/27/2012 1:58:16 PM
Spending time on a video game seems pointless? Someone call the media, we have a breaking story.
---
As a tank, doing heroics is like a single player game. I just do my own thing while my AI buddies help me out.
-Wyand_Voidbring on pugging heroics.
#3akira595(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2012 2:02:12 PM
A good game shouldn't feel pointless. I don't regret any time I put into Mass Effect or many other games.
---
"Well, sir, I feel like a, like a slice of butter... melting on top of a big-ol' pile of flapjacks.."
#4wombat013Posted 3/27/2012 2:04:29 PM
Well, I agree with your post-title. But man, you are getting way too deep about video games. They are entertainment; something to do. You seem kinda devastated about Skyrim's suckiness. Which, although I agree with your post's title, I dont think sucks by any means. With about 220 mods running, Skyrim is phenominal. Im assuming since you are on the PC board you and have the internet, you can download and install mods. It makes a HUGE difference.
---
He who needs a pat on the back makes every man his judge
#5Lucavi00Posted 3/27/2012 2:08:37 PM

A good game shouldn't feel pointless. I don't regret any time I put into Mass Effect or many other games.

All gaming is pointless. As said, it's a form of entertainment. It isnt supposed to be fulfilling or enlightening.
---
As a tank, doing heroics is like a single player game. I just do my own thing while my AI buddies help me out.
-Wyand_Voidbring on pugging heroics.
#6JC_PhoenixPosted 3/27/2012 2:09:45 PM
Started the elder scrolls series with Oblivion... enjoyed it well enough, felt very medicore and not rewarding (in terms of what I took away from the experience at the end) at all in the end.

Started modding, yeah that's better.

Started finding mods that suit my tastes. "ZOMG BEST GAME EVAR!"

Saw Skyrim. Hoped it'd be better than Oblivion and in any case I'd still have mods.

Played Skyrim, sucked much more than Oblivion (according to my tastes and what I want in a game)

Currently waiting for the big complex quest mods and gameplay mods.
---
"You are a planned organism, the offspring of knowledge and imagination rather than of individuals"-Morpheus
#7FeatherwindPosted 3/27/2012 2:35:48 PM
The base is most likely the shallowest of Elder Scrolls and it seems that they added some of the features to mainly demonstrate and reinforce this such as generic radiant quests, the intro, marriage and the killing moves. But Morrowind wasn't very good without mods and Oblivion without mods was almost as bad as Skyrim (without Shivering Isles it might have been) and I don't think it is right to say that this game is overrated at least not for the PC. Most people seem to agree that the base game is not terribly interesting but people still find things to do and mods to play. It might not be the longest lasting game there is but as you said it is fun while it lasts and it belongs more to the short-term fun category of games rather than deep, artistic, competitive etc.

I don't actually know what those who purchase Skyrim for console want or expect but the x360 version seems to have even higher scores than the PC version in all three categories for this site. I don't see how that could be possible but then again I haven't played with the newer consoles and for me the main draw to consoles used to be the insanely fun split screen which for some reason is rarely supported anymore.
#8Darthus_VaderusPosted 3/27/2012 2:43:50 PM
It's easy to be happy with Skyrim at first and then massively overwhelmed by how much there is to do that you just can't kill in a few days. It takes so much time to build up a new character and then gun through all the quests that you just don't want to do it anymore.

It doesn't make it any less a good game, it just gets harder to enjoy due to the tedious things you have to do to enjoy it again.
---
Swag
#9Alyzabeth1990Posted 3/27/2012 2:56:50 PM
No. Hunger Games is overrated.
#10bshwalkerPosted 3/27/2012 4:05:02 PM
I felt that way after 4 hours of gameplay.
Skyrim looks better and plays better than Oblivion and most importantly has a much better leveling system, and that's it. By simply downloading a leveling mod my only big complaint with Oblivion went away.
Skyrim got real boring, real fast. Its in dire need of some major mods.

That is not a statement of the game itself. Its just my experience with it.
Skyrim saw the removal of all of the things I liked about the previous TES games and left it a basic hack n slash, which I grew tired of a decade ago.
---
The Rabbit convinced the Fox not to cast him into the brier patch, but to join him in there and rip up his flesh among the thorns.
~C.O.I.~