What are the recommended bow tweaks?

#1SSJ2__GohanPosted 4/15/2012 9:19:37 PM(edited)
I read that arrows shoot from above the cursor, and that they auto aim. I want to disable both (I already have the fix for a longer hit detection range). However, there are so many conflicting tweak reports:

Some say you need f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.0 (and f3), some say you need 0.7 (I rather not "overfix" or "underfix", which I suppose 1 of the 2 values does).

Some say you need to add
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

Some say you don't need that (I rather not change anything other than what I want to change).

And for the auto aim, some say
fMagnetismObjLookingMult=0.0000
fMagnetismObjHeadingMult=0.0000
fMagnetismObjStrafeHeadingMult=0.0000
fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
fMagnetismHeadingMult=0.00
fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0

Fixes it (which includes the 2 lines from before), and some say it doesn't (if it doesn't fix it, I rather not mess with it).
#2SlakrPosted 4/15/2012 9:27:39 PM
I use f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7, which seems to put the arrow right where I want it. So I'd say that 0.0 probably over-corrects.

As for removing auto-aim; I've yet to see an arrow do anything unnatural (such as turning left/right in mid-flight), so I don't see any need to "remove" something that doesn't seem to be there in the first place.
---
I poisoned my dog so he can't keep chasing that baby giraffe.
#3Matty_G33Posted 4/15/2012 10:27:07 PM
From UESP:

Arrows can be forced to fire through the center point by modifying (or adding, if they don't exist) a few lines in Skyrim.ini, in the My Documents folder. Setting fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist to a high value (above ~10000) allows the character to hit targets with arrows as far as the arrow can fly, rather than passing through targets (without causing damage) at long distances.

Skyrim.ini

[Combat]
f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7
f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

[Actor]
fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000

http://uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Archery

Keep in mind that the [Combat] section of Skyrim.ini might already exist.
---
You know why I'm not gonna die? 'cause it's a waste of my time. ~ Cornshaq, on playing SMB 2
#4bionicman_3090Posted 4/15/2012 10:46:28 PM
Slakr posted...
As for removing auto-aim; I've yet to see an arrow do anything unnatural (such as turning left/right in mid-flight), so I don't see any need to "remove" something that doesn't seem to be there in the first place.

What he probably meant was arcing the arrows manually. When a target is far away, you usually aim a little higher to arc the arrow down to hit the target. But what happens is that the game treats "aim-above-the-target" as no-target-present and doesn't calculate the actual distance that the arrow should fly and instead, the arrow drops short of the target. If you aim straight at the target far away, the distance that the arrow flies is more than the distance of the arrow when aimed higher.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#5Lord_BadmagicPosted 4/15/2012 11:24:06 PM(edited)
Use the NoAutoAim.esp from here and combine it with the ini tweaks:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=3460

Its the only thing that gets rid of it.

***EDIT***

As for the existence of auto-aim, try leading a moving target or better yet get glasses.

http://youtu.be/ZpsMW4DKE0o

*END*EDIT*

---
"Whatever blows your hair back"
#6SlakrPosted 4/15/2012 11:36:41 PM(edited)

What he probably meant was arcing the arrows manually. When a target is far away, you usually aim a little higher to arc the arrow down to hit the target. But what happens is that the game treats "aim-above-the-target" as no-target-present and doesn't calculate the actual distance that the arrow should fly and instead, the arrow drops short of the target. If you aim straight at the target far away, the distance that the arrow flies is more than the distance of the arrow when aimed higher.

The effect you just described is corrected by f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7, which causes the arrow to be aimed at the center of the reticle. By default, a head shot at 20' required aiming at the shoulder (aiming at the head would result in firing the arrow about 1' above the target).

Typically, "auto-aim" in FPS games means that either the reticle automatically centers on a target, or the projectile adjusts in mid-flight to hit the target (usually the former). I haven't experienced either in Skyrim.

EDIT: Apparently, I have to purposefully attempt to miss a target in order to experience the auto-aim. I'll try that next time I play.
---
I poisoned my dog so he can't keep chasing that baby giraffe.
#7SSJ2__Gohan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 9:42:11 AM
Thanks for the replies (a bit late on my part: I posted it right before I had to go). I'll use 0.7 then together with Badmagic's solution.

As Badmagic's video nicely shows, autoaim exists. It can be useful, but I read lots of situations in which it could cause a miss (only part of the enemy's body out of cover but autoaim is on a part that is covered, for longer distances it causes perfectly lead shots to instead shoot at where the enemy is (the typical newb mistake in some shooters), etcetera). The negatives are not worth the positives IMO.