Advice for a Spellsword/Battlemage Build?

#1SorlinPosted 5/2/2012 2:09:46 AM
After playing a Khajit illusion assassin and a Breton pure mage, I figured I'd play a Dunmer spellsword. I do have a few questions:

What stat build do you recommend if I go pure sword and spell?

Is there any point in taking Dual Casting Destruction and Impact perks?

I am focusing on One Handed and Destruction as primary skills, though I don't know if I should focus on Conjuration instead of Destruction (I have the balanced magicka mod) or what I should select for a third primary skill.

What shouts do you recommend for a spellsword? Elemental fury is a must, but what else?

Thank you for your time.
---
Currently Playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
#2Blitz4532Posted 5/2/2012 3:36:13 AM
Personally I would recommend restoration. That will allow you to heal up as well as cast shields.
---
I am the Stig
http://home.comcast.net/~nba-clan/stig%20meme.jpg
#3HyperShadow4321Posted 5/2/2012 7:15:48 AM
Sorlin posted...
After playing a Khajit illusion assassin and a Breton pure mage, I figured I'd play a Dunmer spellsword. I do have a few questions:

What stat build do you recommend if I go pure sword and spell?

Is there any point in taking Dual Casting Destruction and Impact perks?

Yes, but don't bother with DC Destruction until you can get Impact. DCing Destruction spells only gives you +10% damage at +40% magicka cost, so it's more efficient to just use the same spell in both hands separately. Impact is great because you can stunlock enemies; however, DCing Destruction is inefficient in normal combat; however, I don't know if the balanced magic mod changes that. If it does, then you can probably ignore this.

I am focusing on One Handed and Destruction as primary skills, though I don't know if I should focus on Conjuration instead of Destruction (I have the balanced magicka mod) or what I should select for a third primary skill.

I don't know much about the balanced magicka mod, but Conjuration isn't a bad one in addition to Destruction, if you're looking for a third offensive skill. My Battlemage uses OneHanded/Destruction/Conjuration and does fine. If you go with Conjuration, then I would recommend just taking the Atronach side of the tree.

I utilized the Block skill alot with my Battlemage also. I would cast either an Flame/Frost/Shock Aura or lay down some Flame/Frost/Shock Walls, pull up my shield, and get to business. It's kinda fun laying down those Wall spells in closed corridors and just forcing the enemy to take damage while you put up your shield.

Also, I would definitely use Enchanting so you can slap some Destruction Cost Reduction on your armor eventually. With Destruction out of the way, you probably won't be using up all of your magicka with Conjuration/Restoration.

What shouts do you recommend for a spellsword? Elemental fury is a must, but what else?

I use Unrelenting Force and Slow Time alot. They're not too useful until you get all three words, though. I like Elemental Fury, but I hate that it doesn't work on enchanted weapons (you might have a mod for that, though).
#4gaming_noob4000Posted 5/2/2012 7:58:29 AM
HyperShadow4321 posted...
I like Elemental Fury, but I hate that it doesn't work on enchanted weapons (you might have a mod for that, though).

There is a mod on the workshop for Elemental fury called "Elemental Fury for Enchanted Weapons"
---
vittoria agli assassini!
Official Assassin Mentor of AC3 boards PSN: l33twtf
#5Sorlin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2012 1:41:45 AM
Good advice guys. Can't decide between smithing for a more physical offensive mage with the ability to craft armor and weapons or enchanting for the no cost destruction spells, skill bonuses, and easy money...I don't want to go with both on the level 1-50 since I would sacrifice perks that could be allocated elsewhere.

Here's the build so far. Obviously, remaining skills in the level 50 build will go towards the crafting skill. This is for master difficulty.

Female Altmer Battle Mage

Health/Magicka/Stamina Ratio: 3:1:0 with Magicka capped at 200 (if enchanting) or 350 (if smithing)

One-Handed (7)
-Armsman (5)
-Fighting Stance
-Savage Strike

Destruction (9)
-Novice
-Dual Casting
-Impact
-Augment Frost (2)
-Deep Freeze
-Apprentice
-Adept
-Expert

Conjuration (11)
-Novice
-Apprentice
-Adept
-Expert
-Master
-Summoner (2)
-Atromancy
-Elemental Procifiency
-Twin Souls

Heavy Armor (8)
-Juggernaut (5)
-Well Fitted
-Tower of Strength
-Matching Set

Restoration (8)
-Novice
-Apprentice
-Adept
-Respite
-Regeneration
-Recovery (2)
-Avoid Death

Perks used: 43

The main thing is how to level this character. With my assassin, I could just focus on One-Handed, Illusion, and Sneak with little issues. With my dual wielding Orc weaponmaster, One-Handed, Heavy Armor, and Smithing is all I need. Assassin was easy to level as is my current weaponmaster, but I feel for the battlemage to be effective I have to spread myself a little thin. Helps to have a plan so I don't end up getting my butt handed to me in the later levels.

Also, is it alright to forgo Stamina altogether? It seems like a good idea with Respite in the build but I am unsure.
---
Currently Playing: Star Wars: The Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
#6SKA_Posted 5/3/2012 3:21:52 AM
even with dual casting, you can cast each spell separately simultaneously but pushing the 2 mouse buttons a slightly different times. good for an impact then 2 separate spells simultaneously for more damage than 2 impacts in a row.
---
it's not easy being this awesome and modest
#7runeseekerbabusPosted 5/4/2012 7:47:44 AM
I have a Altmer Battlemage myself, and she does very well on master difficulty.

Your One-Handed tree looks good. Even though Savage Strike is not so good, it does feel great to cut off heads!

I'm surprised you chose Frost as your specialization element; it's arguably the least useful of the three. Role-Play perhaps? Frost does have one very important benefit though - Frost Runes are the only ones that benefit from the augment boost (though you won't see it). I would strongly advise you to put at least one point into Rune Master, as properly used, they are the most devastating spells in the game.

For Conjuration, you really don't need Master, unless you're using Dead Thrall. The focus on Atronachs is very good, especially Frost for your build. Drop a Frost Atronach, and then shoot Ice Storm from behind it!

You really should only get a couple of points from Juggernaut and maybe put the rest into Smithing, as it's very easy to hit the armor cap without those points. I use the Steed Stone for mine, so I typically take maybe one or two perks from Heavy Armor.

As for Restoration, I usually go up to expert (Grand Healing) and Respite. Avoid Death never kicks in enough for me, since people who kill me do so with way more than 25% health.

I ope some of this helps!
---
PSN: Runeseeker, HG Friend Code: 4168-6808-1491