I always felt Bethesda handled vampirism backwards

#1Thumbmaster23Posted 5/8/2012 11:23:06 AM
In the TES games I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) vampirism perks increase the longer you go without feeding, but your curse (ie, the downsides) increase as well. I always thought this was backwards.

The way I figure, a well-fed vamp is stronger, a starving one could be more monstrous, yes, but I always felt a vamp that has gone an extended period without feeding would be weaker. Anyone agree?

I of course have other problems with vampirism in TES but I don't want to type a 30 page synopsis here but fir starters I thought this staple is just ill conceived
#2lazy_titanPosted 5/8/2012 11:29:00 AM
I understand what you mean but its not how their version works.

Far as i understand it their version drinking blood is what keeps you from becoming a vampire and more human, while not drinking it you become more of a vampire.
---
No, Im not a pessimist. At some point the world craps on everybody. Pretending it aint crap makes you an idiot, not an optimist." ****mydadsays.tumblr.com
#3rikvanoostendePosted 5/8/2012 11:34:09 PM
Ever played Vampire Bloodlines? That's how I like my vampires.
You need blood to be more human, You can spend blood to power special powers untill you run out. If you don't feed you become a monster, murdering and drinking blood untill you become yourself again.

Bethesda vampires are just meh, more like Twilight or Sims vampires. The most powerful thing you get upon becoming one is the air of mystique and the right to wear long, stylish coats.
---
Whoa whoa! Watch the magic!
#4NolaxPosted 5/9/2012 1:50:01 AM
I dont think Bethesda even know what vampires are, they are terrible in all their games, they should be powerful, fast and have the ability to fly but they never have any of those so i dont see why they bother to add them to the games.
#5deathman9Posted 5/9/2012 1:55:48 AM
Nah, real vampires feed on the terror of children and bathe in their blood with a mistress or 2. Thats how Vlad the impaler did it, and he would know best.
---
"The CIA owns everyone of any significance in the major media" --- Former CIA director William Colby
#6FeatherwindPosted 5/9/2012 2:20:49 AM
I think it works this way too and after all the Volkihar are quite cool. Too bad they can't use all their abilities in the game.

I too think vampires weren't handled very well in this game and the overall aura of laziness/lack of care is strong with them. But it is not the "reverse feeding" that is is bad.

In Morrowind vampirism was a much bigger deal and the vampire species was different. IIRC some of the numerous and worthwhile vampire mods added feeding which gave you benefits.
#7CatBus420Posted 5/9/2012 5:02:30 AM
The point of it is to make you seriously think about how you want to balance your powers and the negative effect they have.

If they did it your way it would be mindless... feed as much as possible, win.
---
I bet Zombies have AIDs - Julian50
#8flagg2kplusPosted 5/9/2012 5:21:10 AM
Who cares?

Vampires have always sucked(no pun intended). Even before the horrible twilight movies.

Only depiction of vampires I can stand was on Buffy/Angel.
---
Why Mass Effect 3's endings are complete garbage...
gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
#9ZemPosted 5/9/2012 6:34:56 AM
Vampires aren't real. There's no "wrong" or "backwards" way to depict them. Just because they didn't conform to the popular stereotype doesn't make their version "lazy". They didn't fail to research how vampires are depicted in popular teen movies. This isn't even a game ABOUT vampires, so they don't really need to pander to vampire fans... and I'm glad they didn't, personally.

Since it is presented as a blood disease in TES, it makes perfect sense that drinking NON-diseased blood should slow or reverse the progression of the disease. You are essentially getting a transfusion of healthy blood.

But if you don't like it... mod it. Isn't there already an overhaul mod that reverses the stage effects so that it can become the "feed, feed, feed, win!" progression you want?
#10kanated123Posted 5/9/2012 10:42:16 AM
flagg2kplus posted...
Who cares?

Vampires have always sucked(no pun intended). Even before the horrible twilight movies.

Only depiction of vampires I can stand was on Buffy/Angel.

Go play Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines.