Asking for advice on a tiny racial mod.

#1SushiSquidPosted 6/15/2012 11:33:02 PM
This will not be a huge overhaul, and I will not be removing anything. My intent is to simply bring all races up to par with the Breton. What follows are my ideas currently on how to do that, and I'd love feedback on them and especially alternatives or additions. You'll notice that these are for the most part tiny changes. These should suffice to make the races fairly balanced while still being compatible with almost everything.

Altmer: Already very good, so they don't need much. Highborn, which useful is a bit boring because it's basically just free magicka potions once a day. Something else could be done here. Perhaps a boost to power on all spell schools while active?

Argonian: Like Highborn, Histskin is basically just free potions once a day, so it's good but kind of boring. Resist Disease is barely useful ever, but having constant waterbreathing (normally a rare enchantment to find) is at least a cute trick. I'd like to do something with Histskin to make it better and more exciting, but I'm not sure what.

Bosmer: Very poor passives, but the power's level 99 cap means it can affect things the Animal Allegiance shout (max level 20) never could, such as frost trolls and stuff. I was thinking that perhaps to make them more unique I could just extend the duration on Command Animal to something ridiculous (like an hour). This would let bosmer players walk around with animal allies for a good part of the day, making them much more useful and totally different to play compared to other races.

Breton: Unchanged. The best race doesn't need to get better. They tie with orc for the best power and yet also have the best passive. My entire goal is to make other races as good as these guys so things are fair.

Dunmer: They have a great passive, but the power is weak. I'd like to change it in some way that still keeps their style. Perhaps a healing effect for you while burning enemies?

Imperial: This race is worthless, but I really don't know how to improve it. They were worthless in Morrowind and Oblivion too, so past precedent doesn't provide me with any ideas.

Khajiit: While not useful for most builds, this totally niche race isn't truly bad. Unarmed combat is weak compared to weapons and Night Eye isn't very good, but both are very different and can make for a fun character. To add to this unique feel, I'm thinking I'll swipe something I already built for Specialized Followers and give them a detect life effect while sneaking to emulate their ability to smell enemies. This would be another ability that, while perhaps not powerful, is still cool. Because so many mods already improve Night Eye, I don't think I'll be touching it so that this remains compatible.

Nord: The second strongest race doesn't need much, so I plan to just improved Battlecry slightly. I will still cause fear on living things, but now will also turn undead (just fear with a different visual effect). On daedra and dwarven machines, I might add a short (3 or 5 seconds) paralysis effect just so it does something.

Orc: Berserk is an amazing power against combat foes the same way that Dragonskin is an amazing power against magic foes, and yet Bretons also got the best passive in the game on top of having it. It's only fair the orcs get a passive too. In past games, orcs have always had magic resistance, but slapping that on them doesn't seem unique enough. I'm not sure what they need.

Redguard: Their passive is terrible and Adrenaline Rush is inferior to simply drinking soup, so they need some help. To keep them more unique, I plan to add a time dilation effect to Adrenaline Rush to greatly improve how useful it is.
#2Matty_G33Posted 6/16/2012 12:09:26 AM(edited)
SkyRe made Orcs get a tempering bonus while Smithing. Not a bad idea to do something similar?

Make Adrenaline Rush increase the running speed of a Redguard, and maybe take a little more damage per hit while it's active, too.

In real life, lizards suppress their immune system to regenerate body parts and whatnot. Perhaps make Histskin a toggle ability of sorts that removes or nerfs the Resist Disease passive, while increasing the health regeneration rate until it's toggled off. Might as well add in the claws passive.

Make Imperials more useful with followers and better at speech checks. They're the race with the silver tongue after all.

Just some ideas to play around with.

EDIT: I'll be interested to see the end result of this mod.
---
This is not a joke, and it's not a test. I put you in this shack to test you. ~Arise, a crap flash game
#3IrenarchPosted 6/16/2012 5:31:03 AM
Matty_G33 posted...
SkyRe made Orcs get a tempering bonus while Smithing. Not a bad idea to do something similar?

Seriously? It gave one of the most powerful races (dat Berserker Rage) a bonus to one of the most useful things in the game (no matter your build, Smithing is always effective)?

Different strokes and all that, but man, I don't understand SkyRe's developer's sense of balance at all (even with the various crazy abilities that the other races get).
---
finally free of the weeaboo name I picked back in 2003
also I'm rarely on here
#4SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 10:01:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 12:27:14 PM
#6SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 1:32:25 PM
#7SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 7:23:14 PM
#8GriffRobertsPosted 6/16/2012 6:31:23 PM
How much disease resistance to Argonians get? If it's not 100% already, that's at least a start. Hell, maybe give them disease AND poison immunity.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#9SushiSquid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2012 6:37:56 PM(edited)
GriffRoberts posted...
How much disease resistance to Argonians get? If it's not 100% already, that's at least a start. Hell, maybe give them disease AND poison immunity.

They normally get 50%. Even if I made it 100%, trading disease immunity for health regeneration of any amount is a no-brainer. You'd just never turn Histskin off. If I want to convert it into a toggle, I'll need something worthy to trade. I'm not even sure I want to do that, though, because it's quite a shift that players may not want. I'm not opposed to boosting their passive, though. They were immune to poison in Oblivion and Morrowind, but don't even get resistance here.
#10GriffRobertsPosted 6/16/2012 6:39:21 PM
Hm. Maybe nerf magicka and stamina regen while boosting health regen? Or nerf something?
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.