How bad would this game be on a 512 MB graphics card?

#21Matty_G33Posted 7/8/2012 8:58:27 PM
You can make a rig with better specs than a MacBook Pro for a third of it's price. Heck, the newer models only actually upgrade the CPU.

Just get a nice Win7 laptop. Runs Skyrim, enough said.
---
If I had to summarize Dawnguard in two words, it would be this: more Skyrim.
~Kotaku journalist failing to understand DLC
#22Dah HulkPosted 7/10/2012 6:15:35 AM
Buy an equivalent-spec PC laptop for a third of the price. Make a MacOS boot drive. Enjoy good gaming performance.
---
Woot.
XBL: loinnird
#23D_BoxPosted 7/10/2012 11:17:37 AM
DO NOT buy a Mac. If you're worried about viruses, get a good free antivirus (google is your friend). And Macs don't last longer, it's the exact opposite. It breaks just as easily as Windows but is a lot harder and more expensive to repair. Whatever stuff you want to do with it, Windows does better and easier. All the useful programs are for Windows and even if you want to use Mac for video editing etc Windows is still better. And costs 1/2 of that of a Mac. The only thing Mac has is that it's pretty.

Also, all the Mac video cards are laptop video cards which are like 1/2 of the power of the desktop cards. Get a good kickass prebuilt desktop for like 1000$ you won't regret it. Or betetr, build your own for like 600$ and it'll max Skyrim with mods at 90 fps.

Or, buy a Mac and curse the day you bought it and play Skyrim 1024x768 low settings...
---
GameFAQS: The place where people think "ass" is spelled "***".
#24F_WolfPosted 7/10/2012 12:48:25 PM
ian2093 posted...
joemama1992 posted...
First of all, what are you planning on using the mac for?

Well that's just the thing, I won't be using it for just gaming, I'll be using it for virtually everything you can use a computer for, so I want quality, and I want it to last. I've always had good experiences with Apple products, and many bad experiences with my PC.

Unless you are explicitly using this for Mac related programs like their photo editing and move creating software, you are wasting money.
#25DeviousLightPosted 7/10/2012 1:38:52 PM
ian2093 posted...
Alright, let's put aside the Internet's hate towards Macs and just help me out here. First off, would it just look bad? Secondly, if anyone knows, can I customize them to have specifically a better graphics card?

lolmac
---
Gamefaqs. Where Frequently Asked Questions are forbidden.
#26sophocles5Posted 7/10/2012 3:44:24 PM
Fa shone, macs do generally have a above average hardware, but beyond that you aren't really getting much more. As people have said Mac PCs are only better than other brand PCs for graphic design and other artsy stuff. For functionality almost any other brand will generally get you more bang for your buck, you just gotta make sure to get decent hardware and know your stuff a little. People hate on Macs because anyone who knows anything about computer hardware would look whats in a mac and look at the price and ask why you're paying twice what you should. What you are paying more for really is just the logo and the OS.

What are you using your lappy for? If it's school or whatever and you want to game just do what I did when I went up to college 4 years ago, get a really crappy laptop/netbook(I got a netbook, really, really awesome for note taking and stuff, doesn't weigh a ton and is super cheap) and then spend on a gaming desktop, using a tv for a monitor if you don't have a monitor. I was able to drop as much as my dad was willing to spend on a decent laptop(a little over $1,000) and made a desktop for gaming and more serious work that kicks ass to this day.(recently upgraded gfx card for like $150 and am maxing skyrim with hd texture packs and such.) I also got a netbook for all the functionality I needed in a laptop. Really awesome route.

Unless you are doing some serious graphic design, are never in a place for more than a couple of months or business has you traveling all the time, there is no need for a powerful laptop. Your money is much better spent on a laptop that will work and is portable and a second desktop gaming computer if you want to game; a desktop is just better. Getting a more powerful laptop because you want to be able to game on it is a waste unless your only viable computer option is a laptop. If you only option is a laptop, don't get a Mac unless you have to as for most things it is just a waste of money.
---
"forget you people, you don't understand, I'm done with this"-X-Japan
#27TemmexPosted 7/10/2012 7:53:45 PM
You sir have quite the conundrum on your hands. You want an everyday computer, a gaming computer, and a laptop. That is not an easy task. If you want portability then a gaming laptop will not be good (bigger and bulkier on average). I would do what most of these people recommend. Get a cheap laptop and a make a gaming rig(really not hard).

Personally I love my mac, but I would never use it for gaming. That is why I built a windows desktop, for gaming. My mac does my day to day far better than my windows laptops ever did, but do not ask for it to be a gaming machine. There aren't even really any OSX supported games, skyrim included.

As for the price thing, if you look at upper end MBP's (especially those with the retina) it is hard to make a laptop that is comparable for half the price. That's not saying you can't buy a craptop and then fill it full of aftermarket for cheaper, but your mobo is gonna blow too. I know I am going to get flamed for this last paragraph, but before you do at least find one that has the same specs as an upper end MBPR at half the price and post it, if you do, I will concede and shut up.

Anyways, TC, don't get a mac for gaming, plain and simple.
#28F_WolfPosted 7/12/2012 5:49:29 AM
Temmex posted...
You sir have quite the conundrum on your hands. You want an everyday computer, a gaming computer, and a laptop. That is not an easy task. If you want portability then a gaming laptop will not be good (bigger and bulkier on average). I would do what most of these people recommend. Get a cheap laptop and a make a gaming rig(really not hard).

Personally I love my mac, but I would never use it for gaming. That is why I built a windows desktop, for gaming. My mac does my day to day far better than my windows laptops ever did, but do not ask for it to be a gaming machine. There aren't even really any OSX supported games, skyrim included.

As for the price thing, if you look at upper end MBP's (especially those with the retina) it is hard to make a laptop that is comparable for half the price. That's not saying you can't buy a craptop and then fill it full of aftermarket for cheaper, but your mobo is gonna blow too. I know I am going to get flamed for this last paragraph, but before you do at least find one that has the same specs as an upper end MBPR at half the price and post it, if you do, I will concede and shut up.

Anyways, TC, don't get a mac for gaming, plain and simple.

What in gods name are you going on about? Alienware makes gaming laptops that start at just under 1,000 dollars and weigh in just over 4 pounds, and they overcharge like crazy. Why they hell would you recommend someone looking for a Mac Book to build a desktop PC.
#29kanated123Posted 7/12/2012 7:10:56 AM
Macs suck. There's no way around that, you can be stubborn all you want as it's only going to cost you your own money.

And Alienwares are overpriced as well, bad example.
#30ishmelwotPosted 7/12/2012 9:48:56 AM
I have owned two mac laptops. I'll be the first to agree that a PC laptop would be better but I don't regret buying the over prices macbook pro. It looks way nice, is small, dosn't run hot, can do what i need it to do. And it has Mac OS on it. I like Windows for gaming but Mac OS has its advantages.