Seeing a double mouse cursor.

#1DawnshadowPosted 7/19/2012 7:26:53 PM
for some reason, when I play Skyrim I can see both the real game cursor and my normal Windows cursor, in different places on the screens, which is very confusing and distracting. (Only the Skyrim cursor actually works.) I'm playing in fullscreen on my primary monitor.(I've downloaded a mod that should allow fullscreen windowed mode, but I want to exhaust other possibilities first.

I've tried running the game with visual themes disabled, as suggested on my searching, but that didn't work. I could disable my second screen, but that would discombobulate my desktop; I'd rather not do that unless I must. Going to try the fullscreen windowed thing now.

Does anyone else have any other advice? :)
---
'Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the Character Battle.' --MetroidSuperfan on GlaDOS' loss.
The Topic Killer since 2001
#2ValiantKnightPosted 7/19/2012 7:44:37 PM
I frequently get a double mouse cursor when I alt+tab to check on something. I have not found a way to fix it other than quitting/reloading.

It never happens to me unless I alt+tab though, and even that does not always cause it 100%.

Your situation seems different, but at least you're not the only one to see double mouse cursor :)
#3DangaardPosted 7/19/2012 7:45:03 PM
This only happens to me when I alt-tab out of the game and then back in. Extremely annoying, although it's a great portrayal of exactly what mouse acceleration is :P
---
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
#4ZantraxPosted 7/19/2012 7:46:57 PM
Yes, happens all the time when you Alt+Tab out of the game, to fix it just click on Skyrim in your taskbar, it should bring up a black screen, move your cursor up to the top of your screen, then back down into the black Skyrim window. The mouse cursor should disappear in a few seconds and then you can just Alt+Tab back into the game without an extra mouse cursor.
---
GT: Yu OWNED You
#5ValiantKnightPosted 7/19/2012 7:48:46 PM
Never happened to me before latest patch I might add
#6SushiSquidPosted 7/19/2012 8:27:00 PM
Yeah, it's a new thing that happens now occasionally when you Alt+Tab. It's not that terribly annoying only because it happens rarely and restarting the game fixes it.
#7AshyRaccoonPosted 7/19/2012 8:37:44 PM
I don't have an answer for it always happening, but for the people getting it when alt+tabbing: In my experience the most sure way to prevent it that is to open the console before alt-tabbing. It's nice being able to open it at any time. It works out better for me than making sure I am in the menu or something.

You could try disabling the Steam community in-game, just a random idea for something to try.
#8Tzuba12Posted 7/19/2012 9:36:55 PM
What everyone else said.
---
Go here and pay me for stuff! http://fiverr.com/tzuba
an atheist scowling at a cheat code. he growls. "....GOD MODE?!"
#9Ice_ShieldPosted 7/19/2012 11:44:56 PM
This used to happen to me way back in the day for anything fullscreen. I just alt-tabbed out of the game, moved my mouse to the most bottom right point on the screen (to where only the top left black pixel of the mouse was visible) and then alt-tabbed back into the game. This way the only thing it does is covers up one pixel in the far corner of your screen.

This works on everything except program's that revert your mouse to the middle of the screen when alt-tabbing back to the game. The only way to fix that is to move your mouse to the bottom right of the screen the instant you hit the "play" button (or whatever launches the game) and hope resolutions don't screw it up when the game launches

I do it so much its become a reflex; anything I launch fullscreen I move my mouse to the bottom right.
---
SNES FAQ Completion Project
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000094-faq-contributors-general/60384415
#10OayarcPosted 7/20/2012 12:39:04 PM(edited)
I am not sure if this will work for everyone, but it works for me to fix it without restarting the game. I am running un-modded BTW. when i try to tab back in the game i have to tab twice anyway (once for a black screen with a windows border, another to see the game)

When i alt-tab in and out, i get the double cursor
I alt tab out again, and then tab back in. On the first black window that pops up, move your windows cursor up to the top of the screen so that it is visible around the top windows bar. then move your windows cursor down until it disappears (about 20-30% down the screen) and left click.

alt - tab again so the game is visible and enjoy a single cursor.
---
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of fans suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. - Star Wars Galaxies