Is it worth installing SkyRe?

#1Matty_G33Posted 9/2/2012 3:06:45 AM
Do you think SkyRe is worth installing? - Results (157 votes)
Yes, download it ASAP! Worth ironing out other mods just for it.
26.11% (41 votes)
Yep, it's somewhat worth having.
9.55% (15 votes)
Yes, though tweak it.
3.82% (6 votes)
It's a double-edged sword.
11.46% (18 votes)
No, it's got some serious bugs.
1.91% (3 votes)
Nope, it's not good. Use a combination of other mods instead.
7.64% (12 votes)
Nah, too many mod conflicts for my liking.
14.65% (23 votes)
Only if you're up to the difficulty.
3.18% (5 votes)
I'll wait for it to polish up a little, THEN download.
10.83% (17 votes)
Other
10.83% (17 votes)
This poll is now closed.
So everyone's been raving about it but I haven't looked into it until now, after thinking about how cool OOO was for Oblivion. It looks quite promising and actually has interesting skills and perks on paper. Some other tweaks sound nice, too.

Thing is though, my game is already heavily modified as it is (108 plugins). I guess some tweaks are just easy to turn off (such as That's Racist) and there's compatibility patches for some mods to work with SkyRe, but still, I'm guessing many other armor and weapon mods that won't work right with SkyRe itself.

It also doesn't help that I've heard from some that it pretty much makes the game Battletoads hard, as I myself play the game on Adept (where oddly, there are enemies who can still take off 1/2 my health even with the armor capped out). A skill cap of 300 sounds...like a lot of grinding too? Someone also said the mod was also all over the place.

I'll probably ask more questions later. For now though, so I come to ask, is SkyRe worth having? Better Magic also compatible?

Interested to see everyone's view on the overhaul mod.
---
You hop around trying to click on the bad guy's head before he clicks on yours first. ~Interrobangin, on CS:GO
#2red255Posted 9/2/2012 3:34:59 AM
I'm currenty using it, Seems to be better than NOT using it (I stopped playing vanillia because I hit level 81... in town)

I started the companions quest at level 50 something and was actively swearing as the Silver hands and Dread lords things were killing me. seriously finishing me off thru 300 HP or so.

First fragment of wuththrad

Not sure if its because I'm in light armor or because my stamina ran out, but I was getting chopped to nothing. after debating it, I think it was my stamina, as when I watched my stamina the fight at the end (which had a room full of like .... 15 dread lords) was managed far more easily.

but the point is you can die.... easily if you don't pay attention.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#3darkholyPLPosted 9/2/2012 7:16:59 AM
Short version: get it.

It's really nice to play Skyrim again with all the changed skill trees and perks, plus I enjoy the challenge SkyRe provides.
As to how hard it is, I played it on Master and managed just fine, provided I didn't just blindly charge in Rambo style. As long as you are careful and pick your fights and use some tricks/strategy you are going to be fine. Just don't expect to tank stuff much.

Currently, at lvl30 on expert my feeble mage is still getting insta-gibbed if I allow the stronger enemies to hit me.
---
"..just scratch any opinion, and underneath it you'll find a human being, trying to justify their own existence." -Richard Jeni
R.o.B id: darkholypl
#4T3nd0Posted 9/2/2012 8:23:12 AM
As I, as the creator, see it, there's still a few issues in the current version that might reduce your fun.

1. Destruction is overpowered. I think that's fixed for 0.99.18, but needs testing.
2. Illusion is close to vanilla (and thus overpowered). Working on it. Not sure if everyone will like what I do though. ^^
3. Technically, it's an alpha ( as in "not feature complete"). Some people come in, ignore the version number, and expect to have an easy time updating. Sometimes it's easy, but between major updates, saves are usually not compatible.

The difficulty isn't as haxxy as some report. People sometimes complain about taking too much damage and dealing no damage - while playing on master... I'm balancing towards "adept". Also, common sense helps. When attempting to take on an entire fort of bandits at once, heavy armor will not rescue you if you just rush in. Tactic will.

And compatibility depends on the kind of mods you want to use on top of SkyRe. Running 100+ additional mods is no problem, as long as they're wisely chosen.
#5SushiSquidPosted 9/2/2012 8:26:23 AM(edited)
Skyrim is a great game without any mods. All it needs is a scalpel to fix some smaller issues. SkyRe is a freaking sledgehammer. I don't feel such a hard change is necessary, plus it really doesn't play nicely with other mods.

However, if you do want a drastic change, it may be for you.
#6T3nd0Posted 9/2/2012 9:29:00 AM
I disagree, but each to his own. ;)
#7red255Posted 9/2/2012 10:39:13 AM(edited)
T3nd0 posted...
As I, as the creator, see it, there's still a few issues in the current version that might reduce your fun.

1. Destruction is overpowered. I think that's fixed for 0.99.18, but needs testing.
2. Illusion is close to vanilla (and thus overpowered). Working on it. Not sure if everyone will like what I do though. ^^
3. Technically, it's an alpha ( as in "not feature complete"). Some people come in, ignore the version number, and expect to have an easy time updating. Sometimes it's easy, but between major updates, saves are usually not compatible.

Destruction isn't all that overpowered.

sure its doing alot of damage to me, but I got ALCHEMY which makes some easy potions of 100% resist fire/shock/frost/magic for 60 seconds.

Maybe damage wise as a player using it would do more damage, especially with the potions I can make, but to ME it seems like a threat which I have to CONSIDER and give my gear resistance to fire/frost/shock more value.

I just havent because of the resist magic potions I apparently can make.

why do you think its overpowered? its a resource using ability so it should do more DPS than...archery I guess. at similiar skill levels. Maybe not more than Archery with smithed, enchanted rounds (or poisoned exploding rounds or whatever you gave it)

but thats the bar.

I haven't tried destruction yet, but whats been cast ON me I liked the change, anything weaker and I would probably just ignore it entirely.

SushiSquid posted...
Skyrim is a great game without any mods. All it needs is a scalpel to fix some smaller issues. SkyRe is a freaking sledgehammer. I don't feel such a hard change is necessary, plus it really doesn't play nicely with other mods.

However, if you do want a drastic change, it may be for you.

??? what do you mean? I played vanilla skyrim and with smithed endgame weapons and not restricting yourself the game is way too easy.

Yeah you could somehow just restrict yourself. but I prefer a mod to restrict myself FOR me. (I have issues with restraining myself)

as for calling it a sledgehammer? really? why do you say that?
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#8kyosuke34Posted 9/2/2012 11:12:31 AM
for me its hate and love relationship with skyre
I mean its gotten better then when i firrrst tried it but still... it goes like this
archery , one hand / one magic , pure mage are all great with skyre
two handed/ dual wield seem to be still kinda eh

far as skyre vs vanilla , its tons better in every way possible but stll needs abit of work

better comparison is skyre vs requiem hehe
---
The mmo that beats wow will be the first that tries not to .
#9kyosuke34Posted 9/2/2012 11:21:04 AM
as for mod conflicts , only ones i have really had thus far is with perk reset ( cant even get the skyre comp version to work )) and when i was doing a weird arcane archer build , and was trying to use a mod that allowed you to make all different types of bows with that were based off your destruction magic ( like poison bow, fire bow, ice bow etc)) and ya the archery skills in skyre didnt work with it , like none of the perks in archery counted toward the magic bows >:0 .
---
The mmo that beats wow will be the first that tries not to .
#10SushiSquidPosted 9/2/2012 2:20:29 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]