Good Race Revamp mod?

#1BowserCuffsPosted 9/12/2012 5:10:03 AM
I will admit that, well, people have a point when they point out that the vanilla races are very samey aside from their 24 hour ability.

So, I was kinda looking into a good race revamp mod. Something that makes them different without necessarily going overboard. And not one that goes "Morrowind/Oblivion did it best so I'll just copy that as best as I can." If I wanted to play Oblivion or Morrowind, I'd play, well, Oblivion (since I don't have Morrowind anymore)

It doesn't need to be lore friendly, either, just needs some variety and balance.

I should also mention that I dislike and have always disliked the Altmer weakness to everything magical. Such a severe weakness that no other race ever suffered for a relatively minimal magicka bonus and negligable skill bonuses. Bretons were pretty much superior to Altmer in every important way unless you like to abuse developer oversights with Altmer and spell absorption in Morrowind.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21587

Character Creation Overhaul looks like it could be very interesting (it adds races, too) but the genders are kinda... da fuq'd.

http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/21587-1-1345530900.jpg

Going by this chart... Argonian females have a strict +20 Magicka advantage over Argonian males with absolutely no downsides to compensate. Conversely, Breton Females are completely weaker in every way than Breton Males. And so on.

While I understand that this was derived from Oblivion/Morrowind stats, there's the problem in the fact that the genders are [i]not[/i] remotely balanced like they were in Oblivion/Morrowind. Whereas an Argonian Male would be physically stronger than an Argonian Female, while the Female would be more mystical, here, we have the fact that apparently, the females are just as strong as the males, and have more magicka reserves to boot. And apparently, Breton females are kept from doing anything productive

(In truth, I've never been fond of the gender stat differences in TES games, and it was something that I was glad was done away with in Skyrim - Regardless, that's my personal preference)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20928

There's also this mod but it doesn't fix cameras so you're kinda looking out of your characters' chest if they're taller.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77224622&searchtext=Race

This mod looks quite good, actually...

Eh. Any suggestions?
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#2SlakrPosted 9/12/2012 6:11:54 AM(edited)
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/18911

Edit: I didn't realize he also put it on the workshop. I never bothered using special racial powers before getting this mod. Now I use them all the time, because they're actually worth using.
---
Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in this galaxy that can make that claim.
#3pokemeisterPosted 9/12/2012 8:37:35 AM
Gotta put my money behind "That's Racist". It blends so well into the base game that you'd think that this was how it always was.
---
Out of personal preference, I do not use glitches to sequence break games, or skip required items.
#4GriffRobertsPosted 9/12/2012 8:56:42 AM
I love "That's Racist". It's a simple approach that solves the problem of racial variety, without changing anything else. Plus the new effects are all really cool. My only real beef is that it doesn't do anything for Bretons, but the mod was made specifically to "make every other race as awesome as the Breton", so I can get that.
---
Sometimes I edit my sig so it continues whatever I was posting about.
#5BowserCuffs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 1:06:52 PM
Huh. "That's Racist" it is.

SushiSquid does seem to be pretty good at editing just enough to satisfy a need. I'll check out other mods from him.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
#6SushiSquidPosted 9/12/2012 2:38:57 PM
I wouldn't really call That's Racist a revamp, but that was sort of the point. I wanted to touch as little as possible, just enough to balance the races without making a ton of conflicts with other mods. If you only want a small edit, it might be for you. There are a few really nice mods that more dramatically overhaul the races, though. I personally use That's Racist alongside Character Creation Overhaul, which also helps make races feel more unique.
#7BowserCuffs(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 4:10:33 PM
My only real problem with Character Creation Overhaul is, as I said, the unbalanced genders. Like I said, I understand he was going for Oblivion/Morrowind values, but the result is kinda disappointing.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
#8SushiSquidPosted 9/12/2012 4:47:59 PM
It is strange, I know. For most races, their genders both have equal point totals. Why some don't I can't explain. I never play as female characters anyway, but it is a bit odd to make one gender of a couple of races purely better.