modding question

#1kenpachi99Posted 10/14/2012 4:32:41 AM
I everyone this is my first step into PC gaming and I was wondering about modding games. Do you have to be a master at programming Or is it like a simple click and drag type thing? By the way what is this Creation Kit thing I have been hearing about?
---
SSBB FC: 1462-5913-8004
XBL/PSN: hairlessraiden
#2SlakrPosted 10/14/2012 4:39:46 AM
For installing most mods, it's a matter of unpackaging an archive (usually either .zip or .rar) to your Skyrim/Data folder. That's a very basic action.

Using the Creation Kit is a bit more advanced. You can create very simple mods (such as adjusting NPCs appearances) with very little computer knowledge. More complex mods (such as creating new spells) require some scripting knowledge.
---
Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in this galaxy that can make that claim.
#3WisdomonmylipsPosted 10/14/2012 5:21:53 AM
There's a wealth of youtube videos and documents that can get you up to speed with modding. With the creation kit, it turns most modding of the game into click and drag. You don't need any former knowledge to become a great modder. Watch the videos and play around and you'll get good in no time.
#4savagemoonlightPosted 10/14/2012 6:07:09 AM
Hi. If you are interested in modding, I would suggest experimenting with SkyEdit first, its a very stripped down and basic version of the Beth Creation Kit, but good enough for some basic to mid-tier modding, like changing spell effects, spells names, perk effects, perk trees, which require little to no programming skills.

For the more advance stuff like creating areas, effects, scripting etc, you will definitely need the CK. However I must warn that the CK is quite whimsical, its prone to hanging, crashing, sometimes adding some unintended stuff but the worst would be it takes forever to load. I would suggest feeling your way around with SkyEdit first before moving on to the CK.

Every great modder starts somewhere.
#5CarlzillaPosted 10/14/2012 7:43:52 AM
savagemoonlight posted...
Hi. If you are interested in modding, I would suggest experimenting with SkyEdit first, its a very stripped down and basic version of the Beth Creation Kit, but good enough for some basic to mid-tier modding, like changing spell effects, spells names, perk effects, perk trees, which require little to no programming skills.

For the more advance stuff like creating areas, effects, scripting etc, you will definitely need the CK. However I must warn that the CK is quite whimsical, its prone to hanging, crashing, sometimes adding some unintended stuff but the worst would be it takes forever to load. I would suggest feeling your way around with SkyEdit first before moving on to the CK.

Every great modder starts somewhere.

I would watch out using SkyEdit. Some of the mods that were created with SkyEdit have been known to cause problems for some people. In fact, I'd suggest just skipping it entirely.

As far as the original question is concerned, to make a truly great mod a bit of both programming and clicking and dragging is usually required. However, you can add basic things just by clicking and dragging them into a new or already existing area. You should still familiarize yourself with how things effect the game by reading and watching some tutorials.
---
Never trusted preachers, I hate priests; I'd rather worship the unholy beast!
last.fm/user/Carlzilla // rateyourmusic.com/~RlyehLiberationFront
#6CerebornPosted 10/14/2012 8:02:20 AM
Do you actually want to write your own mods, or are you just looking at finding and installing existing mods?
---
http://www.magxone.com/uploads/2011/02/Michelle-Trachtenberg-Maxim-3.jpg
The incomparable Michelle Trachtenberg
#7kenpachi99(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2012 1:37:42 PM
both.

Cereborn posted...
Do you actually want to write your own mods, or are you just looking at finding and installing existing mods?

---
SSBB FC: 1462-5913-8004
XBL/PSN: hairlessraiden