Question about GameStop/Steam interaction for DLC

#1Spartan647Posted 12/28/2012 6:12:11 AM
Heya all, after about two hours of searching, I can't quite find an answer to a question I had about how Dawnguard would be treated in my case. Hopefully someone here can lend an ear.

See, I bought Skyrim back at launch through Steam. And I've passed up buying Dawnguard for quite awhile now, but I received a gift-card to GameStop from my sister for Christmas, and they currently have it on sale for just $13 instead of $20.

My major concern here is that for some reason it won't be compatible with my Steam version of the game, since it wasn't purchased from GameStop. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? If I purchase the PC download through GameStop, do they give me a code to redeem it on Steam, or do I have to download it through one of their services? I've never dealt with their online component before, so I quite literally haven't a clue how they handle the transaction.
---
So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter... A Snark Knight.
#2BeriornPosted 12/28/2012 6:25:16 AM
It should work. I don't know how Gamestop normally works (you should look it up), but I guess they will give you a code that you can redeem in Steam (under the tab Games - Activate a Product on Steam).
---
"Oh yeah!"
~ Lucius the Eternal on most things.
#3Lord_BadmagicPosted 12/28/2012 7:03:17 AM
You cant play the game without steam unless you use a pirate version so the DLC will be the same regardless of retail or digital distribution.

As Beriorn said, you just 'activate the product on steam' using the licence key, the disc also saves you having to download it in its entirety then once its done pack it away for any future re-installs.
---
"Whatever blows your hair back"
#4Spartan647(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 8:00:54 AM
Apologies, I must not have been clear enough in my phrasing... My concern is that the Dawnguard download from GameStop will not work with my Steam copy, since they were purchased from completely different sources. I don't want to turn off Steam or pirate it or whatever. I just have no idea how they actually distribute the download through GameStop's online service, and don't want to blow $10 on a piece of DLC that will only work with a copy of Skyrim purchased from there as well.
---
So they'll insult me, because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a vocal critic, a watchful commenter... A Snark Knight.
#5simsamsalabimPosted 12/28/2012 8:14:51 AM
You should be able to install the dlc from the disk to your game no matter where it is installed. There should be no compatibility issues. Also, there should be a steam code included with the disk if you would rather have it downloaded through steam instead.
---
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/users/119570
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198051897674/myworkshopfiles