Looking for some decent Battlemage/Spellsword mods and suggestions

#1BowserCuffsPosted 1/19/2013 9:07:58 PM
My problem with Battlemage is that, well... I don't know.

It feels like, instead of my abilities working together, they're working against each other.

I'm also not really feeling the "mage" part of the "battlemage". Like I'm somehow wasting my potential but either not wearing a shield or not dual-casting destruction spells.

(it would probably also help if I would stop gravitating towards maces, which make the process feel a lot more sluggish)

Eh. I would kinda like to get back into a battlemage/spellsword character, but I'd like to use some mods to help mix things up better, or at least some suggestions.

I did see that whole thing with being a sort of warrior-mage, where you cast a mage armor spell, then you use a bound weapon to tear things up. That seems kinda neat, but it doesn't seem quite like a battlemage. More like a ... um... daedric monk? (And I'm using monk in less the "kung fu" sense and more the "ascetic" sense)

TK Combat looks interesting, though I'm not entirely sure about it.

And to clarify, when I say Battlemage/Spellsword, I mean one that uses Destruction. A battlemage without destruction is pretty much not a battlemage :P.

Anyways, some things.

1. Should my battlemage wear light armor or heavy armor, if he is to wear armor? There is precedence for either.
2. Swords, Axes, or a Bound Sword? I'm giving up on maces for non-shield, non-Cleric gameplay.
3. Should I use another mod instead of Better Magic?

Also...

4. Nightblade mods. Since Nightblades are to Thieves and Assassins what Battlemages and Spellswords are to Warriors, I feel they can and should get a little love, at least when it comes to Destruction which they're supposed to be good at. I already know that nightblades are immensely powerful with Illusion.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#2DCsharkerPosted 1/19/2013 9:18:41 PM
I wouldn't look too far into mods that change the mechanics, I would rather look into discovering how you can find mods that compliment your natural gameplay of a spellsword.

Omegared99 - Armor Compilation is a cool mod. It adds warmage and battlemage armor as well as a staff, which I don't use, but the armor is cool,. You're going to want light armor in my opinion because of wind walker. Your stamina regenerates 50% faster with this perk. Also learn enchantments like crazy and start decking out your gear.

I made a breton spellsword. The main 3 things to level would be Destruction, Conjuring and then 1h. In no particular order, but favoring magic would be your best bet.
#3aamfirdausPosted 1/19/2013 10:01:12 PM
I suggest you look at this mod. This provides class with different unique abilities. [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16736]

If not, you can always use vanilla without spells mod like Apocalypse or LF Magic Combat.
1. Depends on the mods you are using. With vanilla, you can wear anything, without penalty. Heavy armor makes you tough, but light armor is lighter. Though, I prefer light armor for mobility. If you want to stay with robes, don't forget Alteration for mage armor.
2. I'd rather you use sword. Sword is faster than axe or mace. This is just a matter of preference.
3. There are many cool spell mods out there, which perfectly fit battlemage/spellsword build. I use Apocalypse, and I prefer raising Alteration/Restoration to Destruction.
#4BowserCuffs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 1:47:53 AM
Actually, I'm using a mod that makes adds penalties to spellcasting while in armor (basically, your magicka regenerates slower while in heavy armor than in light armor, and slower in light armor than in heavy armor) and also increases the strength of your head/body enchantments if you're wearing no armor whatsoever (in addition to increasing the power of your spells by a slight amount)

I've always thought that cloth should be easier to enchant and capable of bigger enchantments than, say, daedric. It didn't make much sense to me that once your enchanted enchantments got stronger than the default robes, that it was pointless to wear them anymore.

...Regardless, according to Arena, Battlemages wear light armor but are better at spellcasting than Spellswords who wear heavy armor. So perhaps that's what I'll go with.

I'll definitely reinstall Apocalypse -- I remember that it has elemental powers that temporarily enchant whatever weapons you have equipped. They are Alteration, though.

So, considering that I'm using Character Creation Overhaul (though I may switch to that one after this character) I can actually make custom characters, with six major skills possible.

So... One-Handed, Light Armor, Destruction, Restoration, Alteration, and Conjuration. Seems simple enough.

Only downside is, no Enchant, but I think Apocalypse will replace that.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
#5THE_WTF_PANDAPosted 1/20/2013 1:59:23 AM
I'd say apocalypse spell pack is a must and Skyrim Spells And Powers By WarriorKeKe is really good too. Some of the spells are way OP but you don't have to use those. I can't pay without these now. They really change the dynamic of all schools of magic for the better, making each school more versatile and adaptable for any play style.
#6SixpakPosted 1/20/2013 3:22:41 AM
Never felt more like a spellsword until using TK combat, it's customizable as well so you don't have to worry about it unbalancing your game. The magic effects scale with your destruction, and the physical dmg effects scale with your melee damage.

You can also tweak it so they cost more mana..less mana.. more damage...less damage etc.

Dual wield parry is a must as a spellsword.

Also Forgotten Magic has lots of spells useful to utilize in one hand only. And some things ( like solar sphere ) that will imbue your weapon with fire while the spell is active. It's IMO the best spell mod out there by far.
---
360 Gamertag: kapxis
#7BowserCuffs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 11:35:37 PM
I'll definitely look into that.

So, in the same vein, anyone know of any nightblade-style mods?
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
#8aamfirdausPosted 1/21/2013 1:18:39 AM
I think Nightblade is like Illusionist and Stealth build. It is a decent class than complement each skill.
#9BowserCuffs(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 2:50:33 AM
aamfirdaus posted...
I think Nightblade is like Illusionist and Stealth build. It is a decent class than complement each skill.

While this is true, traditionally, Nightblades have always had a focus in Destruction more than Illusion.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
#10aamfirdausPosted 1/21/2013 3:41:45 AM
BowserCuffs posted...
aamfirdaus posted...

While this is true, traditionally, Nightblades have always had a focus in Destruction more than Illusion.

Might be. But I prefer blade instead of Destruction, since the nature of destruction spell is not silent.