Do you guys ever wonder what went through the minds of Bethesda?

#31AdrenasPosted 1/20/2013 11:52:08 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
TGPomy9795 posted...
Will you people ever be happy? Sure, this game doesn't have everything perfect, but it is by far one of the best games made. You need to take it for what is it, not for what it should have been. Bethesda did a hell of a job on this game. This thread just proves that video game developers can never please everybody....Don't like something? Download a mod to fix it and quiet down.

from a game design standpoint skyrim is very poor. actually i'd argue skyrims content in general is rather low quality. skyrim just shows that quantity > quality

Now you're just trolling.
---
I used to be an internet troll like you, but then I took an arrow in my immaturity.
#32bionicman_3090Posted 1/21/2013 1:31:38 AM
Adrenas posted...
Now you're just trolling.

No, I'd say MrMikeyMike is right. Most new games out there now are leaning towards "quantity" over "quality". Look at Far Cry 3 for e.g., The main story is good but everything else in the game is there just as filler material.

Skyrim's premise is very promising but the execution of it all, like, the guilds, the main quest, most skills, numerous bugs, radiant quests, stupid rewards included the level-scaled loot and other misc stuff like marriage, spells, mobs that don't scale past a certain point, lackluster dragons, etc etc... are proof that Skyrim isn't a well thought-of game.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#33AdrenasPosted 1/21/2013 10:20:25 AM
There is truly no pleasing some gamers. I don't think a game developer could please some of you even if they made a custom game just for you from start to finish while accomplishing your every request. You would still talk it down like some kind of weird video game hipster.
---
I used to be an internet troll like you, but then I took an arrow in my immaturity.
#34BowserCuffsPosted 1/21/2013 12:41:18 PM
Er, no, that's not what I would call a video game hipster.

I disagree with Bionic on this, and I think he emphasizes the negative in spite of the positive, but he's no hipster.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#35bionicman_3090Posted 1/21/2013 6:25:38 PM
Adrenas posted...
There is truly no pleasing some gamers. I don't think a game developer could please some of you even if they made a custom game just for you from start to finish while accomplishing your every request. You would still talk it down like some kind of weird video game hipster.

Just 'cause you're happy with mediocrity, like the new generation fanboys, doesn't mean everyone should be the same.

@Bowser :- The reason I sound negative when it comes to Skyrim is 'cause in every aspect of the game, there are equal or more number of negatives than positives. Even in character building. "Fix it with mods" isn't an argument.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#36DartkunPosted 1/21/2013 6:47:15 PM
Ok... you guys are stupid.

"GUESS THEY'LL NEVER MAKE ANYONE HAPPY" is not a valid way to discredit peoples complaints.

Yeah, you're right. Some people will never be happy. Guess what, there is not a single thing in this world that everyone universally agrees on. Go ahead, think of something. At least one person will like it and at least one person will dislike it.

Using that is an admission you can't argue on the content and are happy to avoid the subject.

There are reasons why Skyrim is great and reasons that it is lacking. Just because some things are good doesn't mean all the bad things are negated.
---
BlazBlue CSX: Mu-12 and Taokaka
youtube.com/user/Shinius
#37BowserCuffsPosted 1/21/2013 8:41:50 PM(edited)
bionicman_3090 posted...
Adrenas posted...

Just 'cause you're happy with mediocrity, like the new generation fanboys, doesn't mean everyone should be the same.

@Bowser :- The reason I sound negative when it comes to Skyrim is 'cause in every aspect of the game, there are equal or more number of negatives than positives. Even in character building. "Fix it with mods" isn't an argument.

The problem with that is that a lot of negative things are either blown out of proportion, over emphasized, or just a matter of opinion.

Not to mention there are a lot of positive things about the game that are just flat-out ignored.

I would venture to say that Morrowind has a lot more negatives than most people care to admit, and Skyrim has a lot more positives than most people care to admit.

After all, Morrowind once went through what Skyrim is going through now. Accused of pandering to the consoles, of dumbing down the series, and the only people who ilke it are graphic ... fanboys.

Sometimes, you have to accept the good with the bad, as well as the bad with the good. And hell, I admit Skyrim has a lot of issues. So did Morrowind. And a lot of Morrowind fanboys will quickly jump in to say "Fix it with mods" too.

We aren't so different.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Skyrim strikes a great balance between hardcore and casual. There's plenty to do for casual gamers, but if you want to 100% the game, you're going to be spending a long time working at it.

Hell, I still play it more than Morrowind and Oblivion combined. Graphics don't really have anything to do with it, but graphic design does. While a lot of people seem to complain about the crypts being copy-pasta, I gotta say, I don't really see it that way. Each crypt I've explored so far has felt distinctive. And there's a lot of subtle quality to the world that I think most gamers glance over.

I am of the firm belief that people who want to see something negative in something will see it. All of us, myself included, are subject to confirmation bias.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#38KaushadPosted 1/21/2013 8:48:40 PM
The following post is essentially what I like and dislike about my 2 favorite of the series.

Skyrim:
Like:
Perk Trees
Voice acting
College of winterhold(compared to morrowind's mage's guild anyway...)
the combat, compared to morrowind at least.

dislike:
Main quest was meh
Short guild lines
Redundancy
The fact that your race plays little role on what your char can do. An altmer can wear heavy armor just as good as the others, simply because there is no well defined class system or major/minor skills.
(On that note) the lack of major and minor skills, morrowind did it right, why can't we keep it?

Morrowind:
Like:
Skills! if you weren't good at short blade, don't expect to do squat with it, it made you focus on your class of player more.
exploration aspect
graphics(after MGSO)
Lore, loads of lore
That race mattered in what you could do. Don't expect an altmer to magicaly be amazing in anything but magic.
The depth
Levitate. We should all miss this lovely spell.

Dislike:
the combat... need I say more?
the mages guild. It was essentially a fetch and get questline the. entire. freaking. time.
same can be said for the thieves guild, but it was usually thieving anyway.

Oblivion:(just started, so far)
Like: THE COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dear Science, they did this the best. The character models look like s***, but the rest looks amazing!!!!

Haven't played it enough yet to know though.

Overall series:
Dislike:
combat
bugs(then again, I may forget I am playing an elder scrolls game if I didn't see a falling actor every now again)

My .02
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaushad/
#39PathlessBulletPosted 1/21/2013 9:10:13 PM
Yeah, Bethesda games have been lax in their priorities lately ( dragon AI over half decent writing, quantity over quality, etc.) and every TES game seems to have crap combat no matter what yearly standard you hold it to.

People say the saving grace of TES is the exploration, but that's mostly just generically textured dungeon crawls with no loot based incentive at the end. TBQH the only reason I think this series is so popular is because it is one of the few first person RPG's on the market. If it was strictly third person we probably wouldn't have seen another TES game after Arena.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#40Brenz0rPosted 1/21/2013 9:14:41 PM
bshwalker posted...
I think Beth was thinking, "Get it out on time!" and nothing else.

They also tried to spend a lot of time working on graphics that would fit on the X360. Since all the dialogue in the game is also fully-voiced, that chews up a lot of space.
---
"We get serious about fictional girl underpants, and kid around when it comes to topics like world hunger." ~Teepo on CAGN