Do you guys ever wonder what went through the minds of Bethesda?

#41PathlessBulletPosted 1/21/2013 9:16:40 PM
Brenz0r posted...
bshwalker posted...
I think Beth was thinking, "Get it out on time!" and nothing else.

They also tried to spend a lot of time working on graphics that would fit on the X360. Since all the dialogue in the game is also fully-voiced, that chews up a lot of space.

I'm sure it doesn't take much effort for a company to develop for a console they've had 7+ years experience with.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#42BowserCuffsPosted 1/21/2013 11:52:52 PM
PathlessBullet posted...
Brenz0r posted...
bshwalker posted...
I think Beth was thinking, "Get it out on time!" and nothing else.

They also tried to spend a lot of time working on graphics that would fit on the X360. Since all the dialogue in the game is also fully-voiced, that chews up a lot of space.

I'm sure it doesn't take much effort for a company to develop for a console they've had 7+ years experience with.

Good god, has the 360 been out that long already?

I'm an old guy :(
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#43murdochAVPosted 1/22/2013 12:34:43 AM
Combat is dull. Conversations tend to be minimally interactive. Races are mostly the same, and almost every character winds up as a hybrid of some sort. Faction questlines are way too short.

And yet I STILL love the crap out of this game for the amazing world it offers to explore. So whatever went through their minds, I'm cool with it.
#44BowserCuffsPosted 1/22/2013 12:57:36 AM
I think Skyrim took some right steps into making combat more of an interactive experience (Mostly the block perks which encourage you to block until an enemy does a power attack, and then knock them off balance and tear them apart)

But it didn't take enough steps.

On the other hand, I don't want it Dark Souls level of complex. That's going too far in the other direction. If you want to play Dark Souls... play Dark Souls.
---
Certified Dragon Maniac
I went to College for Obsessions and everything to get that certification.
#45PathlessBulletPosted 1/22/2013 7:36:06 AM
BowserCuffs posted...
I think Skyrim took some right steps into making combat more of an interactive experience (Mostly the block perks which encourage you to block until an enemy does a power attack, and then knock them off balance and tear them apart)

But it didn't take enough steps.

On the other hand, I don't want it Dark Souls level of complex. That's going too far in the other direction. If you want to play Dark Souls... play Dark Souls.

How is the combat in Dark Souls "complex"? Yeah, it feels satisfying to swing weapons and make contact with them.... but the combat is hardly "complex".

Skyrim would benefit from meatier feeling combat with a more involved stamina meter.
---
ADD, no. Where is the thread for Fallout OCD players?
"We have to keep it on page 3 or it freaks out."
#46NitharadPosted 1/22/2013 8:19:40 AM
I have the most fun setting a goal for myself, working towards that goal, fool a bit around after reaching it and feeling badass ... well and then it does become a bit boring yeah.

But the game is only as challenging as you allow it to be. If you just do the Mainquest right from the start you will face some difficulties. If you however first explore the world, level up, gather great gear, up your skills, etc. etc. etc. Then of course at some point you just overpower everything, even Alduin.

Skyrim, or the TES series in general is about Progression, just like you said. The way is the goal, to become stronger and stronger and have some cool adventures and stories on the way.
If you hit some kind of glass ceiling or your progress just doesn't matter anymore because you're pretty much a physical god walking the earth ... then yeah ...

Bethesda should try to add more and longer "paths" that you can follow. Like the Vampire/Werewolve stuff ... that could be sooooo deep. As a werewolf you could start out as a small little "cub" and then slowly ascend to be a pack-leader and gather the strength to become equal to the most ancient and powerful werewolves, and then lead a war against the Vampires or stuff. Same could be true for the Vampire-side, start out weak and work your way up, form alliances, betray other vampires, manipulate the worlds politics, etc.
And then like I said, have "more" paths, like ... I would love to become a Lich, or instead of adding these "transformation", develop factions further. Have the mage-questline be bigger, spend a lot more time in "school", learn stuff and in the end be a true-archmage, not because the position just happened to be free, but because you truly are the most powerful wizard.
Or the whole "You have the soul of a dragon" ... you could so SO much with that. Like giving us the opportunity to morph our body to match our soul, becoming a Dragon, maybe even have a cool Hybrid-Form.

I just see so much wasted potential ... and yes I know these are tall orders, money and resources are limited, deadlines are important and stuff. But still ... the sense of progress is the strongest point of the TES series.
#47bshwalkerPosted 1/22/2013 10:00:24 AM
To add to my earlier post about getting the game out in time, it seems like they had the basic game ready to go. Then they were going to tick off certain things as release day approached. So you had your basic schools of play, magic, melee and stealth. You had your basic stories, dragons, the guilds all the other stuff that's in the game. It seems like they ran out of time to finish things that were clearly in the base game, but was never used.
Crossbows were visible in the ck but they weren't playable. They were called crossbows, had all the stats of a crossbow and existed in dwemer ruins but the animations didn't exist to use them as such and simply looked like dwemer bows when activated.
The npcs will yell "I submit!" And then stand up and attack you. You had to kill them anyway so what's the point?
All that did was tell me that I had to kill someone begging for his life.
In fact, there is zero alternative to killing anyone that you engage, be it in combat or by stealth.
Not a big deal for most players and probably not noticeable if you plan on fighting and killing all enemies.
But when you're role playing an honorable character, killing an enemy that's on his knees and pleading for mercy, you notice it.
There are no alternatives for killing, aside from the tiny percentage of npcs that say "death is highly over rated" and run away. Fatigue is in the game. All it does is make crits and power blows impossible. In the ck, after some searching, you can see that fatigue that leads to collapse is in there but never working. That would have allowed an entire new approach to combat; the knock out. That would have opened up the way for knockout potions, knock outs from combat, stealth attacks...
It also could allow an npc to be knocked out and robbed or worse, knocked out, robbed, and then dragged to a body of water and drowned or thrown off a cliff. (These are things that could be done in Oblivion) in fact, it would cause the instance where thugs come to "teach you a lesson" to make sense. Dead people don't learn lessons yet every time I encounter these guys, they've killed me (because I allow it to happen to see what happens) being knocked out would make more sense.
It looks like that stuff was set up to be in the game because the ck shows that the ground work was laid for it. In fact the x-bows eventually showed up. As a result, you're either a pick pocketing thief or a murdering thief. Never a mugger. You either run away or fight to the death. You don't get submissions.
But something happened that didn't allow all of those and other things to be made playable in the game.
I tend to believe it was 11/11/11.

It's not a bad game, but to me it's just a free roam Mortal Kombat.
It's a pretty game and fun, once I figured out a different way to play it, but I think it was supposed to be more.
---
Pretentious, nostalgia goggles wearing, hipster and proud of it! Don't like it? Suck it up! You weren't there. I l'aiq, M'aiq.
~C.O.I.~