Is Skyrim A Good Game Even Without Mods?

#1CadoOrgoPosted 2/5/2013 12:01:11 PM
Is Skyrim a good game even without mods? - Results (369 votes)
Yes
81.03% (299 votes)
No
18.97% (70 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Here's a poll where we can get an actual idea of how people feel. Considering the other poll actually confused some into choosing the answer opposite of their actual feelings.
---
'God' is nothing but an image created out of their insecurity. - Wiegraf Folles
#2CadoOrgo(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:03:12 PM
My answer is yes, even without mods I still would have played this game and thought it was a pretty good game. Would I have still played it on PC? Yes, most likely, I just prefer PC games to console games.
---
'God' is nothing but an image created out of their insecurity. - Wiegraf Folles
#3NolaxPosted 2/5/2013 12:17:43 PM
Not really.

Terrible story
Terrible characters with no development
Bad quests
Crappy combat
Broken quests and gltiches in their thousands
Most uniques look like starter equipment (So lazy)
Not much variety in enemies, weapons or armour

So much more too but i can'tbe bothered to write any more.
#4Stalker415Posted 2/5/2013 12:38:34 PM
It's like having a top-tier gaming PC with the smallest monitor that has the worst available resolution
#5AlkVelronPosted 2/5/2013 12:49:40 PM(edited)
For me the vanilla game is still 'fun', so in that sense it's a good game. It's something I can sit down and mindlessly play at times, simply enjoying the exploration and positive stimulation of leveling up my skills and character. I enjoy the game for what it is.

That said, from a more critical perspective the game has some serious shortcomings. The UI, quests, and campaign quests are an absolute mess. Some of the guilds are just completely ass-backwards, and it's really hard to take things seriously with the derpy dialogue cutting itself off between different NPCs, or a character trying to show some emotion while they perform an awkward animation. Mods do fix some of these issues, or they at least help cover up these problems by distracting you with better content.

So overall, yes, I'd say Skyrim is a 'good' game even without mods. It still functions as a game, but it's really not much of an experience. It has a few shining points, but it's hard to remember them when most of the game feels so unpolished. That said, the game with the right mods can seriously elevate it to a much greater status.
---
XBL/PSN/STEAM Account Name - NEREVAR117
"If this is the chosen way, then there's nothing left to say."
#6ShimmerManPosted 2/5/2013 12:53:46 PM
Most of the mods which are worth using don't actually add anything to the gameplay..
I have not download not even one mod which actually consistently made the gameplay "better". Typically the best mods are just the aesthetic enhancements, such as textures/new armours etc. All these mods which add one hundred spells are bad mods with bad gameplay balance changes.
#7Ep1taph303Posted 2/5/2013 1:25:26 PM
I admited my mistakes with that thread/poll. I even asked if making a new poll would be okay. People told me no, it would have been redundant. Also everyone complaining about it failed to read past the topic title. While it's my fault to a degree, I do not control how people vote. It's basic reading comprehension and I will not be held wholly accountable.. :-)
---
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966683944/
#8bshwalkerPosted 2/5/2013 2:39:29 PM
No.
At best it's average.

Mods have added things to the game that were missing such as unarmed and unarmored combat, horses that actually act like horses, useful alchemy and cooking, meltdown and better crafting, npcs that are interesting and actually enjoyable to talk to, an actual war instead of just hearing about it, and sooo much more.
Skyrim was a bland foundation that was pointless and barren until modders came along and started building a house that you can customize and make beautiful to your own liking.
Without mods, I was done with this game in 4 hrs.
---
Pretentious, nostalgia goggles wearing, hipster and proud of it! Don't like it? Suck it up! You weren't there. I l'aiq, M'aiq.
~C.O.I.~
#9KyerofoxPosted 2/5/2013 2:42:22 PM
It's good without but great with them.

It's in no means a bad game, you want bad go play Resident Evil Opperation Racooncity.
---
PSN: Kyero X360: Kyero
99 Humanities and a Glitch ain't one. If you're having soul problems I feed bad for you son.
#10Game-XpertPosted 2/5/2013 2:49:55 PM
It's fun and entertaining for a while till it gets boring. I clocked 70 hours without mods the day it came out and clocked another 100 with mods to keep things fresh.