question - thinking of switching from PS3 to PC version

#1ShotgunnerPosted 2/22/2013 9:43:58 AM
My laptop has dynamically allocated video memory in the 256mb - 1917mb range, and my processor is AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P340, 2.2 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache

According to systemrequirementslab.com, I dont meet the minimum due to it only detecting 256MB of dedicated video ram.

I know that dynamically allocated basically means that it will increase using the processor up to 1917mb, so technically I DO meet the vid requirement.

My questions are, will I be able to enjoy skyrim with little lag on my laptop, and are there any performance enhancing mods(like for FNV, FO3 & Oblivion) that could help ease some of the pressures on my system to make the game run a little faster?

I do understand that I may have to sacrifice some of the graphical details in general(low rez, for example), or possibly even certian visual effects - my goal is to be able to play it on my laptop, not have something comparable to my PS3 copy.

Thank you in advance.
---
Your precious K/D ratio doesn't mean crap. That and $3 will get you a coffee from Starbucks.
#2Fourth_BonkuraPosted 2/22/2013 9:49:37 AM
Shotgunner posted...
My laptop has dynamically allocated video memory in the 256mb - 1917mb range, and my processor is AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P340, 2.2 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache

According to systemrequirementslab.com, I dont meet the minimum due to it only detecting 256MB of dedicated video ram.

That might not be the only reason, RAM isn't the only thing that matters and that AMD Athlon etc. is your CPU, what's your graphics card actually called?
---
Mount and Blade is a lot like Fire Emblem, except that instead of Lance beating Sword Lance beats everything but Castle.
#3Shotgunner(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 10:07:05 AM(edited)
All tech info is coming from the detailed specs sheet from Toshiba's website, so how I'm posting it is how it's worded in there.

Processor and Graphics
VISION Technology from AMD
• AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processor P340
o 2.2 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
• AMD M880G Chipset
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics with 256MB-1917MB
dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Memory
• Configured with 4GB DDR3 (max 8GB)

Sorry, should have done that right from the start. 1000 apologies.
---
Your precious K/D ratio doesn't mean crap. That and $3 will get you a coffee from Starbucks.
#4Fourth_BonkuraPosted 2/22/2013 10:41:22 AM(edited)
Shotgunner posted...

• AMD M880G Chipset
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics with 256MB-1917MB
dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Ok, well don't quote me on this (I still don't understand this stuff fully myself) but I don't think this will play it at all.

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/notebook/platforms/home/amd-m880g/Pages/m880g-chipset.aspx
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements#Officially_Recognized_Specifications
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Edit: And now I'm not so sure anymore, the minimum requirements are

Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

Better wait for one of the PC pros to get here.
---
Mount and Blade is a lot like Fire Emblem, except that instead of Lance beating Sword Lance beats everything but Castle.
#5InsaneGeniusPosted 2/22/2013 10:48:59 AM
frankly sir, I think that while technically you will be able to run skyrim on your laptop, I would not recommend it. you will not enjoy it as much as the ps3 version, you will likely have very bad framerate and lower quality graphics than what you see on ps3 (which is low to begin with.)

this game was really designed to be able to be enjoyed for years, so that meant they "over-engineered" the graphics to some extent.

when it came out, I was only barely able to play it on a similar, but non-mobile version of your graphics card. and I had a much more capable processor than yours. I actually decided to wait until I could afford to upgrade my pc before I played skyrim.

but truthfully, I think the best thing to do would be to "aquire" a copy of skyrim for PC and test it out before you pay for it - again. You shouldn't feel bad, considering you already paid for it on ps3. I did this personally, and have since paid for the game and ALL the DLC.

PM me if you want more info I probably wont be watching this thread.
#6g7g7g7g7Posted 2/22/2013 12:58:06 PM
I take it there is no Dedicated Graphics card. You will not be able to do this at all.

You need 512MB Dedicated Graphics memory as well as the RAM,

Add to this you need a GPU AND a CPU. That athlon will not do all of the rendering by itself.
---
3.2 phenom X4 black @3.6Ghz, VTX-3D ATI HD6850, XFX- HD 6850, 8GB Corsair vengeance, 1.5TB HDD, 700W Xigmatex PSU. antec 100 case
#7dxb020100Posted 2/22/2013 1:07:02 PM
On the other hand, a TI-84 calculator would probably run this better than a PS3.
#8AklisPosted 2/22/2013 2:38:36 PM
dxb020100 posted...
On the other hand, a TI-84 calculator would probably run this better than a PS3.

I've got a TI-82. Will that work or should I use my desktop instead?

On topic: I would never ever recommend a laptop for gaming. The benefits of playing on PC are mods and better graphics, since the DLCs finally have been released for the PS3.

My tip is that you should get into PC gaming sooner or later, because it really is that much better, and as such get a gaming desktop. If that's entirely out of the question, I think you should wait until it's on sale on Steam, because the prices drop dramatically.

Still, you really should save up for a gaming desktop. If you want to read more, I recommend this website: http://www.logicalincrements.com, which lists the best components in every price range.
#9Fourth_BonkuraPosted 2/22/2013 4:24:28 PM
Aklis posted...

On topic: I would never ever recommend a laptop for gaming. The benefits of playing on PC are mods and better graphics, since the DLCs finally have been released for the PS3.

Plus the PS3 version is buggier than a bandit's bedroll.
---
#10PyrotechnixxxPosted 2/22/2013 4:32:34 PM
Fourth_Bonkura posted...
Plus the PS3 version is buggier than a bandit's bedroll.

Never had any bug problems with the PS3 version other than Blood On The Ice being borked. All of the major problems were patched long ago, most of the "PS3 version is broken" mentality is just hold-over from when it was, and PEB(controller)AC.
---
Fear is a leash.