Stormcloaks or Imperials?

#1TheJCBandPosted 3/1/2013 5:28:12 AM
Which faction do you side with? - Results (195 votes)
Stormcloaks
35.9% (70 votes)
Imperials
64.1% (125 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Personally, I don't know how anyone could side with the Imperials after they try to kill you.

The only pro the Imperials seem to have is that they claim their keeping the Thalmor out of Skyrim, but they aren't doing a very good job of it.
---
Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
#2BigJeffreyLanePosted 3/1/2013 5:31:51 AM
I go Imperial.

too me the whole Helgen thing was just the wrong place at the wrong time.. who's to say Ulfric and his boys wouldnt have done similiar to you if a reverse position?

and Ulfric is a jerk, just look at how nearly half of his city is forced to live.
#3Fourth_BonkuraPosted 3/1/2013 5:34:56 AM
TheJCBand posted...
Personally, I don't know how anyone could side with the Imperials after they try to kill you.

I certainly don't see why anyone would side with the Imperials right out of the gate, I mean you wake up and then they try and kill you for no reason.

The one nice guy in the Imperial Army: You, what's your name? ...Oh, this guys not on the list I guess we don't need to execute him, right captain?
Captain Killy McHeadchopper: I don't hear executing.
The one nice guy in the Imperial Army: Sorry dude, sucks to be you.
General Tigh: Don't look at me for help I hate everyone and everything.
---
Mount and Blade is a lot like Fire Emblem, except that instead of Lance beating Sword Lance beats everything but Castle.
#4Jester323Posted 3/1/2013 5:56:21 AM
Ulfric is kind of a scumbag.

There is a lot more going on than "hey the imperials almost killed you".
---
*Jester323 e/l/sc
#5BladenytePosted 3/1/2013 6:04:42 AM
i vote c: neither

mostly because the whole war storyline has the potential to really screw up a ton of other quests in the various cities depending on who you side with. best to just ignore the whole thing for as long as possible

and really, if you are going to by the vanilla storyline, you were caught crossing the border into skyrim, what right do you have as an outsider to side with either faction? thats like me (american) crossing into mexico and then joining an army of freedom fighters to overthrow the goverment. it really doesnt make any sense at all.
---
PSN ID: Riftweaver81
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools-Jon Irenicus BG2
#6MagenieusPosted 3/1/2013 6:27:05 AM
Skyrim Belongs to the Nords! Not the Stupid Empire and his corrupt Jarls.
---
Currently playing: Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, Redguard
#7Fourth_BonkuraPosted 3/1/2013 6:27:47 AM
Jester323 posted...
Ulfric is kind of a scumbag.

There is a lot more going on than "hey the imperials almost killed you".

Which is why I said "out of the gate". The Nords should be able to rule their country for themselves if that's what they want and worship as they see fit (within reason, if you start sacrificing hobos to the Ichor God Bel-Shamharoth I'm going to accept the quest to route you out of your temple freedom of religion or no)).

However Ulfric is a war veteran/racist suffering from PTSD/racism. If he were to rule the country he'd probably rule it poorly. Skyrim belongs to the nords? Ok so what? Are you going to run the Argonians out of town on a rail or just have them all killed? I worry that if there is any place at all for other races in Ulfric's Skyrim it's under the boots of the nords.

Bladenyte posted...

and really, if you are going to by the vanilla storyline, you were caught crossing the border into skyrim, what right do you have as an outsider to side with either faction?

What? I'm playing as Manly McBeefington, the Nordiest Nord ever to Nord of course it's my business what happens to my homeland!

Bladenyte posted...
thats like me (american) crossing into mexico and then joining an army of freedom fighters to overthrow the goverment. it really doesnt make any sense at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Che_Guevara#Bolivia
---
Mount and Blade is a lot like Fire Emblem, except that instead of Lance beating Sword Lance beats everything but Castle.
#8RthanPosted 3/1/2013 6:28:50 AM
^What if you were Mexican that lived in the U.S. and were going back to Mexico to see if your family was ok ? And then some stupid tools grab you and try to execute your ass ?

I am usually calm about stuff, but regardless of my age I am not mature enough to let slide the stupidity of the Empire during those first 10 mins. Hadvar is the only bro in the entire Legion... and Rikke.

Besides Tulius is an ass too. I have done the imperial side on garbage characters (Khajt and Argonians). Everytime I went into Castle Dour or whatever and he was talking strategy with Rikke he would always talk smack about Nord culture.

You know, he has a NORD 2nd in command, someone who knows how a Nord thinks, and acts, but rather than listen to her he makes stupid comments like "ohh you Nords and your dumbness". And yet this girl who seems to be offended everytime he takes a pot-shot at her race even sayin "Sir?' actually shows courage at the end and dies wrongly for what she believes in while Tulius grovels on the floor like a coward begging for his life.
---
It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed lives by the thousands - Luca Blight
#9IqarP15Posted 3/1/2013 6:37:29 AM
If you actually read about her she believes the Imperial side is the way to go, otherwise she wouldn't be there.
---
"SPOILERS"... If ppl call me a douche bag I reply "Well at least I'm scoring!"
#10clowningPosted 3/1/2013 6:44:44 AM
Without meta gaming, as a prisoner you are about to be murdered. So...the idea of joining your jailers seems like utter stupidity no matter how you slice it.

I understand some people dislike Ulfric, I know I do. But in the game at this point, you don't know Ulfric. All you know is that you are about to be murdered by Imperials, when you have a chance to escape. Do you stick around with the Imperials, or flee with the rebels? At that moment, your best bet is to flee with the rebels. The Imperials don't know who you are, apparently, so best to escape now while you can. You don't have to join the rebellion at that point, you are just trying to escape.

In the long run, both sides present problems. The Imperials are obviously surrendering a good bit of authority to the Thalmor, compromising their own national sovereignty. The Imperials also outlawed worship of the Nord's god in the Thalmor treaty.

Ulfric is not exactly a great guy, and the whole rebellion has too much racism built into it. Skyrim is not a major power in the world by itself, and may eventually fall alone to the Thalmor.

Some people have argued that breaking from the Empire weakens Skyrim, but I have my doubts. The Empire is sacrificing plenty of its national sovereignty. Thalmor operate freely in the Empire under the guise of religious purification, and ones you meet think of themselves as conquerors of the Empire, based on their attitudes. It is obvious that the Thalmor consider themselves still at war with the Empire, and are using the treaty as an excuse to infiltrate everywhere they can. An independent Skyrim can push the Thalmor out, at least until the Empire falls. The Empire is, quite frankly, dead. They cannot fight the Thalmor in the field, and they have opened their borders to Thalmor infiltration, allowing them to build strength within the Empire. It is a slow death for the Empire. Skyrim would die along with it.

The only hope for the Empire at this point, I think, rests in creating a rift among the Thalmor and the High Elves. You need to force a regime change, so that they turn inwards and forget about the Empire, the treaty and Talos. This will give the Empire a chance to rebuild.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle