The Final Descent: Dragonborn DLC Side Quest Tips on Power Strikes

#1Lady_RPosted 3/10/2013 10:22:40 PM
For those of you who are currently stuck in the room with two dead Nords and some more dead Draugrs with no hope of climbing out AND you possess a kick-ass sword while beholding a strange-looking door in front of you, here's some helpful info:

If you've read the journal, you know you need to use power strikes to create these red streaks. The problem I encountered was, however, at the time, I only knew how to make vertical power attacks and not horizontal. Even though I'm playing this game on PC, I'm using my PS3 controller via MotioninJoy mod in order to control my character, and I've rarely used a two-handed weapon, being more of a dual-weilding fighter or archery sniper in style of play.

If you don't know yet on how to do a horizontal power strike, you simply need to do the following in order:

Press and hold the right-hand attack button (in my case, the R1 for PS3 or RB for XBox 360, right-click mouse button originally) whilst side-stepping either left or right (moving the analog stick L3 or LS to either right or left, similar to pressing A or D on your keyboard). There will come a red horizontal power streak/strike from that action.

Aiming the damn thing will be easy.

Though I might post this in case any other scatter-brain gamer like myself is finding trouble on how to do advanced power strike controls. You're welcome in advance.

P.S. Since I've finally learned this neat little trick me'self, I might try it on my next reincarnated character with two-handed weapon skills and see how effective it is on enemies.
---
ladyrumplestiltskin.deviantart.com
#2myztikricePosted 3/10/2013 10:46:43 PM
Except you can do sideways power attacks with any weapon type...
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so ****in' hysterical.
#3pyro_buntaPosted 3/10/2013 11:16:16 PM
move left/right + power attack

What's so hard about it?
---
...for Tony Redgrave...
#4MagenieusPosted 3/10/2013 11:24:02 PM
Did you never wonder why there's a the perk for 2 Handed that mentions sideways power attacks?

What happens when a "Lady" tries to play video games :P trollololol

... i didn't mean it :(
---
Currently playing: Skyrim, Dawnguard, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, Redguard
#5myztikricePosted 3/10/2013 11:30:49 PM
Did you never wonder why there's a the perk for 2 Handed that mentions sideways power attacks?

What happens when a "Lady" tries to play video games :P trollololol

... i didn't mean it :(

TC said they never focused on 2H so it's fair to assume they didn't look at the perks.
---
#6MagenieusPosted 3/10/2013 11:45:26 PM
myztikrice posted...
TC said they never focused on 2H so it's fair to assume they didn't look at the perks.

Who isn't curious enough to have a quick look through the perks? 1 handed has direction attacks too :P
---
#7myztikricePosted 3/10/2013 11:53:43 PM(edited)
I have played through like four characters and have never touched alchemy, I couldn't tell you what any of the perks were besides the basic 25% better potions or whatever
---
#8MagenieusPosted 3/11/2013 12:16:03 AM(edited)
myztikrice posted...
I have played through like four characters and have never touched alchemy, I couldn't tell you what any of the perks were besides the basic 25% better potions or whatever

pfft, but alchemy sucks, and i bet you looked through the perks once and would have noted something like a gameplay mechanic like directional power attacks if you used them :P One Handed and Two Handed are the main Skills really.
---