MOD overhaul recommendation? Skyrim Redone vs. Requiem

#1jamersPosted 4/9/2013 12:26:55 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandry, folks.

I recently re-bought Skyrim on PC for the mods, and fired up a new playthrough with Skyrim Redone (now with the Combat and Enemy AI modules disabled in favor of Deadly Combat). I like it a lot better than the vanilla version (I'm a glutton for punishment in RPGs, and vanilla was a joke), but after about 30 hours I find myself in the same Bethesda ruts I always get into: hoarding items, managing storage, running around spamming dual-casting to raise my magic skills, etc. etc. All the other mods I have on don't really offer the player any advantage (Frostfire, Realistic Needs, texture mods, etc.) My character is level 33 or so I'm bored again.

I recently stumbled upon Requiem, which promises old-school RPG-style punishing gameplay. Looks like it's right up my alley (the Souls games are my favorite things in recent years), but the dilemma is in unplugging all these mods and just starting a fresh playthrough after putting twenty-some hours into this one.

Sorry if I'm ranting here. Has anyone played one or both of these overhauls that can give me the long and short of it? I'm finding Requiem videos and YouTube and whatnot but the guys who make these videos tend not to be very helpful or thorough (running around for 10 minutes in a field looking for a mudcrab to fight. awesome.).

I keep playing my decked-out Skyrim Redone playthrough in the meantime, but can't help but think I'm missing out on something more rewarding with Requiem, and I know if I go in for the long haul with one it's likely to be a year or two before I have it in me to jump in for another playthrough.

Thanks, all!
#2Tai_Le_ReePosted 4/9/2013 12:40:03 PM
ACE (dont use all of the modules, only use the ones that dont confict with the list, however never use its magic one) (use archery and enchanting when they update with skyrpoc)
ASIS (run the patcher)
Duel
Minimalistic Magic overhaul or forgotten magic
Apocolypse spell package
Path of shadows

These mods all combine into something like skyre and requiem, however they have more compatability combined than those 2 mods have alone. Plus all the spells and perls added get added to vanilla npcs, and the game is hard without making everything damage sponges.

however on topic requiem is better in my opinion, it could use a bit more to it but i like it. Just too many mod conficts for my taste.
---
Oh you're straight? So is spaghetti until it gets hot.
#3jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 12:45:07 PM
Tai_Le_Ree posted...
ACE (dont use all of the modules, only use the ones that dont confict with the list, however never use its magic one) (use archery and enchanting when they update with skyrpoc)
ASIS (run the patcher)
Duel
Apocolypse spell package
Path of shadows

These mods all combine into something like skyre and requiem, however they have more compatability combined than those 2 mods have alone. Plus all the spells and perls added get added to vanilla npcs, and the game is hard without making everything damage sponges.

however on topic requiem is better in my opinion, it could use a bit more to it but i like it. Just too many mod conficts for my taste.

Hey, thanks for the response. Is that list you've given one that you use, conflict free? I'm always a bit disappointed when these mods conflict with something like an overhaul. For example, SkyRe comes with blocking perks that allow for a more lenient time window for its opportunistic, staggering blocks, but when I don't install the combat module in favor of something like Duel or Deadly Combat---which have their own timed block mechanics---I'm assuming these SkyRe perks just become broken/useless. It's okay, I can just not pick them up, but I'd love to keep things very simple and minimalistic as far as mods go. My ideal situation would be something like Requiem (maybe not, haven't tried it yet) to handle just about everything, and then sprinkle on a few mods that are purely aesthetic (Skyrim 2K HD, Cloaks, etc.)

But damn, that old-schoolness sounds awesome, and I'm reading forums and whatnot and the old-school-minded people seem to be in love with it.
#4jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 12:47:54 PM
Pfff I'd completely forgotten what had turned me off to starting over w Requiem in the first place: says on the description page that their non-Dawnguard version is basically obsolete and they won't be updating it or addressing any issues that its users have.

Kind of a deal breaker. :/ Disappointing for us broke folks who already blew $60 on a console copy as well as a $40 PC one.
#5Tai_Le_ReePosted 4/9/2013 12:59:12 PM
jamers posted...
Tai_Le_Ree posted...
ASIS (run the patcher)
Duel
Apocolypse spell package
Path of shadows

Hey, thanks for the response. Is that list you've given one that you use, conflict free? I'm always a bit disappointed when these mods conflict with something like an overhaul. For example, SkyRe comes with blocking perks that allow for a more lenient time window for its opportunistic, staggering blocks, but when I don't install the combat module in favor of something like Duel or Deadly Combat---which have their own timed block mechanics---I'm assuming these SkyRe perks just become broken/useless. It's okay, I can just not pick them up, but I'd love to keep things very simple and minimalistic as far as mods go. My ideal situation would be something like Requiem (maybe not, haven't tried it yet) to handle just about everything, and then sprinkle on a few mods that are purely aesthetic (Skyrim 2K HD, Cloaks, etc.)

But damn, that old-schoolness sounds awesome, and I'm reading forums and whatnot and the old-school-minded people seem to be in love with it.

with that list i gave you asis acts as a heart of sorts. the other mods go in and npcs get perks and spells from those mods. ace has modules which actually are more pick and choose, armor and melee and archery are all 3 different modules. so if there's a confict you get rid of it.

ACE + ASIS is the skeleton for that list, the base of the whole overhaul. I see you used duel before, in that case my list is something you and me would agree on. Think of my list like the game DOOM and SkyRe is like 007 GoldenEye
Both very very good, but one of them has that vibe too it as well as the huge mod support.
---
Oh you're straight? So is spaghetti until it gets hot.
#6jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 1:55:12 PM
Tai_Le_Ree posted...
jamers posted...
Tai_Le_Ree posted...
ASIS (run the patcher)
Duel
Apocolypse spell package
Path of shadows

Thanks again. I'm wary to try switching mid-playthrough, but I just may to see how I like the feel of that group of mods vs. SkyRe + Deadly Combat. This mod list is getting cluttered!

Anyone on the board have experience with Requiem that could comment? I may end up buying Dawnguard at some point if I like Requiem enough (I figure it'll be good to have for other mods as well, but I've no interest in vanilla anymore), but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before dropping another $20 on more content.

with that list i gave you asis acts as a heart of sorts. the other mods go in and npcs get perks and spells from those mods. ace has modules which actually are more pick and choose, armor and melee and archery are all 3 different modules. so if there's a confict you get rid of it.

ACE + ASIS is the skeleton for that list, the base of the whole overhaul. I see you used duel before, in that case my list is something you and me would agree on. Think of my list like the game DOOM and SkyRe is like 007 GoldenEye
Both very very good, but one of them has that vibe too it as well as the huge mod support.
#7jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 1:56:08 PM
Thanks again. I'm wary to try switching mid-playthrough, but I just may to see how I like the feel of that group of mods vs. SkyRe + Deadly Combat. This mod list is getting cluttered!

Anyone on the board have experience with Requiem that could comment? I may end up buying Dawnguard at some point if I like Requiem enough (I figure it'll be good to have for other mods as well, but I've no interest in vanilla anymore), but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before dropping another $20 on more content.
#8jamers(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2013 1:56:55 PM
^ Sorry about that odd repost two posts up; something got weird with the quote feature. Ignore it, thanks.
#9KillbombXPosted 4/12/2013 12:15:13 AM
jamers posted...

You can get Dawnguard for $16 at Gamefly by using the discount code GFDAPR20 at checkout. Not a huge savings but probably the cheapest it will be until the next big Steam sale.

http://www.gamefly.com/Download-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim---Dawnguard-DLC/5004487/
---
Wii-Keeping doors open and papers on my desk since '06.
GT/PSN- Killbomb
#10Matty_G33Posted 4/12/2013 2:32:05 AM
jamers posted...
Pfff I'd completely forgotten what had turned me off to starting over w Requiem in the first place: says on the description page that their non-Dawnguard version is basically obsolete and they won't be updating it or addressing any issues that its users have.

Kind of a deal breaker. :/ Disappointing for us broke folks who already blew $60 on a console copy as well as a $40 PC one.

I remember back when Dawnguard came out. The situation used to be a lot worse, mods like The Dance of Death and Convenient Horses had their main versions depend on Dawnguard while non-DG ones were outdated.
---
You were indicted