Skyrim keeps Crashing on Steam

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Skyrim keeps Crashing on Steam
3 years ago#1
Ok,So this is a problem I have been having recently. Skyrim was running fine for months, but suddenly, every time I play the game invariably crashes. This does not always happen at the same time: some times, I can play for 15-20 minutes before the game crashes to Desktop, and at other times, it crashes as soon as I load up a fresh save file. There is no error message, no error sound, the game simply closes off as if I had alt-F4'd. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I tried disabling all of my mods, as well as disabling Dawnguard, and it doesn't help at all.

Also, does this mean my save file is corrupted? I tried telling Steam to verify the Integrity of the Game Cache, and I keep getting the message "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired," but besides the message I get nothing.
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining"
3 years ago#2
Try disabling all your mods and starting with a new save (just to see how stable it is). It's always possible that there are some orphaned scripts causing issues, things that wouldn't be fixed just by disabling mods.
3 years ago#3
Well, I just started a new save with all the mods turned on actually, and it's actually pretty stable. Every time I switch to my main character however, the game crashes sooner or later.

Does this mean I have a corrupted save file? Is there any way to verify if it's truly corrupted, and if it is, to fix it?
3 years ago#4
Annnnnnd scratch that, the game still crashed in the new save file.
3 years ago#5
Add:

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation = 1

to skyrim.ini

Check the log.0 that gets created on crash (my games/skyrim/logs).

See if anything jumps out as being wrong near the bottom of the log. That can usually tell you what scripts are running right as it crashes.
3 years ago#6
I've noticed a few topics like this lately and I have also been having CTDs randomly ever since 1.9 as well. I started to notice that when I switched menus too quickly it would crash. I uninstalled categorized favorites menu yesterday and played for 4-5 hours and it didn't crash.
"We should have ****ing shotguns" - Vincent Vega
3 years ago#7
I made a topic about this as well, my skyrim crashes every hour, like clockwork. Im not even using any mods, just playing Vanilla Skyrim, and it still crashes every hour. Really sucks.
This site is full of trolls, Right Zack?
3 years ago#8
gorrrd posted...
I've noticed a few topics like this lately and I have also been having CTDs randomly ever since 1.9 as well. I started to notice that when I switched menus too quickly it would crash. I uninstalled categorized favorites menu yesterday and played for 4-5 hours and it didn't crash.

How exactly do you uninstall the favorites menu, and what does that entail?
3 years ago#9
Have you tried not attempting to kill Gordon Freeman?
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
3 years ago#10
Categorized favorites menu is a SKSE mod. To uninstall it, assuming you do in fact have have it installed, got to skyrim root/data/interface and delete all favoritesmenu files. There should be two or three of them. I just had a crash after playing for a couple of hours but that was the first one in a while. It's definitely decreased the crashing after I uninstalled it. Sucks though, it's a good mod, really makes the favorites menu a lot better. But I'd still prefer to have no crashes. Or at least less crashes.
"We should have ****ing shotguns" - Vincent Vega
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  3. Skyrim keeps Crashing on Steam

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived