Skyrim keeps Crashing on Steam

#1wallacebreenPosted 5/13/2013 3:27:34 PM
Ok,So this is a problem I have been having recently. Skyrim was running fine for months, but suddenly, every time I play the game invariably crashes. This does not always happen at the same time: some times, I can play for 15-20 minutes before the game crashes to Desktop, and at other times, it crashes as soon as I load up a fresh save file. There is no error message, no error sound, the game simply closes off as if I had alt-F4'd. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I tried disabling all of my mods, as well as disabling Dawnguard, and it doesn't help at all.

Also, does this mean my save file is corrupted? I tried telling Steam to verify the Integrity of the Game Cache, and I keep getting the message "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired," but besides the message I get nothing.
---
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining"
#2cpg2Posted 5/13/2013 3:33:01 PM
Try disabling all your mods and starting with a new save (just to see how stable it is). It's always possible that there are some orphaned scripts causing issues, things that wouldn't be fixed just by disabling mods.
#3wallacebreen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 3:42:03 PM
Well, I just started a new save with all the mods turned on actually, and it's actually pretty stable. Every time I switch to my main character however, the game crashes sooner or later.

Does this mean I have a corrupted save file? Is there any way to verify if it's truly corrupted, and if it is, to fix it?
---
#4wallacebreen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 3:42:26 PM
Annnnnnd scratch that, the game still crashed in the new save file.
---
#5cpg2Posted 5/13/2013 3:44:05 PM
Add:

[Papyrus]
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation = 1

to skyrim.ini

Check the log.0 that gets created on crash (my games/skyrim/logs).

See if anything jumps out as being wrong near the bottom of the log. That can usually tell you what scripts are running right as it crashes.
#6gorrrdPosted 5/13/2013 5:22:43 PM
I've noticed a few topics like this lately and I have also been having CTDs randomly ever since 1.9 as well. I started to notice that when I switched menus too quickly it would crash. I uninstalled categorized favorites menu yesterday and played for 4-5 hours and it didn't crash.
---
"We should have ****ing shotguns" - Vincent Vega
#7NE_PatriotsFanPosted 5/13/2013 6:35:39 PM
I made a topic about this as well, my skyrim crashes every hour, like clockwork. Im not even using any mods, just playing Vanilla Skyrim, and it still crashes every hour. Really sucks.
---
This site is full of trolls, Right Zack?
#8wallacebreen(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 7:02:17 PM
gorrrd posted...
I've noticed a few topics like this lately and I have also been having CTDs randomly ever since 1.9 as well. I started to notice that when I switched menus too quickly it would crash. I uninstalled categorized favorites menu yesterday and played for 4-5 hours and it didn't crash.

How exactly do you uninstall the favorites menu, and what does that entail?
---
#9SlashmanSGPosted 5/13/2013 7:06:40 PM(edited)
Have you tried not attempting to kill Gordon Freeman?
---
Fight Science with Wood
http://gifs.gifbin.com/072010/1280303569_walmart-moonwalk.gif http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8299/0341551001256026444.gif
#10gorrrdPosted 5/13/2013 9:36:36 PM
Categorized favorites menu is a SKSE mod. To uninstall it, assuming you do in fact have have it installed, got to skyrim root/data/interface and delete all favoritesmenu files. There should be two or three of them. I just had a crash after playing for a couple of hours but that was the first one in a while. It's definitely decreased the crashing after I uninstalled it. Sucks though, it's a good mod, really makes the favorites menu a lot better. But I'd still prefer to have no crashes. Or at least less crashes.
---
"We should have ****ing shotguns" - Vincent Vega