So disappointed

#1robokillPosted 4/14/2012 12:50:16 PM

I own every ssx game, played the hell out of the first 3. After playing the demo and hating it I complained about it on here, and I was told that the full game is much better and control gets much better. Well, that was a blatant lie, this is the most disappointed I think I've ever been in a game in my life. I shouldn't have given in and bought this. I played through everything and regret it. My complaints:

1. The originals rewarded exploration with interesting shortcuts and scenery. This game brutally punishes it. The level design in this is beyond terrible, putting rocks directly behind jumps and hidden crevasses that force you to memorize every nook is stupid. The old games rewarded you by skillfully riding the lines and taking turns in the most effective manner, this game rewards memorization.

2. No interesting over the top levels. Why completely remove what was one of the biggest parts of the old games. Replace mercury city with a level entirely or rocks, bouncing off rocks from side to side is sure a lot more fun that flying over skyscrapers.

3. Terrible, abysmal controls. I see a line I want to take, boost for it, hit a tiny bump hidden under the snow, bounce off a wall, bounce off another wall and get stuck against a rock while trying to take a straight line at high speeds.

I could go on, but I know you all will defend it. This is a game based around competition and high scores and memorizing lines which is not what SSX is supposed to be, there just isn't really any fun at any point in the game. I hate EA for this, I hate them so much, it's exactly what is wrong with games. The art, the style, the music, ambience and freeroaming exploration of the others has been replaced with concentrated uber trick mach 5 speed competition that caters to the lowest common denominator. There is no inspiration, it crams as much as it can into relatively content to get people to buy it. I hate you EA. There is not one single moment in this game that feels fun, I can't even freaking carve like a normal snowboarder.

#2Pow Pow PunishmentPosted 4/14/2012 1:04:21 PM
While I think you sounded way too fanatical with your repeated "I hate EA"s down there, I'm glad you wrote this. I'm on the fence about buying.
---
"Perfect purity is possible if you turn your life into a line of poetry written with a splash of blood." -Yukio Mishima
www.l3loodfist.xanga.com
#3AhlyisPosted 4/14/2012 1:17:02 PM
Overall, I disagree with just about every point you made. I love the game and find it highly fun at MANY points.

I will grant you one thing though...

robokill posted...
This is a game based around competition and high scores and memorizing lines which is not what SSX is supposed to be...

The art, the style, the music, ambience and freeroaming exploration of the others has been replaced

The game definitely lacks the artistic serenity of many of the older versions. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it wouldn't have killed them to include a bit more of that here.

Thankfully, it sounds like the DLC may be just that.
---
I'm just a pigment of your imagination.
#4SandrocoPosted 4/14/2012 1:32:12 PM
1. First of all, the game does indeed have a ton of shortcuts and alternate routes, both for better tricking opportunities and racing paths. You're only being "punished" if you're experimenting for the first time going down a level and have no idea what path will lead you where. Just like the old games, you still need to remember what is the ideal path to take.

2. No interesting over-the-top levels? Really? That's what you complain about? You're right, there's nothing over-the-top about a crazy corkscrew grinding rail, or using a wingsuit over super large chasms, or the biggest death-defying jumps in the series. Yes, the levels are going for a more realistic look than in the past games, but everything is still a large exaggeration of what actual snowboarding in these areas would be like.

3. You're not complaining about the controls. You're complaining about the physics engine here, which I can partially agree upon. I've invested a ton of hours into the game getting golds on every drop and the amount of times the wonky physics has messed things up for me is ridiculous. Still, it's not enough to detract from the sheer fun I have had from playing the game.
---
It's not enough that I succeed; others must FAIL!!!
#5loom1215Posted 4/15/2012 3:54:11 PM
robokill posted...
I could go on, but I know you all will defend it.

lol... as if you are not another of countless dozens of people who have come here whining about all the same things. Take heart... while there are those of us who love this game, there are plenty who don't.

Now, trade your game in and go forth!
#6LapidusBeardPosted 4/16/2012 12:46:45 AM
Same here. This game is the biggest disappointment for me in years. Not fun at all. Way too much focus on boring (read only on-line) multiplayer. It's just racing against the numbers only to buy yourself some palette swaps. Here's hoping for the Tricky DLC. It might not be 3, but let's hope it's at least something with colour
#7Limb1cPosted 4/16/2012 2:52:46 PM
While I'm okay with controls, OP's point #1 is just a fact. You must memorize if you want to survive.

I prefer the old game that rewarded risk since the penalty for failure (a simple teleport back onto course) was so low. I felt the old system allowed me to really go for it. Now I have to be MUCH, much more careful. To me, SSX is about being nuts, not careful.
#8MythManIIIPosted 4/17/2012 8:24:26 AM(edited)
robokill posted...

All your points are true, but they have their flaws.

1. The originals rewarded exploration with interesting shortcuts and scenery. This game brutally punishes it. The level design in this is beyond terrible, putting rocks directly behind jumps and hidden crevasses that force you to memorize every nook is stupid. The old games rewarded you by skillfully riding the lines and taking turns in the most effective manner, this game rewards memorization

Although it is much harder to explore, it is far from impossible. The slew of additional equipment makes it easier to accomplish this task. Unfortunately you can't do that until later levels. Take this run for examplehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiG_23MWzFM&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Although I do agree I wish there were more SSXT/SSX3 type stages, where you break glass and find crazy shortcuts and beautiful back country, the current method is still fine. The Online element has forced the game designers to create uniform stages to create a strong level of competition. With the addition of incoming DLC, we might have a Mercury City, and HOPEFULLY a simple free roam...

2. No interesting over the top levels. Why completely remove what was one of the biggest parts of the old games. Replace mercury city with a level entirely or rocks, bouncing off rocks from side to side is sure a lot more fun that flying over skyscrapers.

Frozen Volcano would like a word.
Alaskan Pipeline would like a word.
Great Wall of FREAKING CHINA would like a word.

3. Terrible, abysmal controls. I see a line I want to take, boost for it, hit a tiny bump hidden under the snow, bounce off a wall, bounce off another wall and get stuck against a rock while trying to take a straight line at high speeds.

Not really, the game is simply harder. In SSXT/SSX3 there was a simple rule to the controls. Powder snow makes you go slow, but gives you lots of control. Ice makes you go fast and gives you no control. Now, controls on powder fell like SSXT/SSX3 Ice, and Ice is now simply suicide.
Take this notion into account, and you'll find your lines and jumps much smoother. As for the bumps in the snow, keep your eyes open. That type of stuff has always been in the games, so don't start complaining about them now like their new.

In general, you seem to be complaining that the game is too hard to have fun... And if that's the case then you should simply give up on video games, cause their only getting harder. Keep up or give up.
---
Keep your Doom Hand strong
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/KingCalliber/Doomhand.jpg
#9LimbicPosted 4/17/2012 9:35:21 AM
And if that's the case then you should simply give up on video games, cause their only getting harder.

When was the last time you played Contra? I've never heard anyone claim that games are getting harder in general, though outliers like Dark Souls do exist.

Anyway, challenge doesn't make a game good. Good challenge makes a game good. SSX's new challenge is to memorize long levels. That's extremely challenging, but it's not the kind of challenge I'm interested in.

I'd prefer the challenge of a stupid high score to beat, one that required chaining an entire course, for instance.
---
Paid DLC at release = end of games.
#10MythManIIIPosted 4/17/2012 10:20:20 AM
Limbic posted...

When was the last time you played Contra? I've never heard anyone claim that games are getting harder in general, though outliers like Dark Souls do exist.

Anyway, challenge doesn't make a game good. Good challenge makes a game good. SSX's new challenge is to memorize long levels. That's extremely challenging, but it's not the kind of challenge I'm interested in.

I'd prefer the challenge of a stupid high score to beat, one that required chaining an entire course, for instance.

See Serenity
---
Keep your Doom Hand strong
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg11/KingCalliber/Doomhand.jpg