Im extremely baffled

#1Hades192Posted 4/26/2012 7:38:53 AM
By the amount of bad publicity I read about this game.

I love the realistic approach to the game that deviates from the extremely over the top style of the past. However, the 15 flips and crazy moves are still available in one air; but something about playing this, encourages me to play more or less like I actually snowboard. Casual, relaxing runs that don't place a burden on over stylized moves. Game feels true to me but I also acknowledge the fantasy aspects of the game as well.

The difference is past SSX games got frustrating because I focused on scores and such but now I care less about scores and geotags but finding/producing some runs together that have some flow.

Highly impressed by this gem that I almost passed on.
#2soccaprodiPosted 4/26/2012 8:30:23 AM
Glad to hear it. I'm a huge fan of this game as well, but I think it is more stressful than previous titles. In SSX3 I would just start dozens of new games and go through the mountain just doing my thing and grabbing golds. This game is always telling you there is someone much, much better than you, be they your rivals or those in global events, so there are times where one dropped combo means a run is pretty much wasted.

That sense of competition is great though. It helps me feel that I'm honestly a great player (certainly not excellent). More importantly, there's just so many more drops in this game than any previous title, and so many amazing ones. For every ridiculous Survive It thing there are 3-4 really nice runs, and for the record I feel a lot of people sell tracks too short when they become easy with just a bit of practice (Africa I am looking at you).
---
*Cabanela struts into topic*
PSN: QuackendriverV
#3AhlyisPosted 4/26/2012 10:13:46 AM
soccaprodi posted...
For every ridiculous Survive It thing there are 3-4 really nice runs

Well, I actually think some of the survival runs ARE among the "really nice runs". Not all, certainly. But any track where I hate Survival, I hate Trick and Race even more.

I'm good at race and trick events. I've got over 30 "friends" now through this game and "most" of my scores are competitive, though not tops. But Survival is where I tend to shine. I've got some of my survival distances so far in front of all my rivals that it's kind of ridiculous. And several of those scores are only where they are because I got tired of the run and more or less let myself "die".
---
I'm just a pigment of your imagination.
#4Hades192(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2012 11:05:17 AM
l agree the presence of competition is constant and I do participate. I enjoy the Survival drops which is what most people seem to not enjoy.

Last night while playing a Global Event, it was late and I didn't want to keep restarting runs for my 10 to 15 mill average which nets me a gold, usually. So I moved over to explore and during my casual playtime I continued to get mostly gold on each drop.

I than realized that competitively; I've been trying way to hard to keep fitting in BS flips here and there while I scored better on a few casual runs on explore than I have trying to get good scores.

Much like the Africa tracks you say people easily dismiss. I think people rush to make premature opinions in general or just follow the herd because its much easier for people to be accepted.

I respect some of the criticisms and people are entitled to their opinion, however gamers have definitely become to mainstream.

It ruins me when I see friends who used to heckle me for playing games to be "casual gamers" now. GET OFF MY ISH!
#5loom1215Posted 4/26/2012 12:08:50 PM
Now this is the kind of post I like to see. I have so much love for this game, and not only for its own sake but for what it represents. There are very few titles like this that really stay true to their own vision without pandering to the watered down, mainstream gaming public who would rather herp derp than actually GAME.

As soccaprodi says, there are tons of nice, chill courses that are a blast to just cruise down, but there's also a whole different intense layer of challenge not only below the surface but ON the surface. Lots of people just HATE this. It burns them up to have to confront the fact that they aren't even able to beat the World Tour without a chunk of frustration, and that this means they are probably not very good at playing. So they come here and whine, or they write reviews about the "lame" mechanics, or they do a hundred things except just realizing that they suck and somehow - beyond all expectation - they came across a game that actually has a hardcore sensibility.

Arggh, I could rant for hours on this subject, because I have been a huge fan of this game since day 1 and I have read just about every whine after whine after whine on it, and I'm sure to people who have been around here for a while my posts are just like some kind of tired broken record at this point.

Anyway, game is super awesome and I'm really happy to see somebody new show up here praising it, and making proper sense of all the nonsense surrounding it.

It's funny when this game first came out and I fell in love with it the vibe was extremely positive pretty much everywhere, even here on GameFAQs. And then slowly, over time, as more random scrubs picked up the game and spread their sad little complaints, the negative criticism really picked up a lot of steam and now pretty much dominates the entire SSX discourse.

There are tons of people who haven't played it that just parrot out the crap about split screen, or think of the DDs as some kind of gimmick, when the reality is all this stuff came about because casual gamers and people who just smoked pot while playing SSX 3 with their friends had to confront the fact that they suck too bad to beat World Tour.

OK, back to my hole, where SSX is universally praised as one of the greatest games of this gen :(
#6soccaprodiPosted 4/30/2012 5:32:16 PM
Oh I am not bashing Survival in general. I love the mechanics, though they are VERY annoying when you first encounter them in World Tour, ESPECIALLY wingsuit (which I still do not use well). I just mean that the Survive It runs are not the wide, free levels we've come to expect from playing SSX.

Lots of love in this topic is making my day, shame the board is dead though. Fingers crossed for a small resurgence with tomorrow's DLC.
---
#7LimbicPosted 5/1/2012 7:37:36 AM
It's weird. The bad publicity seems to be coming exclusively from gamers. On Metacritic, the professional reviewers' scores were *much* higher than the reader reviews.

I have to wonder how much time the reviewers spent with the game. My *guess* is that the average player, having made an investment, will ultimately spend more time with the game than the average reviewer. This would make sense for me, anyway, as some of the later levels in the tour (cough AFRICA cough) were just devoid of joy.

It's also quite possible that the reviewers are just better at video games, and the frustration comes from gamers like me who don't have the desire for the level memorization necessary to avoid all the death pits. Though I think the guy on IGN said that he restarted quite a little bit. Maybe he just has more patience.

My last thought is that the reviewers look at the game more holistically. The sound design, for example, in SSX is the best I've seen in a game. I *love* the way the music fades/loops with tricks. Excellence. A reviewer is more likely to keep that in mind, whereas a gamer like myself will only remember the blind rage concomitant with barreling through a black tunnel 16 times.
---
Paid DLC at release = end of games.
#8Gamemaster64Posted 5/1/2012 8:12:03 AM
loom1215 posted...

There are tons of people who haven't played it that just parrot out the crap about split screen, or think of the DDs as some kind of gimmick, when the reality is all this stuff came about because casual gamers and people who just smoked pot while playing SSX 3 with their friends had to confront the fact that they suck too bad to beat World Tour

Is that why I got a message asking me if the game is good for when your high?

I like the game but hate a few things.
The dumb pits.
Need stuff like the thermal thing or oxygen tank just to survive. It annoying with the Oxygen tank
---
Not much of potato he said but potato he wrote.
#9soccaprodiPosted 5/1/2012 8:48:57 AM
Limbic posted...
It's weird. The bad publicity seems to be coming exclusively from gamers. On Metacritic, the professional reviewers' scores were *much* higher than the reader reviews.

I have to wonder how much time the reviewers spent with the game. My *guess* is that the average player, having made an investment, will ultimately spend more time with the game than the average reviewer. This would make sense for me, anyway, as some of the later levels in the tour (cough AFRICA cough) were just devoid of joy.

It's also quite possible that the reviewers are just better at video games, and the frustration comes from gamers like me who don't have the desire for the level memorization necessary to avoid all the death pits. Though I think the guy on IGN said that he restarted quite a little bit. Maybe he just has more patience.

My last thought is that the reviewers look at the game more holistically. The sound design, for example, in SSX is the best I've seen in a game. I *love* the way the music fades/loops with tricks. Excellence. A reviewer is more likely to keep that in mind, whereas a gamer like myself will only remember the blind rage concomitant with barreling through a black tunnel 16 times.

Or maybe they spent more time with the game then regular gamers who just love to bash things as soon as they see a problem. If I stopped playing this game after Day 1, when I rage-quitted due to Patagonia, I'd call it the worst thing to happen to snowboarding since global warming. But no, I manned up and found an incredibly enjoyable game. I really, really hate to sound like a broken record, but if anyone did 3-4 runs of an African run (except maybe Night Incoming), they'd find that it is far more easy to navigate then they think. Same is true with Patagonia I am sure, if I could just get the hang of the gosh darn wingsuit.
Need to remember every reviewer has different tastes, so there can be no catch-all for judging things. Lastly, the regular gamer reviews are more likely to be from hardcore SSX fans, who rage at the first signs of change (as I did when I saw standard controls or cliff deaths), rather than to take things in stride and enjoy the game for what it is.
---