SSX and Dark Souls

#1LimbicPosted 5/1/2012 7:58:40 AM
[Just posted the same thing under PS3. Wanted to put it here, too.]

The division on this board seems to come down to the game's difficulty.

A lot of people are raging because of what they see as unfair or just unfun mechanics and design, and the other side is raging at them for not being good enough. I'm firmly in the former camp.

But one of the last games I played before this was Dark Souls, and I beat it. My wife would watch me play it and asked me how on earth I could repeat the same thing and die over and over and over. I told her that it was because I was actually making progress. I was dying, yeah, and often in the same way, but I was I learning the game.

Why don't I approach SSX the same way?

I think the problem is my expectations. When Dark Souls came out, the only thing I knew about it was that it was supposed to be impossible (I never played Demon's Souls, but I heard the same thing). When SSX came out, I had a list of expectations. When SSX didn't meet those expectations but provided a Dark Souls level of challenge that can only be overcome by a high amount of repetition, I balked. SSX shouldn't have death pits. SSX shouldn't make you rewind, effectively traveling backwards. SSX shouldn't darken your path so that you can only see 5 feet in front of you. And then fall into a pit.

I think if SSX were released as a stand alone with no history, I'd like it a lot better. But when my expectations for the series aren't met, I feel put out. SSX shouldn't be about memorization, I tell myself. The penalties for falling off shouldn't be worse than they have been. You should be able to scream down a mountain at mach 12 on the very first run.

But that's just not the game EA delivered. I have to be much, much more careful, much less spastic. Based on Tricky, I was expecting a certain level of abandon that will be punished to death in this latest iteration.

Anyway, I really don't think it's challenge I'm against per se. I think it's when a sequel fundamentally shifts what has made the series enjoyable that I get so frustrated.

TLDR: This is not to say this SSX isn't fun, but its fun is of a different sort (i.e. careful progression and memorization calling back to the 8 bit period), and I'm having the hardest time adjusting.
---
Paid DLC at release = end of games.
#2RagnarokSamPosted 5/2/2012 11:18:22 AM
Overall, SSX is a good game, even if it can be a bit tricky at times...
#3Regal_Bryant12Posted 5/2/2012 12:03:36 PM
SSX can be very complicated at times, but I have enjoyed every moment with it.
---
Yeah man I conquered this sucka! -Mac
Attitude check...Yeah, I'm really high! -Zoe
#4MahoganyTooth92Posted 5/2/2012 12:26:52 PM
They say it's overrated, but it is now one of my favorite games of all time, on my top 10!
---
....But then I took a meme to the face.
#5deathblade32Posted 5/2/2012 3:51:08 PM
Completely agree.

It's not that easy and rather frustrating instead to try to land huge combos without falling off the map.
#6JoS88Posted 5/3/2012 5:46:57 AM
Once you reach Level 10+ and learn the tracks, it gets really fun. I like the Dark Souls comparison. People rave that the game is good because it is super hard but SSX is the same way. The more you play it, the better you get
---
GamerTag: Jacanus
#7coffee gumPosted 5/3/2012 7:56:25 PM(edited)
I'm feeling the same way too. This is one of the few games that I think that the rewind feature actually hurts the game. And I just don't like all of the instant death spots...why not just reset you back on course with a combo/time/boost penalty or something like that?

I really want to like this game but I'm just not having fun playing it.
#8MahoganyTooth92Posted 5/4/2012 1:27:23 AM
<_< last two posters didn't get it.
---
....But then I took a meme to the face.
#9fakesoundofprogressPosted 5/4/2012 1:59:46 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
<_< last two posters didn't get it.

I think its very vital
#10AndrovinusPosted 5/4/2012 10:09:54 PM
this isnt ssx tricky 2. this is ssx deadly descents. they changed the name because it sounded bad. you have to adapt or die.