Anyone else totally turned off by the Protagonist swap?

#1ExtraspectrePosted 4/16/2012 8:04:25 AM
I don't care about this new guy. Not one tiny bit. Why would I want to play as him and try to kill the one character in the franchise that I do like?

Also it's pretty amusing that he's a former marine/army guy and will now be slaughtering his way through his former fellows in the hundreds.

I duno, I'm probably wrong about something, I just haven't had the interest to research this game.
---
"Higgins Von Higgins, your incredible journey ends today!" - Corporal Tyrannis
#2xTriggerheartPosted 4/16/2012 8:10:29 AM
I felt the same way, but Heller is cool in his own way. That and I'm excited to see an African-American protagonist who *isn't* stereotyped. So that by itself makes him unique.

I'm actually pretty annoyed about the Heller vs Mercer thing too. I'd like to fight Mercer, but not kill him. They're trying to make that the selling point, but I don't care about it at all besides getting a rise out of an epic battle.

I'm actually partially disappointed, since Alex is the best character in the franchise in my opinion. Well, Blacklight. Everyone tried to make him out as hard to understand or unmotivated when no one really just put the serious effort into understanding him at all. The most exciting part about him was that he wasn't human, at all. He didn't feel like a normal human being, think like a normal human being. Of course, as the game progressed he became moral about his actions.

Just like the activision PR guy or whatever commented on the IGN stream how you "Don't know why Mercer saved the city." Mercer made it pretty clear he just didn't want everyone to die and that he thought it'd be better if the infection died over time so more innocents could live. He also had his sister.
#3Tiberius4327Posted 4/16/2012 8:30:45 AM
I actually like that were getting a new protagonist. I'm interested in the world and the backlight virus' effect on it, not individual characters. A new protagonist gives us a different view of the world, which is something that I wanted.

There's also the issue of how strong Mercer was at the end of the last game, there was barely anything that you couldn't one-shot. That would have meant that if we were playing Mercer again, they would have gone with the cliche of removing most of his power (they've said this themselves), which I would have hated.

Finally, Heller enjoys having powers and he has fun with them. That's something that I feel is really refreshing to see in a character.
---
Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.
#4CruorComaPosted 4/16/2012 9:06:37 AM
Meh, to me Prototype is one of the few games where the playable character is by the least relevant feature. As long as it's an anomaly of the Blacklight virus, it's good enough for me.
---
Gamertag: LordMahemium - RIP Sparky
Satanic Overlord of The Bar With No Name
#5jimmy1398Posted 4/16/2012 9:42:17 AM
As long as it's an anomaly of the Blacklight virus, it's good enough for me.

This for me too. I really don't care about Alex Mercer.
#6DarquePosted 4/16/2012 11:12:12 AM
I'm glad they went this route.

Had they gone with the "let's de-power Mercer and start over" route, I'd have been turned off to it.

De-Powering the main has been done to death.
---
Jill Valentine > You
#7wwervinPosted 4/16/2012 11:24:07 AM

Tiberius4327 posted...
I actually like that were getting a new protagonist. I'm interested in the world and the backlight virus' effect on it, not individual characters. A new protagonist gives us a different view of the world, which is something that I wanted.

There's also the issue of how strong Mercer was at the end of the last game, there was barely anything that you couldn't one-shot. That would have meant that if we were playing Mercer again, they would have gone with the cliche of removing most of his power (they've said this themselves), which I would have hated.

Finally, Heller enjoys having powers and he has fun with them. That's something that I feel is really refreshing to see in a character.
---

At the end of the first game however, we saw that after Mercer almost got killed by the bomb he just barely survived as a little piece of biomass and he had to consume a pigeon to take his normal form. They could've started the game off there or a little bit after that time period and stated that because he lost so much biomass that he lost a lot of his memories and abilities and would then have to consume new ones to regain them. It could've served as a way to sort of reboot the character and not make him invincible just yet. Idk.. I mean if they wanted to they could've done it very easily. I hate when I see developers talking about stuff like that because they're basically just making excuses for themselves. It's their job to be creative and create a unique story while tying everything in, and them basically saying "yeah we didn't know how to do that" is just lazy in my opinion. That being said though, I don't mind Heller as he seems like an interesting character. I just wish he was a little bit more different but they pretty much used the same character animations as Mercer and gave the guy the same powers.. but that's a whole other issue in itself that I have with the game.

#8Tiberius4327Posted 4/16/2012 11:40:37 AM
I mean if they wanted to they could've done it very easily.

It's not about it being hard to do (it would be extremely easy to come up with a good reason), it's about the fact that it's been done so many times before in games.

There are a huge number of sequels where you are playing the same character you were in the first game and within the first few minutes something causes you to lose all the abilities you had previously. Honestly, it's just getting old. I literally groaned out loud when I was playing Metroid Prime and Samus was thrown against a wall at the start because I knew what was going to happen. Sure enough, she loses all her abilities and you spend the rest of the game picking them all back up again.

That's lazy, far more so than bringing in a new character IMO.

Besides, they made him lose his powers in the first game. To see it happen to him again would have lessened him as a character. The fact that he can survive being blown up by a nuke without any lasting damage makes Mercer seem pretty badass IMO.
---
#9mrjoe_94Posted 4/16/2012 11:44:07 AM
First thing that came to mind at the title was Assassins Creed II. The swap was Well Worth it. Ezio seemed like a much more interesting character and we literally see most of his life unfold throughout.
#10Lil-DangerouZPosted 4/16/2012 11:45:47 AM

So far, EVERYTHING, they have done has been lazy to you. They tell you why they didn't want to make him the main character again and it is actually a pretty understable point. They want to keep the player feeling powerful, not weaken the player. If they continued with ALex they would HAVE to weaken him. Now how much negative feedback do you think they would get from that? More than they have now for changing the character. Everyone has been complaining about cliches yet they want Radical to make the biggest game cliche ever?: Take away his powers and have you play through the game to get them back! Really?