Can't believe I was so excited for this. {Spoilers}

#1TaioraPosted 8/14/2012 3:41:38 AM
So, just finished the game and I have to say.... It was a let-down.

Alex Mercer, the enigmatic mysterious anti-hero from the first game was completely bastardized. At the end of the first game, we learnt that Mercer wasn't human, that he was the Blacklight virus and the story ended with him saving New York from a tactical nuke.

Somehow, less than a year after, he's now the respected leader of a group of infected humans (Evolved), with a plan to 'wipe out blackwatch and gentek' using an 'army'. He is actively responsible for the second outbreak, originating from the same location. You beat him, and the powers he uses? Whipfist, Hammerfist, Blade.

List of questions I have:

What exactly does Alex need an 'army' for? He IS an army all on his own. We spent an entire game proving that. In his own words, when hunting a military target in a THERMOBARIC TANK...

"NOTHING WILL PROTECT YOU FROM ME! NOT MEN, NOT WEAPONS, NOT ARMOR!"
-Alex Mercer, 2009

If he wanted to end Gentek or Blacklight, there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to. Alex survived a freakin' nuclear strike.

Secondly... Alex Mercer IS NOT an "Evolved". From what we can tell, Evolved are people who have reached a stable mutation with the Blacklight virus, courtesy of Mercer.

Alex Mercer IS the Blacklight virus. By definition, every Evolved and Infected is 'part-Alex'. He should have been able to take away what he gave to Heller, on account of how that's HIM inside Heller. Alex Mercer, for all intents and purposes in the Prototype universe, is God. And as the saying goes, "What God gives, God can take away".

Why is Alex so weak now? Start of the game, and I see Heller following him in and then going into combat with a Knife. And he stabs Mercer X times, and obviously, Mercer doesn't die.

Have you ever seen ANY military unit attempt to attack Heller with anything less than a full auto? Ever seen any of them try "hand to hand combat"? Yeah, no. Heller goes in with a knife. If this was Prototype Alex, if this wasn't a cutscene and it was an actual gameplay segment, Heller would have been eviscerated. Repeatedly.

So, fine. I'll accept that Alex was "playing along". To what end? For all he knows, Heller's just one of countless of soldiers who want to kill him.

Skip to final battle

I beat him in under 10 minutes. In prototype, I spent two hours trying to deal with the final boss. I'm sorry, what?

Where are the claws? Where's the shield? Where's the freakin armor? WHERE IS THE GOD I SPENT AN ENTIRE GAME BUILDING?!

Other questions to ask:

What happened to Project Pariah? It was an unresolved end from Prototype.
Why, exactly, is Amaya Heller alive and her mother dead?
What exactly split up Dana and "Alex" Mercer? (And no, their stupid cutscene memory explained nothing)
Where is the freaking ARMOR? The fullbodied armor that Alex had? Where did that go?
What happened to the Thermobaric tanks? We got Thermobaric helicoptors... ONCE.... and no tanks?
WHY did Alex infect that train station again?
What, exactly was Commander Rooks on? An ex-grunt wants his daughter back. To that end, he murders an incalculable amount of military men (all with good families), costs them millions in damages (paid for by the taxes of the good people of the US of A), is responsible for holding back your operation to clean up a viral outbreak (Operation: Firehawk) and just to strike a personal blow, has killed and eaten your trusted lieutenant disguising himself JUST to get information from you. Your response? Sympathize with him, kill two men whose role was to PROTECT you, and let him on his merry way.

Honestly, there's a lot I could rant about this, but this game was... truly... a let down. Anyone else feel the same?
---
I have a habit of killing topics I post in. Completely unintentional.
#2warpedoPosted 8/14/2012 9:41:20 AM
I agree with almost everything you said. It's almost embarrassing how ineffectual Mercer is and what a letdown the grand finale was. Although, it was stated that Mercer (as well as Heller) had moved past human life or death concerns so we may see some sort of Mercer/Heller battle for control now that Mercer has been consumed, but that is all speculation.

The whole Rooks situation made complete sense to me, though. He watched countless soldiers go up against and get obliterated by the superhuman Heller, and must have realized he himself was nearly made a snack, all because their objective was to kill Heller to eliminate him as a threat to their operations. In the face of certain defeat, he decides to save countless soldiers' lives and give Heller what he wants so that he'll leave and they can resume the attack on the infection. It didn't appear that he was going soft because they were both daddies - he just realized he couldn't win with Heller running around the city like Pac-Man, gobbling up his forces. And, in the process, he had to sacrifice two pawns in order to protect himself from repercussions.
#3gerson18_2018Posted 8/14/2012 8:13:16 PM
I totally agree with you, been waiting years for this game to come out and then what? I have to kill the hero where it originated from. Hope It could be like this when DMC5 comes out in pc, so I could kill the new DANTE.
#4SkybladeNoxPosted 8/14/2012 8:55:49 PM
Taiora posted...
Blah Blah...

Secondly... Alex Mercer IS NOT an "Evolved". From what we can tell, Evolved are people who have reached a stable mutation with the Blacklight virus, courtesy of Mercer.

Alex Mercer IS the Blacklight virus. By definition, every Evolved and Infected is 'part-Alex'. He should have been able to take away what he gave to Heller, on account of how that's HIM inside Heller. Alex Mercer, for all intents and purposes in the Prototype universe, is God. And as the saying goes, "What God gives, God can take away".

Blah whine blah

The nature of a virus is to mutate and evolve on its own. They're not "part-Alex" any more than a person with the flu is "part-whatever the flu originated from." Once Heller was infected, the infection became a new strain only vaguely linked to Mercer.
#5Taiora(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2012 2:36:36 AM
SkybladeNox posted...
Taiora posted...
Blah Blah...

Blah whine blah

The nature of a virus is to mutate and evolve on its own. They're not "part-Alex" any more than a person with the flu is "part-whatever the flu originated from." Once Heller was infected, the infection became a new strain only vaguely linked to Mercer.

Fine, I can accept that once Mercer gives the virus away, it's no longer his (though this seems to be rare, since he is connected to ALL the other Evolved). Regardless, my point here is that it's a mutant strain that is limited by the fact that it has a human body compared to a pure strain virus that's been allowed to mature and gain more "experience" for two years. How exactly did Heller have any shot of taking Alex in the first place?

But anyways, I just needed to get this off my chest.
---
#6wuhugmPosted 8/15/2012 2:50:22 AM
Alex said that Heller and his daughter holds some kind of resilient DNA which is why he can't control or consume him

His hand got absorbed instead, when he tried so

and he also said he wanted to "evolve" the entire world, so it's not simply wanting to destroy gentek anymore, so it's not weird for him to build an army
#7Taiora(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2012 2:59:36 AM
If he wanted to "evolve the world", wouldn't it have been better if he did it in a subtle fashion? And giving people the same powers he had and not thinking this would blow up? Honestly, his character got brutally screwed over.
---
#8vaePosted 8/18/2012 7:48:08 AM
I have to admit I agree with everything TC said. I've just finished the game, and lost all respect for Alex Mercer in the process. Oh and the ending, don't get me started on the ending -_-
#9Face_LostPosted 8/21/2012 7:08:42 PM
Yeah...there is a lot of recycled content from the last game, and a really shoddy story line. I'm thinking they just made this cause they knew they could get a profit from it.
---
Trolling: The act of expressing an opinion.