Sylph cave

#1Ace_Destroyer97Posted 5/3/2011 9:05:06 AM
I've played through this game on other systems so many times I lost count. I just got Edge into my party and beat Rubicante. I tried to head to the sylph cave before going to the sealed cave but man I'm getting decimated in there. I don't remember it being that difficult. I guess I could be underleveled, I'm around level 33, but enough of those evil dreamers are in a fight and my whole party is put to sleep while they wail on me.

Also, I think it's weak that getting hit while your asleep doesn't wake you up.

What level SHOULD I be before heading into the sylph cave and Faymarch?
---
GT - AceDynamicHero
Fighting the good fight is hard. If it wasn't hard... then it wouldn't be heroic.
#2VeghEstherPosted 5/3/2011 9:16:13 AM
I was overleveled level 46+ and won easily but as long as Rosa can use Curaja Reflect and Float you should be fine.
#3demunpuncherPosted 5/3/2011 9:19:53 AM
You could be considered a little underleveled, but it's not that hard, make sure you cast float on every level, have Cecil or Kain (whoever has the higher speed) use (as in through the item menu) the Sleep Blade on all enemies. Then either attack/spellsling or, if you've already done the Feymarch, have Rydia summon Leviathan on her turn then mop up any survivors.
#4Ace_Destroyer97(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2011 9:27:41 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
---
GT - AceDynamicHero
Fighting the good fight is hard. If it wasn't hard... then it wouldn't be heroic.
#5VeghEstherPosted 5/3/2011 9:46:00 AM
As for the sleep blade it only causes the status via physically hitting enemies with it it can't be used as a actually item to cause the status.
#6Neo_RizerPosted 5/3/2011 9:53:27 AM
I was on level 50-55 and I was getting raped in there but I managed to make it through in two goes. The first time it's best to collect all the treasures going towards Yang's location...exit, use a cottage or a couple tents, save your game and go the opposite direction.

Make sure to bring plenty of Hi-Potions with you because you need Rosa's Magic in battle. I think I had to use a couple of ethers on Rydia though while I was opening the 6 chests at the bottom because those battles rely heavily on magic to win quickly.

The Malboro fight is by far the worst of the 6....I almost died on that one. Either way, yeah Sylph cave sucks and the rewards aren't even all that great...the only thing that's decent is the Defender Sword.
---
.erutangis ym si sihT
#7FoofyheadPosted 5/3/2011 9:55:13 AM
I'd say the order of dungeons for the Underground is this: Sealed Cave, until right before you beat the Demon Wall. This gives you plenty of experience, killing Trap Doors. Then, Warp out, and go the Feymarsh. You should have Reflect and Float prior to entry. Grab Leviathan and Ashura, and go to the Sylph Cave. Then, back to the Sealed Cave.

Sure, Sealed Cave twice is going to grate on some people's nerves, but it literally takes about minutes to warp out, and 3 to go through the second time. Plus, if you're grinding for levels, you may as well do it and progress through the story.
---
And people thought the DoHS was a waste of time (disclaimer: tongue fully inserted in cheek):
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6310929.html
#8Ace_Destroyer97(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2011 11:32:40 AM
Foofyhead posted...
I'd say the order of dungeons for the Underground is this: Sealed Cave, until right before you beat the Demon Wall. This gives you plenty of experience, killing Trap Doors. Then, Warp out, and go the Feymarsh. You should have Reflect and Float prior to entry. Grab Leviathan and Ashura, and go to the Sylph Cave. Then, back to the Sealed Cave.

Sure, Sealed Cave twice is going to grate on some people's nerves, but it literally takes about minutes to warp out, and 3 to go through the second time. Plus, if you're grinding for levels, you may as well do it and progress through the story.

Hmm this sounds like a good idea... I think I'll go with that.
---
GT - AceDynamicHero
#9Ace_Destroyer97(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2011 11:33:37 AM
Pazzle Bi Pyus posted...
I was on level 50-55 and I was getting raped in there but I managed to make it through in two goes. The first time it's best to collect all the treasures going towards Yang's location...exit, use a cottage or a couple tents, save your game and go the opposite direction.

Make sure to bring plenty of Hi-Potions with you because you need Rosa's Magic in battle. I think I had to use a couple of ethers on Rydia though while I was opening the 6 chests at the bottom because those battles rely heavily on magic to win quickly.

The Malboro fight is by far the worst of the 6....I almost died on that one. Either way, yeah Sylph cave sucks and the rewards aren't even all that great...the only thing that's decent is the Defender Sword.

Whew... happy to hear I'm not the only one getting destroyed... my gamer pride was severely wounded when I couldn't make it. I've done it so many times before on other consoles...
---
GT - AceDynamicHero
#10Starloving_FoolPosted 5/3/2011 12:17:04 PM
I disagree about going into the Feymarch before the Sylph Cave. Sure, I think you might have an advantage going into the Sealed Cave first, but if you go into the Feymarch next, then the weapons you obtain in the Sylph Cave are useless and only good for sale.

One effective strategy is to have Rydia cast Stop or use Bronze Hourglasses to prevent the Evil Dreamers from overwhelming you; I believe there is also a shield that Cecil can use that will prevent sleep for him and you can have him rip them to shreds with the Lustrous sword.

Again, you'd want to loot the Sylph Cave first so you could obtain the Elven Bow, the Mage Masher, and Edge's weapon (Moonring blade, I think?) before you go claim the weapons in the Feymarch, which are overall stronger and more useful later on.

However, that being said, if you *do* require some levels and you have Float with Rosa, you *could* go just as far into the Feymarch as is needed to fight the battles with summoners who bring forth the Arachne enemy and just kill that enemy over and over again - that would help gain you some levels for your trek into the Sylph Cave.
---
"Thou art such a pain in the...! Confound it all! I'm starting to talk like you!" - Sabin
"Wow... me fail English? That's unpossible!"