So you guys that are playing this game

#1HawkssssPosted 4/2/2012 6:47:44 PM
I'm just curious, seems like a fair amount of people on this board is playing this game, so is it safe to assume that you can all read japanese?
If so how and why did you learn, did you learn it because the japanese animes and games interest you, did you went to a trip in Japan or do you live there, did you took class?
Or are you simply japanese?

This game and other games that didn't get localized almost make me consider learning japanese.. Animes don't interests me that much though.
#2SieKensouPosted 4/2/2012 6:56:05 PM
i want to get into game development and believe jp is good to have under my belt. (and then sub reasons of anime, manga, games)
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#3CelestialWyrmPosted 4/2/2012 11:50:14 PM
I can't read everything by far, but I can understand a lot of what is said in game. I'm currently in my 3rd year of college Japanese with the intention of taking a minor in it and traveling to Japan someday to work as a game developer or some other software engineering.

I initially got into it from anime, wanted to take it in high school but got thrown in Spanish instead. Nevertheless being able to speak a second language is good for anyone, and just so happened I like Japanese the best.

If you want to learn Japanese for the sole purpose of playing this game and others like it, I suggest you just start with the basics and learn the non-Kanji characters; don't concern yourself too much with kanji, that takes years to master. Honestly though it would take at least that long to be able to understand the storyline. With fan translation scripts and wiki at your disposal though, you shouldn't need to learn too much Japanese to play this, if any at all, especially if you are familiar with past Tales games.
---
Currently Watching: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/CelestialWyrm
PSN: CelestialWyrm, playing Tales of Xillia
#4animeftw999Posted 4/3/2012 4:00:59 AM
i dont know anything but im almost done 100% damn u last 2 trophies
#5a_big_fish_stikPosted 4/3/2012 5:42:22 AM
I know little to none JP, but I'm planning on studying it very soon. Going into the computer/gaming field and really want to learn it because I respect their culture and the gaming industry over there.
---
PSN ID: mystik134
Now Playing: Tales of Graces f (PS3)
#6Hawkssss(Topic Creator)Posted 4/3/2012 10:26:20 AM
Thanks for the responses, I might consider learning the basics of japanese if in couple months we heard nothing about xillia being localized. And I'll check out the fan translations.
#7Hikari62Posted 4/4/2012 8:22:20 PM(edited)
I'm semi-fluent (just passed JLPT N2). Been studying for 5 years (although not extensively the last two years). Studied abroad there for a year as well. I still have to pull out my dictionary constantly though, but I can understand more than enough to play through this game.

I originally wanted to be a translator when I entered college. Although I've kind of given up on that (being only semi-fluent in Japanese does not get you a job). Other than that, I've been interested in Japan my entire life so I always wanted to study the language. It's not just about anime/games, I really like studying the culture and I might go back to Japan to teach English.

Always been a big fan of Tales though, so I can't say the desire to play Tales games and other RPGs that never leave Japan was not a factor in my desire to learn Japanese.
#8GenjirouPosted 4/5/2012 8:24:47 PM
Pretty much like Hikari, with the exception of passing the JLPT level 2 (congrats btw). My ability to read and write are way better than my ability to speak and listen. This is most likely due to lack of immersion and usage. If you stick with it and really want to learn it you can do it. However, a word of advice: try not to rely too heavily on anime and/or video games for listening comprehension. I say this because in the majority of anime and things like that, the speech is much much slower than you would find in something like a J-drama.
#9SieKensouPosted 4/5/2012 9:11:45 PM
Hikari62 posted...
I'm semi-fluent (just passed JLPT N2).

just noticed that.... that's equivalent of half of Level 1 in my books (since i suspect them chopping every level in half when turning it to 5 levels)

impressive... the most i think i hv is N4 but officially it is N5
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#10Hikari62Posted 4/6/2012 2:05:11 PM(edited)
SieKensou posted...
Hikari62 posted...
I'm semi-fluent (just passed JLPT N2).

just noticed that.... that's equivalent of half of Level 1 in my books (since i suspect them chopping every level in half when turning it to 5 levels)

impressive... the most i think i hv is N4 but officially it is N5

Actually N2 is essentially the same level of difficulty as the previous 2-kyuu. Same with N1 and 1-kyuu. It was 1-kyuu through 4-kyuu previously as you probably know. What they did is split 3-kyuu into N3 and N4, and made 4-kyuu into N5. Because people thought the difficulty jump from 3-kyuu to 2-kyuu was too big. So they made N3 slightly harder than the previous 3-kyuu. That is my understanding of what happened.

However, N2 or 2-kyuu or whatever it's called, is still miles from 1-kyuu/N1 level sadly. And I can't say I passed N2 with flying colors >.> And the ability to pass N1/1-kyuu is also still miles from native level fluency.

It makes me feel very depressed about my Japanese level lol.