Question about the game's multiplayer...

#1BFRavenPosted 4/9/2013 1:41:05 AM
So me and my friends are considering buying this game and are going to do a 3-4 player coop. But way back since JP release, I heard people here mention that this game's multiplayer is hardly considered playable if you have 3-4 more players in the game. Can I get some clearance on this issue?
---
Felicia/Vergil/Doom and Magneto/Doom/Vergil
PSN: GANGxMEMBER XboxGT: I Gang Member I
#2Rellik NomedPosted 4/9/2013 1:47:18 AM
From what I heard, Link Mode makes your partner an AI even if they are being played by someone else. Since the game revolves around Link Mode, you'll end up having two people playing and the other two watching simply because their characters are taken over.
---
PSN: appleforce
One of the very few that actually enjoyed Tales of Eternia.
#3ArreiPosted 4/9/2013 1:59:48 AM(edited)
And attempting to play without linking, so that everyone gets to control their character, makes you unable to use things like Link Artes or Overlimit.

In other words, to get the most out of Xillia, it's 2-player instead of 4.

It's also possible to do 3-player if the players sort of pass around the lone CPU controlled character while two players go without links, but one way or another you'll only have one link going, except for when you want to link with a friend really fast to pull off a specific mystic arte, or something.
#4MarioakPosted 4/9/2013 4:02:53 AM
Also a lot of skill that you learn require to using a Link system, If your characters aren't in linking in mean those skill goes waste.
---
Ges-chan Juuump! Ges-chan KIIIIIICK!! - Ms.Excellen
Cookie Cookie Cookie start with "C" -Cookie Monster
#574ribsPosted 4/9/2013 4:54:17 AM
How long is linking? I always took it like ToS Unison attacks where it was just for a moment. and can't they get their character back after unlinking? Sounds to me co-op play would revolve around more communication.
---
This anime is pretty good, but it could definitely be improved with a little bit of Kubo magic. - Trolls
#6RpgmonkeyPosted 4/9/2013 5:03:32 AM(edited)
A link stays until someone in the link is KO'd or you deactivate the link.

You can unlink, but a lot of game mechanics are built on the idea that you're linked as often as possible. Certain skills have their effects boosted from links or serve no purpose if not linked, and you can't use partner abilities, link artes, mystic artes, or overlimit. There's also other things you miss like your partner protecting you from an attack, or waking you up when you're dazed.

That said, it's not a requirement or anything to beat the game.
---
Anticipating: FFvXIII (PS3), SMT IV (3DS), Pokemon Y (3DS), SnK SC+3rd (PS3), SnK (PS3), Cyberpunk 2027 (PC), Witcher 3 (PC), Bayonetta 2 (Wii U), TLoU (PS3)
#7beautheschmoPosted 4/9/2013 5:11:55 AM
Linking is permanent. The linked characters share certain skills, and the secondary linked character automatically follows up the main linked character's regular attacks and artes with regular attacks and artes of their own. You are also required to link for overlimit, link artes and Mystic Artes, and due to skill sharing, they are stronger, have better TP management, and have access to extra skills they might not have room for otherwise. Plus once you get fell arms, link partners combine the bonus stats on them, so they are basically twice as strong. The only downside to linking is that link partners share status effects, so stone can really screw you over.

Overall, linking is core to the combat system, and since link partners are automatically taken over by AI, to get the most out of the battle system, you really can't have more than 2 players.

Does that make it impossible to beat the game? Definitely not, Xillia is probably the easiest 3D Tales game to date, the only challenging boss is the bonus dungeon boss, and he's nowhere near the level of, say, Solomus/Spiral Draco/Abyssion/Nebilim. You could beat the game pretty easily, even with 4 players, it just won't look very impressive, since you won't ever see any link artes or Mystic Artes.

Is it fixed in Xillia 2? I don't know, I've never actually done multiplayer, and I haven't seen any discussion about it.
---
Koitsu wa mirai wo takusu eigo no tsurugi da! ZANKUU TENSHOUKEN!!!!
#8darkzero16Posted 4/9/2013 5:47:13 AM
Is it fixed in Xillia 2? I don't know, I've never actually done multiplayer, and I haven't seen any discussion about it.

Same. Still curious though I don't have my hopes up
---
http://i.minus.com/iWAg7c4peXB3x.gif
#9xESRPosted 4/9/2013 9:23:24 AM
darkzero16 posted...

Same. Still curious though I don't have my hopes up

It's still the same.

I played this with 3 players quite often. Judge and Milla are the ones that get the most out of the link. Elize feels like a must on Xillia for me and If you link her she'll usually just do random crap instead of supporting, so I'd rather leave her unlinked as AI, so It didn't bother me much to leave her unlinked with a friend playing her. Which leaves another character unlinked.
#10XxHAVIC101xXPosted 4/9/2013 9:31:11 AM
Will a linked party member still follow direct commands? (Through the menu and shortcuts.)
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc86e7uH1M1r2ttfeo1_400.gif
"But I'm the king. . ."