Murdered by Reviews

#1CyrlousPosted 8/6/2013 11:15:53 PM
I was quite shocked to see how badly this game was reviewed. I'm seeing a lot of 6-7.5 scores hanging out there. I haven't had a chance to play mine yet since I've been playing Dragon's Crown, but I'm kinda worried now. I really loved ToG and I was hoping this would be even better. Does anyone know the major beef people seem to have with this game?
---
The official Ghoul of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#2stier27Posted 8/6/2013 11:20:06 PM
reading reviews are just a hassle if you like the game buy it and experience it i'm totally enjoying mine

reviews are just a POV of the reviewer think of IGN they gave it an 8 and the negative side is just the graphics well Xillia was release 2011 so the graphics are not great
#3Cyrlous(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 11:21:42 PM
Well, scanning through one of the worse reviews they said basically that it's the same old JRPG formula with no new inventions so it feel stale.

I don't understand how it's a negative for a JRPG to be a JRPG. I mean, that's why I'm playing it...
---
#4Crystal_DreamPosted 8/6/2013 11:21:46 PM
Murdered?
No, Duke Nukem Forever got murdered. Ride to Hel: Retribution got murdered. Aliens: Colonial Marines got murdered.

Tales of Xillia did pretty well.
---
"That's because the player keeps mashing the button!"
-Deadpool after slapping Wolverine repeatedly in "Deadpool: The Game"
#5Crystal_DreamPosted 8/6/2013 11:22:48 PM
Cyrlous posted...
Well, scanning through one of the worse reviews they said basically that it's the same old JRPG formula with no new inventions so it feel stale.

I don't understand how it's a negative for a JRPG to be a JRPG. I mean, that's why I'm playing it...

Same people think innovation is everything.
It's not; it's a bonus IF it works, but I'd take a well-done shooter that's cliche'd as hell than a "new and original" but sucky one.
---
"That's because the player keeps mashing the button!"
-Deadpool after slapping Wolverine repeatedly in "Deadpool: The Game"
#6thunderpeteiiPosted 8/6/2013 11:24:24 PM
I could see how you'd give this and a lot of tales games a 6.5. Some videogames feel like a bit of a circle-jerk between critics. If you look at users oftentimes some users don't like games that get rated insanely high GTAIV for instance.

Movies even ones that win awards can get 2 or 3 star reviews. It's at a 79 meta which is fair I think, I'd give it an 8 so far personally which is great.

Scores aren't the end all be all. But, still its human if you really like something you don't want everyone hating it or thinking its merely okay. And aggregate score is a way of measuring that.
#7stier27Posted 8/6/2013 11:26:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#8KarateChopinPosted 8/6/2013 11:29:12 PM
79 on metacritic is really good for a JRPG
#9ArsenicSteelPosted 8/6/2013 11:29:12 PM
If you're so worried then just pop the game in and decided for yourself...or have you never had an opinion that differs from reviewers?
---
A heretic among heretics.
#10Cyrlous(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2013 11:31:17 PM
No, I must form my opinion based solely upon critic reviews.

Seriously though, I guess my concern is that for years there were no ports of many Tales games and I'm afraid that poor foreign reception (outside Japan) will prevent future games from coming overseas, such as Xillia 2 which I hear is actually better than Xillia 1.
---