Oh dear, Isla and Alvin....*spoilers*

#1SonicNextGen2Posted 8/15/2013 8:05:48 PM
That scene with Alvin blackmailing her made me hate him, his English VA made him sound much more of a jerk than his Japanese VA.
#2JetAurionPosted 8/15/2013 8:07:58 PM
Hey, if we're both part of a shady organization and you don't want your secret spilled and only you can give my sick mother the medicine she needs, I'd pull an Alvin, too.
---
No bra can withstand the might of Haku's heaving chesticles.
-UriChan
#3torchic373Posted 8/15/2013 8:08:10 PM
Oooh, keep playing.

Karma is a *****.
---
3DS FC: 2707 1668 9662
#4ArreiPosted 8/15/2013 8:10:55 PM
JetAurion posted...
Hey, if we're both part of a shady organization and you don't want your secret spilled and only you can give my sick mother the medicine she needs, I'd pull an Alvin, too.

This.

I mean, yeah, it was a total jerk move.

But you gotta do what you gotta do, and Isla isn't exactly innocent, herself.
---
3DS friend code: 1977-0588-7595 ACNL: Lloyd from Iselia
Dream Code 5100-2227-1571, come pay a dream visit to scenic Iselia!
#5sora364Posted 8/15/2013 8:20:35 PM
I somewhat agree, but only mildly. But I put myself in Alvin's shoes and thought to myself:

"Ugh...Alvin? I know this this is a Tales of game and all. But in real life, Isla would kill your mother, and rid herself of the burden. No questions asked. Are you stupid? There is nothing and no one to supervise her actions and she seems REALLY ******* desperate to live happily ever after with Yergen.

And lo and behold. You would think someone as cutthroat as Alvin would have seen that coming a mile away.
#6ArreiPosted 8/15/2013 8:21:51 PM
sora364 posted...
I somewhat agree, but only mildly. But I put myself in Alvin's shoes and thought to myself:

"Ugh...Alvin? I know this this is a Tales of game and all. But in real life, Isla would kill your mother, and rid herself of the burden. No questions asked. Are you stupid? There is nothing and no one to supervise her actions and she seems REALLY ******* desperate to live happily ever after with Yergen.

And lo and behold. You would think someone as cutthroat as Alvin would have seen that coming a mile away.

He probably thought she wouldn't have the guts to do something that could be easily found out.

She totally flips her lid when he tells her he knows what she was up to, after all.
---
3DS friend code: 1977-0588-7595 ACNL: Lloyd from Iselia
Dream Code 5100-2227-1571, come pay a dream visit to scenic Iselia!
#7RyoKaibaPosted 8/15/2013 8:26:22 PM
She's not so innocent, tbqh. She put multiple orphans through experiments, then goes on about how she's turned a new leaf and how it's not fair to bring up her past evils now, and how she was "forced" into it from a young age. Then later in the sub-event she pulls off something that makes you REALLY hate her.

Alvin was being a scum-bag, yeah, but he had a clear and somewhat self-less reason for it.
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#8KeijyMaedaPosted 8/16/2013 4:38:46 AM
I kind of felt bad for her at the end of her sub-quest.
I mean, sure, she was a bad person alright but all she wanted was forgiveness and live happily with the man she loved.
And Yurgen easily forgave her when he found out.
#9Arc166Posted 8/16/2013 5:56:03 AM
She ruined so many lives I'd have felt it completely justified if he just shot her in cold blood.

Trying to pull the sympathy card with a past like that when you didn't even try to make up for what you did made me dislike her, and I was proud of Alvin for not giving into her self-absorbed *******.
#10KeyToSuccessPosted 8/16/2013 6:00:37 AM
Isla definitely isn't blameless but Alvin is no saint himself.
---
This is what RPG's are about! Killing people and taking their cool stuff!