To Tales and Final Fantasy fans: do you feel Tales is better than FF?

#1zombie_basher13Posted 1/19/2014 11:06:17 AM
OR more specifically, that Tales is now currently better than FF? This isn't a contest which is overall better from the very first game; what I'm really asking is, does Tales surpass FF as of right now and recently, like past 5-10 years?

IMO, Tales is much better. But only the past 5 or so years, or in other words, back to Graces. Graces I enjoyed more than FF 13 and 13-2, and as I play through Xillia I'm enjoying it MUCH more than 13 and 13-2. And the thing about Graces, while it has corny themes of friendship, it still has excellent writing, endearing characters, and a good plot, unlike 13. However, FF 12 is one of my favorite games of all time, and my favorite FF period, and none of the Tales I've played come close to it, so that's why I say only last 5 years, and this is IMO so don't start a flame war over FF 12; I know it has mixed reception, much like 13. And obviously I feel FF has fallen off greatly in quality after 12.

13 is a piece of crap compared to Xillia. Xillia is amazing; I love it. One of my new favorite RPGs. Its combat is more fun than 13.

It doesn't have any weird/annoying music like 13/13-2.

NONE of the characters are annoying/bothersome like 13/13-2. Xillia is all around more excellently written than 13/13-2. 13 relies on a datalog to flesh out background info and even explain essential story scenes, and yet Xillia has nothing of the sort yet wonderfully develops the world and history of Reize Maxia at a measured pace through scenes, dialog, and skits, and while it has alien terms and subject matter relevant to the player much like 13, it reveals and explains things at the right time.
13 has better graphics but Xillia has better and beautiful art direction which topples 13's stupid obsession with its shallow graphiczzz; 13's art direction is lame boring futuristic sci-fi stuff. Xillia reminds me of FF 12's high quality art direction and superb detail.

And here's the final ironic kicker: FF 13/13-2 feel more like a cliched anime than Xillia, and XILLIA IS DIRECTLY BASED OFF ANIME. Now that's sad. That's how bad 13 series is written. And it BARELY has any humor, ever, but Xillia is brimming with humor; I burst out laughing at a scene or splendid piece of dialogue regularly.

Anyway, I won't go on too much more, I realize this has been TL;DR so I apologize. Overall, Xillia is just great. It shows that Tales of maintains its quality while FF has been seesawing since FF X; Tales of isn't relying on lame MMOs to generate profit; it continually puts out worthwhile games that try new things and tell new stories, while look at FF; it's been stuck in MMO land and the crappy "Lightning Saga" for the last 5 years, stagnating, taken almost an entire decade to make one game FF XV, while Tales is going places and evolving, and not a single MMO yet. FF has 2 already..

I can't wait to play Xillia 2, and Zesteria, so. hyped.
---
Can't wait for The Great METAL GEAR SOLID V - now in two flavors.
#2TAoRPosted 1/19/2014 11:22:22 AM
Overall? I'd say they're about even. Both have good games and both have really meh games. As for nowadays, XIII is a better game than Xillia. Xillia 2 however is better than XIII-2. So yeah it kinda goes back and forth if I were to list all the games and stuff.
#3NextGenCowboyPosted 1/19/2014 11:24:17 AM
Doing a compare/contrast between the series modern installments, or asking a question to fans isn't a bad thing. If you're looking for serious responses though, you shouldn't outright bash the game's you're comparing.

I happen to like XIII, and Xillia for much the same reason, a character focused plot, with lots of development on a personal level. I think XIII is the better game overall though.

Xillia is excellent in the character department, but the strength of Tales games to me has always been combat, and Xillia falters here. Character growth in terms of stats isn't as impressive to me as Graces f or Vesperia, skill selection contains a lot of shared skills learned at about the same time, and the game's discrepancy between boss and regular enemy difficulty is a bit jarring.

If we're only talking about FFXIII, then I think Vesperia is the better game, although one that's not without flaws of its own. Vesperia has trouble keeping a consistent tone, and some events aren't fleshed out enough (chapter 1's finale for instance).

FFXIII has issues regarding content, the same complaint I'd levy against Xillia. Other than the 64 hunts, and chocobo treasure hunt, there's nothing extra in the game to do, other than watch 3 or 4 cutscenes at the edges of the map.

Had XIII retained its story, characters, and everything else, but added extra content in the form of minigames, an arena, a bonus dungeon, and legitimate bonus bosses, then I'd think that it would be significantly better regarded, at least by me. It would also have taken that to beat out Vesperia in my opinion.

As it stand I enjoy both the Tales series, and FF. Tales has consistently released good games, whereas the Final Fantasy series has been up and down for me, but FF has a higher cieling in my mind than Tales. Even Vesperia, my favorite Tales game doesn't compare to FFX, my favorite Final Fantasy.

Speaking only of the post-PS1 games.
#4DXMGPosted 1/19/2014 11:28:13 AM
It's wierd to admit it, especially since I am old enough to remember being one of the VERY few kids defending the original FF against Zelda fanatics on the bus, and having spent 25 years of my life playing, discussing, defending, and praising FF games.... but I do in fact prefer the experience of playing a modern Tales game more (and often MUCH more) than playing a modern FF game.

Destiny and Eternia were cool, but not on the level of FF 7,8,9. Symphonia and Abyss were a much bigger step forward, and created a much smaller gap between themselves and FFX/X-2/XII, but the FFs still won by a nore there for me. But then Vesperia, Graces f, Xillia vs FF13, 13-2, LR? Tales wins by a large margin now.

It'll be interesting to compare Zestiria (or whatever is out then) when FF15 comes out.... I'll have to get a PS4 though. :(
---
Medic!
#5NextGenCowboyPosted 1/19/2014 11:34:33 AM
DXMG posted...
It's wierd to admit it, especially since I am old enough to remember being one of the VERY few kids defending the original FF against Zelda fanatics on the bus, and having spent 25 years of my life playing, discussing, defending, and praising FF games.... but I do in fact prefer the experience of playing a modern Tales game more (and often MUCH more) than playing a modern FF game.

Destiny and Eternia were cool, but not on the level of FF 7,8,9. Symphonia and Abyss were a much bigger step forward, and created a much smaller gap between themselves and FFX/X-2/XII, but the FFs still won by a nore there for me. But then Vesperia, Graces f, Xillia vs FF13, 13-2, LR? Tales wins by a large margin now.

It'll be interesting to compare Zestiria (or whatever is out then) when FF15 comes out.... I'll have to get a PS4 though. :(

I was going to make the Eternia comment actually. As it's my second favorite Tales game, but FF was s good during that time period (including Tactics) that it just didn't compare. As tales games were getting better FFX was released. I know that I'm in the minority (as someone who;s been playing FF for 20+ years), but it's my favorite without question.

In the grand scheme of Tales versus the XIII saga, I like tales better. In terms of individual games stacked up, Vesperia comes first, followed by FFXIII.

I'm also someone who enjoyed Graces f's story and characters in a non-ironic manner.
#6drunkmugglePosted 1/19/2014 11:40:47 AM
I would say since the XIII stuff came out, I do like Tales better. I have only played Xillia, Phantasia, and Symphonia but I'm going to start playing more of 'em. FFX is definitely my favorite Final Fantasy though and I wonder if any of the Tales will trump it for me. I've yet to play Vesperia though I hope to soon and I am currently playing Abyss... Sort of. Once I finish Dual Destinies' DLC
---
hey all you people, hey all you people, hey all you people won't you listen to me?
#7Sand_FlarePosted 1/19/2014 12:26:07 PM(edited)
Currently, yes, Tales is far better than FF. You can mostly attribute that to Square Enix stupidly allotting resources to the FFXIII trilogy, and therefore locking FF into a cycle of crap releases. FFXIV:ARR might be a decent game, but an MMO is not going to have as much exposure as a standard single player console RPG, generally, even if it brings the money in

It's strange. When FFXII came out, I remember Tales of the Abyss coming out at almost the same time. I probably scoffed back then at the people who chose to get Abyss over FFXII, but you know what...the laugh was on me.

Final Fantasy used to have some kind of untouchable holy status to me back then. I was always an FF fanboy at heart, but the landscape has really changed since the PS1 days. FFXIII, and to a much lesser degree FFXII have utterly destroyed that sentiment I used to have about FF.

I really hope that FFXV will be good, but even if it is I doubt that the prestigious status of FF in gaming culture can be revived.
---
http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/022/401/85/N000/000/000/131012177682913204274.gif
#8jastenPosted 1/19/2014 12:24:21 PM
Easily Tales right now... Tales of Vesperia, Graces F, and Xillia are miles ahead of FFXII and XIII saga. The only FF game in the 10 years since x-2 that was any good was Crisis Core. Great game, but ToV easily trumps it still.

Honestly, I'm glad the Tales series, while trying new things here and there, still holds to its core and you can tell you are playing a Tales game still. Final Fantasy lost that FF feel for the most part and are really FF games in name only now.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
Becoming a monster to fight the monster still ends with a monster.
#9Pie335Posted 1/19/2014 12:48:21 PM
I grew up with final fantasy but at the moment for me tales is ahead. Especially Xillia 2 was an amazing game. Have to wait how lightning returns turns out.
#10DelphonPosted 1/19/2014 12:51:52 PM
Pie335 posted...
I grew up with final fantasy but at the moment for me tales is ahead. Especially Xillia 2 was an amazing game. Have to wait how lightning returns turns out.

I could say the same, I grew with Final Fantasy as my favorite series, but after FFX I became disillusioned and Tales has become my new jrpg series of choice. Not only Tales has never disappointed me so far, but I think the series' overall quality is far more stable than Final Fantasy's (Tempest aside, but then FF has plenty of mediocre side games).