MLB 11: The Show FAQ: Version 1.11

#1Mike1494Posted 3/30/2011 8:30:58 PMmessage detail(edited)
MLB 11 The Show FAQ: Version 1.11

Welcome to the MLB 11: The Show FAQ. This isn't some fancy walkthrough of how to hit .800 in RTTS; it's just what a FAQ is, Frequently Asked Questions. The Show is out in full force, and Opening Day is upon us. PLAY BALL!

There are actually no updates to the main FAQ in this release, however, the “Knight’s Rosters” Section has been updated in regards to the annual release of the OS Full Minors Rosters, and we have the new addition of bobhead’s “Sliders for Dummies”

Yes, I am aware 1.11 is not a progression that logically falls in between 1.1 and 1.2. Just go with it. It signifies a progression of 1.1 not worthy of the number 1.2. So it is 1.11

Table of Contents
1.) RTTS questions
2.) Franchise Questions
3.) General Issues
4.) Other Questions
5.) OS Full Minors Rosters
6.) bobhead Presents: Sliders for Dummies

1.) RTTS Questions

Q: What does RTTS mean?

A: RTTS is the abbreviation for Road to The Show.

Q: What is RTTS?

A: Road to the Show is a game mode in MLB 11 that lets you start as a rookie in AA ball and work your way up through the minors, to the majors, with the ultimate goal of making it to the Hall of Fame. In RTTS you will get attribute points based on meeting in game goals and having positive stats. You then use those points to raise your attributes.

Q: Maxing pitching velocity in RTTS.

A: In order to obtain max velocity you must raise the velocity on all of your pitches. Your maxed out fastball is useless if your changeup has a 20 velocity. They balance out. Also, you cannot max your fastball velocity if one of your first three pitches is a straight changeup, regular curveball, or palmball. Add them later. And just because everyone under the sun asks this, ARM STRENGTH WILL NOT MAKE YOU PITCH FASTER

Q: Why aren't my settings loaded when I start a game?

A: Make sure you saved and named your settings. You should see that name at the very top of your settings list, indicating it’s the set of settings being used.

Q: Baserunning/fielding is so boring in RTTS, can I skip it?

A: It's under options in every position except catcher. In catcher mode, you can skip baserunning, but you field no matter what you set fielding to. Also, be warned if you skip baserunning and your player steals bases, it’s your responsibility.

Q: Why does everyone around me get promoted first, even my backup?

A: RTTS puts emphasis on your attributes, so even though you may be tearing it up in AA, your attributes may show that you need to stay there. If you are playing on a low difficulty this can be a good thing as it allows you to get more training points, and thus you raise your attributes faster. It is common to get called up/down a lot in your 2nd and 3rd years for injuries. New to MLB 11 are the performance evaluator feature and the addition of statistics being taken into effect when determining if you get sent up/down.

Q: Why did I get benched? I was playing really well. This is so unfair.

A: Someone else was acquired/came off injury that is better than you is the most common reason, but there are others. The point is, there was a reason.

Q: Can I change my pitchers camera angle to behind the plate in RTTS?

A: Yes. Unlike past years, your pitching camera in RTTS is fully dependant on your saved settings, so feel free to change it to whatever you want.

Q: Can my RTTS Player have custom Walk up music (or reliever entry music?)

A: Yes. See: General Issues

Q: What should my fourth/fifth pitch be in RTTS?

A: A pitch you’re good with. Play some franchise/exhibition and figure it out. That’s more useful than anything we can say.
#2Mike1494(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 8:09:26 PMmessage detail
Q: What is catcher mode? Is it good?

A: Catcher mode the catcher position in RTTS, where you, as a catcher and call the game from behind the plate, as well as batting and baserunning. You must play 3-4 times as much as any other RTTS position, and get no extra training points for it. Take that for what it’s worth.

Q: What pitches can I choose from as a pitcher?

A: MLB 11: The Show details various pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. 17 different pitch types include four-seam, two-seam, cutter, and split finger fastballs, six breaking pitches (curveball, 12-6 curve, slider, sinker, slurve, screwball), four change-ups (straight, circle change, palmball, forkball), and four specialty pitches (knuckle, knuckle-curve, gyroball, and vulcan change)

Q: What is a Vulcan change? Is the gyroball in the game?

A: The Vulcan change is a changeup that moves much like a circle change, but faster and with later break. It is most famous for being thrown by Eric Gagne, who holds the record for most consecutive saves in MLB history. This pitch is not selectable, but is randomly assigned to some pitchers the game creates. A gyroball is a fabled pitch once thought to be thrown by Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka. It has been proven to be non-existent; however you can edit Daisuke’s pitch selections to include it. It breaks like a slider except has no vertical movement. He is the only pitcher in the game who can be assigned a gyroball.

Q: Why can’t I use Number 42 in RTTS/Franchise? Mariano Rivera can use it…

A: On April 15, 1997, Jackie Robinson's jersey number, 42, was retired by Major League Baseball; no future player on any major league team can wear it. The number was retired in ceremonies at Shea Stadium to mark the 50th anniversary of Robinson's first game with the Dodgers. A handful of players who wore number 42 as a salute to Robinson, such as the Yankee’s Mariano Rivera, Mets' Butch Huskey and Boston's Mo Vaughn, were allowed to continue to use the number by means of a grandfather clause. All other players besides Rivera have since changed their number voluntarily, retired, or changed teams.

2.) Franchise Questions

Q: In Franchise can I play a game that is less than 9 innings?

A: No.

However, you can play games less than 9 innings in season mode. When you begin your season, it is one of the startup options.

If you don't want to play one season, season mode extends over multiple seasons, the only things you lose from franchise are minors (it is replaced by an "Inactive" roster), and business management.

Q: In franchise why do my players need to be rested so often?

A: The fact is, not many players in the MLB play 162 days a year. I personally use a management system that usually gets all my starters as many starts with as much stamina as possible. In the American League, you need 12 batters for this to work. In the National League, you need 12, but I suggest 13. Every time a player gets to 2/3 stamina, I sub them out, or make them the DH, if applicable. This can get hectic to keep up with at the end of long stretches without an off day, but that’s the life of a MLB manager.

Q: Can you have a fantasy draft while controlling multiple teams in franchise mode?

A: Yes

Q: Can I apply roster updates in the middle of my franchise?

A: No. If they did this, I number of things would be messed up, such as signings and trades you made, free agency, drafts, waivers, etc. It can’t happen.

Q: Can you control every team in Franchise?

A: Yes, this was a new feature to MLB 10: The Show. You can control every team in Franchise, and manually add injuries and make trades, which means you can now have that perfectly realistic season you always wanted.
#3Mike1494(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 8:10:04 PMmessage detail
Q: Where are promotions in franchise?

A: Go to a home game on your schedule. You will find them in the menu that is accessed once you click X on the date you want to schedule promotions on.

3.) General Issues

Q: Hitting is way too hard

A: Practice, practice, practice. Turn down the difficulty, slow down pitch speed, take a strike, use practice mode, whatever floats your boat. You’ll get there eventually.

Q: I can't figure out the base running, I looked at the manual and it says left stick plus base icon to advance an individual runner. What is the base icon?

A: The base icon is the button you press when you're throwing to that base. I.e. to make a runner on 1st go to 2nd, press right on the left stick to target the runner on 1st, then triangle to tell him to go to 2nd, square for 3rd, or X for home.

Q: Are there rainouts, delays, and doubleheaders?

A: No, there are rain effects in game, however they have no effects on the continuance of the season in any way.

Q: I have umpire calls on variable; does that come into account when the 1st or 3rd base umpire has to decide if a ball landed foul or not?

Q: Can I edit potential ratings of players and prospects?

Q: Why isn’t this guy in a roster update, he is over/underrated, etc.

A: Players can’t be inserted into an official SCEA roster unless they’ve played a regular season major league game, and rookies usually take a few weeks to be created from there. For ratings, go to roster control and change them. If you want players who are in the minors, download Knight’s roster from the roster vault, find said player, and copy his attributes to a created player on your roster, or just keep his roster. The roster can be found on the roster vault under the name OSFullMinors2010V1. The original release featured every minor league player named, and subsequent releases featured things such as every player having their real face and equipment and pitchers having updated repertoires.

Q: How in-depth are roster updates?

A: Roster updates come out every Monday and they can be downloaded by pressing Save Live Rosters in the online menus. They include injuries, call ups, transactions, position changes, and attribute edits. Players that have not played an MLB game but are expected to play opening day will only be added on the first roster update AFTER opening day. Many players will be on the following roster update, two weeks after opening day.

Q: How do I get downloaded players into my roster?

A: After saving the player from the player vault, click on roster control. Highlight the team you want to add the player to, and press X. Then, click on manage roster. Scroll down the team's roster until you find a random minor leaguer you would like to replace with your downloaded player. (Note: You must replace a position player with another position player, and a pitcher with another pitcher) Press X with that player highlighted, and press Import position player/import pitcher. Load your downloaded player, and voila.

Q: I'm hitting the yellow part every time on the pitching meter and am still missing my target by a huge amount. Am I doing something wrong or is the game just broken?

A: You obviously won't hit your target precisely every time, so don't expect that. If your individual pitch confidence (that little blue bar above your pitches in game) is low you're going to struggle to hit your spots. You raise that by getting the pitch over for strikes and getting swings and misses. And pitchers aren’t perfect. They miss their spots. If you can pitch 6 innings and only give up a few runs, you’re doing fine. It's called a quality start for a reason.
#4Mike1494(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 8:10:28 PMmessage detail
Q: Is there a way to decrease the space between where you aim and where the ball goes is to increase the control of all your pitches?

A: Not really, like I said, pitchers are human, and aren’t perfect. Adjust and move on.

4) Other Questions

Q: How do I put custom music into the game?

A: You need the CD or a flash drive. Rip the song from the CD/drive to the PS3, go to My MLB Music and add it.
Note: Music must be in .mp3 format

Q: Why can't I set my custom music as walkup music, homerun music, etc?

A: On the screen where you added the music to the jukebox, press R2. The menu at the right will change from 'Jukebox' to 'In Game Cues'. Add the songs you want to use in-game there, then you will be able to place them in the applicable music slot in create-a-player.

Q: Why have legendary players been removed from the game this year?

A: Yes, unfortunately SCEA's agreement with these retired players has come to an end, forcing them to deal with each player's estate individually if they wanted to put them in this year’s game. However, their batting stances will likely be kept in the game (under a Generic name) so you will be able to create your favorite legends and upload them to the roster vault for the world to download.

The above answer is credited to the Operation Sports FAQ.

Q: What’s up with the new analog controls? Can I use the old system?

A: MLB 11 features a new analog control system that allows pitching, hitting, and fielding to be played using true analog controls. You’ll never use a face button again! Video tutorials for all of these new schemes have been posted by the SCEA team and can be found online. All of the old control schemes are available for use, as well as a new one button play mode.

Q: Why are last year's managers still on their old teams?

A: Nobody really knows, though it is suspected to be a licensing issue in the original game. After you download a roster update, the managers should update to the current ones.

Q: The Show or 2K11?

A: Both games gave a demo on the PSN Store. Try the demos and decide for you. Not many choose 2K over The Show, although 2K does seem to have improved this year. What would the world be without rules having exceptions though?

Q: Is manager mode still in the game?

A: Manager Mode is no longer a game mode in the main menu, however, it can still be accessed during Season and Franchise Modes.

Q: Why isn't this game on XBOX 360?

A: It was created by Sony.

Q: Can you use PlayStation Move in the game?

A: .The PlayStation Move is compatible with only the Home Run Derby mode and cannot be used in regular games

Q: Is there co-op in the game?

A: Yes and no. Co-op play (2v2, 2v1, 2vCPU) is available in exhibition games and online, however it cannot be played in any other game modes such as franchise.

Q: What is the difference between Broadcast and Real Time Presentations?

A: Broadcast mode is like watching a game on TV. Cut ins, replays, and glossing over details. Real time presentation is like watching the game in real time, batters walk up to the batter’s box and are shown before and after at bats, pitchers circle the mound waiting for the next batter, hitters walk back to the dugout, fielders get back into position and the like. Note that real time presentation can be used with or without replay cut-ins.

On an unrelated note, some presentation options were removed this year as well. These include the option to specify the number of instant replays you want to see over the course of the game, it’s all or nothing.
#5Mike1494(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 8:23:50 PMmessage detail(edited)
Q: I heard there were new camera angles this year. What are they?

A: As well as a multitude of new camera angles including angles used in every MLB team’s broadcasts, there is also a custom camera angle this year to give you that perfect fit.

5.) OS Full Minors Rosters

Also known as:
KNIGHT’S ROSTERS

Knights Rosters are a yearly installment of rosters containing every minor league player that can be fit into the game, as well as edits to faces, equipment, stances, and even the pitches of all players. They are far in wide considered the best rosters to use to enhance your MLB: The Show experience. You can follow the rosters on Operation Sports at http://www.operationsports.com/forums/scea-sports-mlb-rosters/475851-operation-sports-full-minors-2011-a.html

The first roster release for MLB 11: The Show is now online! You can download them via the in-game roster vault under the name O.S.F.M Full Minors, the best way to find them in the roster vault is to sort the vault by percentage, it should be one of, if not the, first on the list. They can also be downloaded to your game via a flash drive by downloading them from the link in Knight’s post in the above topic on OS.

6.) bobhead Presents: Sliders for Dummies

I know that you know I that I know that you have no clue what any of the sliders do. Don’t worry, we’re here to help! In the newest addition to the FAQ, our very own bobhead will explain what all of the sliders do and help you get the best gameplay experience possible. So, without further stalling on my part, go ahead and explain away!

I guess I’ll post my customary closing sentence now, since this is my last post of the FAQ.

Everyone feel free to post your own questions to be answered, or tell me anything I have wrong or forgot. That's (not) it. Now go play the game already!!
#6bobheadPosted 3/30/2011 8:17:45 PMmessage detail(edited)
*Post 1 of 3*

The following is a reference that fully explains each slider and what it does, based on my own experience, my own experiments, and observations. I do not include every slider, because there are a couple that I feel are very self-explanatory, such as say Fielder Speed, but if there is a slider you feel should be added, you are more than welcome to suggest it in this thread or via PM, and I will edit in an explanation.

Contact: Affects a batters ability to put the bat on the ball. Does NOT necessarily mean you will get more hits, it just means more of your swings will come into contact with the pitch, as opposed to swinging right through it. This option affects foul ball counts. Increasing ONLY this option reduces strikeouts, while increasing fly outs, ground outs, etc... and also slightly increasing your batting average. Increasing ONLY this option will slightly increase foul ball counts. This setting also affects your ability to check swings successfully, and affects bunting to some extent. If too many of your outs are coming from strikeouts, this is the option to change. For the AI, this setting also affects discipline.

Power: This is pretty simple, affects how far batted balls travel, nothing more, nothing less. Increasing ONLY this option will increase home runs and sacrifice flies, and to some extent, will give your line drives a little more pop, meaning fewer of them will be randomly caught in the infield. If you are hitting too few, or too many, home runs, this is the option to change.

Timing: Affects a batters sensitivity to changes in pitch speed. If you are early or late in your swing, this option affects how much contact you will make on that swing. This works a lot like the Contact slider, just for time instead of location. Increasing ONLY this option will reduce missed swings due to being early on a breaking ball, or late on a fastball, (or the reverse). It will also increase batting average. If the game tells you that you are late/early too much for your liking, OR you are constantly hitting the ball off the end of the bat, OR getting jammed, due to poor timing, (or if this isn't happening enough) this is the option to change. For the AI, this setting also affects ability to recognize pitch speed, and thus, affects the number of missed swings per-game.

Foul Frequency: Affects the ratio of Foul balls to Fair balls. This setting overlaps with the Timing setting, to some extent, because the higher this setting, the better your timing has to be to put the ball in play. This option does NOT affect strikeouts (except when bunting). Increasing ONLY this option will lead to a larger number of foul balls, but does NOT make you magically foul off pitches you weren't supposed to make contact on. Rather, on a pitch you would have made contact on anyway, this setting affects the likelihood it lands foul, as opposed to being an infield ground out, fly out, hit, or home run. If too many balls are being put into play, and at-bats are too short, even when producing offensively, this is the option to change.

Solid Hits: Affects the definition of “good wood” (lol). This setting affects the ratio of hits to ground outs/fly outs. If you would make contact on a swing regardless, this setting makes the difference between a line drive (or home run) and an easy out. This setting directly affects batting average. This setting does NOT affect the number of strikeouts, and will not substantially increase home run totals from non-home run hitters, such as Shane Victorino. Increasing ONLY this option will significantly increase batting average and slightly increase home runs. If you are having trouble with your overall offensive production, or are producing too many hits/runs, this is the option to change.
#7bobheadPosted 3/30/2011 8:30:00 PMmessage detail(edited)
*Post 2 of 3*

Stamina: Self Explanatory. Affects the amount of energy consumed with each pitch. Increasing ONLY this option will increase the number of innings a pitcher lasts before tiring out. If pitchers tire too quickly, or throw too many complete games (do not confuse this with pitch count issues) this is the option to change.

Pitcher Control: Affects a pitcher's accuracy, and their ability to paint the corners. Directly affects walk to out ratios. Does NOT directly affect opposing offensive ability, despite the game's description. This does affect offense in some ways however, specifically because it affects the ratio between hitter's counts and pitcher's counts, which means in the long run there will probably more hittable pitches intentionally thrown. Increasing ONLY this option will increase strikeouts, reduce walks, and slightly increase the number of pitches in the strike zone. If a pitcher is hitting their spots on the black too frequently, or not able to paint the corners enough, this is the option to change.

Pitcher Consistency: Affects a pitcher's sensitivity to pressure. Affect's the average number of “disaster” pitches per inning, or per game, IE: a pitcher's overall effectiveness. DOES directly affect ball to strike ratios, but NOT in the same way as Pitcher Control (see below). This option simply affects how “good” your pitches, and consequently, your pitchers, will be. You know how the yellow bar in the pitch meter disappears when you suck? This option affects how quickly that happens; for example, a setting of 0 will generally lead to pitchers losing confidence very quickly.

Increasing ONLY this option will increase the frequency of no-hitters, shutouts, etc... Increasing ONLY this option will decrease opponent run differentials; it will decrease the number of hittable pitches per inning, thus reducing opposing batting average. It will increase a pitcher's ability to perform in critical situations, and thus will reduce walks due to “stupidity” such as bases loaded walks and other “meltdown” type things. It will also reduce the "hangers" to "not hangers" ratio. If your late-inning pitchers are generally unreliable (or too reliable), if you are seeing too many pitches right down the middle, and overall just not seeing the right level of performance from your pitching staff, this is the option to change.

If you are still hazy on the difference between the two pitcher sliders, consider this: Lowering Pitch Control will turn Tom Glavine into Tom Glavine on a bad day. Pitch Control affects a pitcher's ability to pinpoint spots and be “perfect”. It affects “close” walks, such as ones where a call could have gone either way, or a batter just took some really good pitches that were a bit out of the strike zone. Lowering Pitch Consistency will turn Tom Glavine into Oliver Perez. It affects a pitcher's ability to maintain consistency and get “big” outs. The game description is pretty spot-on, this slider affects wild pitches and all of that stuff, too. If you lower ONLY your only opponent's Pitch Consistency, but you never swing the bat, you will NOT necessarily draw a higher number of walks.
#8bobheadPosted 3/30/2011 8:32:40 PMmessage detail(edited)
*Post 3 of 3*

CPU Strike Frequency: Affects Pitcher aggressiveness. Directly affects Ball to Strike ratios. Does NOT directly affect walk to out ratios, because on 3-0 you are still probably getting a pitch down the middle. Note the difference, if Albert Pujols is at the plate, and the bases are loaded: A low Pitcher Consistency leads to a higher probability of Pujols getting a mistake pitch. A high Strike Frequency will increase the likelihood that Pujols gets pitches that are actually in the strike zone, but does not necessarily make them more hittable. Whereas Pitcher Consistency affects the frequency of “bad” pitches, that in turn probably get turned into home runs, Strike Frequency affects the frequency of pitches that intentionally cross over the plate. Increasing ONLY this option will reduce walks, especially intentional ones. Increasing ONLY this option will slightly increase opponent offense. Increasing ONLY this option may drastically reduce overall pitch counts.

CPU Pickoffs: Affects the number of attempted pickoffs by AI-controlled pitchers. Does NOT affect the success rate of a pickoff.

Baserunner Steal Ability: Affects how good of a jump a base stealer gets (reaction time to a pitcher's delivery), as well as susceptibility to pickoffs.

Steal Frequency: When a base is successfully stolen, a CPU-controlled pitcher makes an increased effort to prevent further stolen bases. When a base is successfully stolen, the baserunner has a reduced Baserunning Ability (perhaps to simulate fatigue). This option affects the magnitude of those two mechanics. It also affects the overall aggressiveness of a CPU-controlled baserunner. In short this option affects the game's “tolerance” to steals. If CPU opponent's don't seem to make enough pitchouts, or just overall don’t seem to care much about a baserunning threat, and finally, if CPU baserunners don't steal enough bases, this is the option to change.

*End of Post*
#9TheGraniteStatePosted 3/30/2011 8:15:32 PMmessage detail
So this is what that "bobhead check your messages" was about =D
---
Why was 6 afraid of 7?..... It wasn't, Numbers are not sentient and thus incapable of feeling fear...
#10Mike1494(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2011 8:18:00 PMmessage detail
<_<

>_>

Maybe.
---
Please click here for all your Frequently Asked Question needs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/616326-/58640967