Review topic

#1obishawnPosted 6/3/2011 9:03:37 PM
GameStop isn't carrying the game (so far) and it seemed like the only place you could get the game is off of the internet. But I found the game at Toys R Us today.

I've played a few of the ATV games available on the DS, including MX vs. ATV Reflex, MX vs ATV Untamed, Dirt 2 (more of an off-road racer than ATV, but still...) and ATV Quad Kings and by far ATV Wild Ride is the best of the bunch!

Let's get this out of the way; it is an ATV racer and if you expect more than that, you will be disappointed. But, that being said, it is very well made. If you know Renegade Kid at all, then you are aware of how much pride Jools takes in maintaining a perfect 60 frames per second in their previous titles (Dementium the Ward, Dementium 2 and Moon) and ATV Wild Ride is no exception.

The game play is smooth and flawless. The controls are tight and responsive. The tracks/environments are diverse and fun to drive through.

The gist is this:

Obviously, you are racing. As you race, you can perform stunts in the air. The stunts earn you turbo, the turbo lets you boost ahead of the other racers and you win the race. Stunts are fun and easy to execute and depending on the jump, you sometimes have time to perform at least two stunts a jump, especially once you get used to pulling them off. As you win races, you unlock other ATVs and riders, with each ATV having different stats than the others (top speed, acceleration and handling). The riders seem to have no effect on the handling of the ATV. The game has wireless 2-4 multi-card play.

Mario Kart is the best and the My Sims Racing and Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing (Mario Kart clones) are pretty good too but for not being a cart racer, I would say this is the best racer I've played on the DS. I say that comparing it to any of the Need for Speed games, any of the Asphalt games, Speed Racer, Grid, Juiced 2, Diddy Kong, Trackmania and any of the ATV games I listed previously, including Dirt 2.

The game is easy to pick up and play. A quick and simple tutorial will teach you how to pull off the jumps and tricks and that's pretty much all you need to know. The rest is up to your improvinational creativity at the time of the jump.

At a retail price of only $20, I definitely recommend this game if you even have a slight interest in it. Jools Watsham and the rest of the Renedage Kid team have made another fine game!
---
http://www.metroidmetal.com - Metroid music remixed to metal
http://www.backloggery.com/obishawn - See my sidebar for more free VG music
#2sykotekPosted 6/4/2011 1:39:22 AM
I've been looking all over for this for the last few months and was told a few days ago that it could be ordered online. Good to know it can be found at TRU also, I'll check the local stores tomorrow. I look forward to playing it and thanks for the review.