so, how is this?

#1RealTidesPosted 10/23/2012 11:39:12 AM
just saw it on steam
is it good?
#2wizaerdPosted 10/23/2012 11:42:36 AM
It's awesome, if you like this sort of game. If you expect instant gratification, it's not a game I'd recommend. It plays like Civilization, but with magic.
#3GenTRPosted 10/23/2012 1:28:48 PM
I saw this on Steam and it looked interesting until I saw it was by Stardock and basically a sequel or add on to the abomination that was Elemental War of Magic. Next...
#4SunaebPosted 10/23/2012 8:40:14 PM
That's not really being fair to Stardock, since I would consider most of their previous games (Galatic Civilizations, SIns of a Solar Empire) hits rather than misses.

I don't know how the actual game is, but first impressions from others have been good. I also give Stardock major props for giving Fallen Enchantress free-of-charge to purchasers of War of Magic - imo the gesture shows how much they respect their customers. I'm personally purchasing the game because I feel Stardock is a company worth supporting.
#5CCPOzymandiasPosted 10/23/2012 9:36:37 PM
This game is awesome. It's like a fantasy version of galactic civs 2.
---
I love you.
#6SunricerPosted 10/24/2012 2:57:42 AM
Bought it early to get access to the beta, not actually played the full game yet, but the beta was a lot of fun imo. The game, to me at least, feels like a mix of Heroes of Might and Magic and Civilization. I'll probably enjoy the full game even more than the beta.
#7dzimmPosted 10/24/2012 7:00:51 AM
I like it so far, but much of the game is still a mystery to me. It's a lot different than the more focused empire building of the Civilization franchise. Having your avatar exist as a character in the game world really puts a new twist on things. I try to divide my time between city management/expansion and exploring/leveling up, but I haven't found the right balance yet because I keep getting my butt kicked by the monsters that roam the countryside.

There's quite a lot to keep track of, and it's a little overwhelming at times. The learning curve seems rather steep which should make you happy if you think games are too "dumbed down" these days.
#8dzimmPosted 10/24/2012 7:04:20 AM
GenTR posted...
I saw this on Steam and it looked interesting until I saw it was by Stardock and basically a sequel or add on to the abomination that was Elemental War of Magic. Next...

That's not an unreasonable position to take, but you should understand that this isn't so much a sequel but rather the game that War of Magic should have been in the first place. Stardock is also giving it away for free to anybody who registered War of Magic before the end of 2010, so this is a company that stands behind their promise that if their customers aren't happy with a product then they will do whatever they have to to make it right, even if that means developing a whole new game and giving it away for free. Whatever your opinion of their previous attempt, you have to at least give them respect for that.
#9nukedysfunkPosted 10/24/2012 8:50:43 AM
dzimm posted...

There's quite a lot to keep track of, and it's a little overwhelming at times. The learning curve seems rather steep which should make you happy if you think games are too "dumbed down" these days.

I've noticed the same thing about the difficulty. The ai gives me a really tough time on the "challenging" setting. Challenging is essentially normal mode too, as ai cheating doesn't start until the next setting above it.
---
Aww yeah... Shim Sham
#10Bigj089Posted 10/24/2012 8:00:54 PM
dzimm posted...
GenTR posted...

That's not an unreasonable position to take, but you should understand that this isn't so much a sequel but rather the game that War of Magic should have been in the first place. Stardock is also giving it away for free to anybody who registered War of Magic before the end of 2010, so this is a company that stands behind their promise that if their customers aren't happy with a product then they will do whatever they have to to make it right, even if that means developing a whole new game and giving it away for free. Whatever your opinion of their previous attempt, you have to at least give them respect for that.

I agree with this. Im downloading it right now. Got it for free myself.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator