Final Fantasy XIII-2: Moar emo, moar fmv, and moar hallwayz

#31DizzyDalePosted 4/24/2011 1:22:07 AM
Why do we have to compare every Final Fantasy game to Final Fantasy games past?
I don't get it.
For arguments sake, they're each their own unique game.
They could be like every FPS out there since 199X and not make any innovations...

Least Square is attempting to shake things up.
For that, I give them props.

For all this "XIII suxx compared to VI/VII!!"
We might as well say that every RPG that comes out, Final Fantasy or not, should be damned to the never ending depths of Hell for not being up to par with Final Fantasy (insert number here).
---
(>' ')> <( ' ' )> <(' '<)
#32JawbonePosted 5/14/2011 9:12:56 AM
Okay, I'm going to compare FF XIII to a past game. I hated it even more than I hated FF8, and I truly loathed that game. Question, didn't they learn their lesson after making FFX-2? I'll admit, that FFX had a couple of...nasty quirks...but I still enjoyed the game none the less. The "sequel" was just HORRIBLE! I'm firmly in the camp where anything FF after X was just awful. I'll just stick with franchises like Dragon Quest, Golden Sun, and the "Tales" series from now on.

Despite my venom, I will forever hold onto the hope that Square can pull it together, and start making good Final Fantasies again. I mean, if Duke Nukem Forever came out, then maybe I can go back to a world where I can barely contain my anticipation for a new Final Fantasy game.
---
Death: It's what you get for living.
#33MasterViVi2Posted 5/27/2011 11:06:46 PM
TallWhiteNinja posted...
^FF13 had great character development, actually: you might not like the characters (I still want to kill Hope), but I thought they were among the most fleshed out in the entire series. And if you want to call these characters out for being "emo" I advise playing some of the older ones (namely FF8) again; not a new thing for Final Fantasy.

Hell, the severe linearity isn't even entirely a new thing: FF10 wasn't as bad, but there was a lot of running in straight lines there, too. Not to excuse it (it was my main complaint about 10, as well), but it's not a new affront to the series, either.

The plot, yeah, that was mediocre even by the series standard. Still, though, this game does not compare that unfavorably to the earlier entries: it's not the series' worst game (FF2 is a mess, even in the remakes. If you want to stick with the modern ones, FF12).

How sad. FF12 is a great game. Story is better then most in the series, easily.

If you think Squall is 'emo' you should either play it again, learn what the word really means or stop listening to the other tools on gamefaqs. Being an unfriendly, unhappy person does not make one 'emo'. No where does Squall act as though he is seeking peoples pity, nor does he act depressed. He just doesnt want much to do with people. That isnt emo.

tc - troll harder dude. you could have caught more haha
---
Sick of teleporting knife attacks, Twerpy kids sniping all match and playing CoD 4 version 3? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960407-brink
#34JawbonePosted 5/31/2011 2:17:54 PM
I'm agreeing with Master Vivi, Squall wasn't emo.

At the same time, the characters in FF13 aren't emo, they were just one dimensional. 12 was one of those games where I loved the story, but absolutely loathed the gameplay
...kinda like Silent Hill 4....which makes me sad.

But back on emo, right now, I'm thinking Sephiroth, Edward the bard (Actually...Cecil and Kain had their emo moments...), aaaannnnd can't think of anyone else in FF off the top of my head.
---
#35cronolink9Posted 6/2/2011 2:11:51 PM
At the same time, the characters in FF13 aren't emo, they were just one dimensional.

Yeah, not really. I could think of several "modern" FF games that are more guilty of this than XIII. And I don't have much of a problem with them.
---
Official Timekeeper of TLoZ: SS Board
May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
#36JawbonePosted 6/2/2011 2:36:37 PM
Problem is, I didn't put any more than roughly 10-15 hours into the game, and there was almost zero character development in that time. Plus, it felt like they were going on auto-pilot for filling character quotas.

I could think of several "modern" FF games that are more guilty of this than XIII

Not only can I think of instances to, but that's actually really depressing for Final Fantasy. I will still forever hope that this series will return to its former glory. C'mon Square, you can do it!
---
#37vgplaya89Posted 6/2/2011 4:53:30 PM
Lol @ Final Fantasy "requiring exploration"

the world map is an illusion of freedom. X-2 was the only game where you could actually impact the flow of the game with choices, and explore freely. iirc.
---
Life's simple; you make choices and you dont look back...
Supporter of the Association For a Grenade Free America