Academia 500AF "one time monster encounter" question (spoilers)

#1TBD2009Posted 3/16/2012 11:31:06 PM
I'm just now entering Academia 500AF, and was warned in advance to look out for these three monsters:

Xoloti, Miquiztli, and Tezcatlipoca.

I've heard that Miquiztli, and Tezcatlipoca will spawn as a pair (or just Xoloti by himself, though the Mimi will sometimes summon him into battle)... but that it was a "one time encounter". I've also heard that if I get the "Final Battle" Gate Seal, and reverse time in Academia, I can re-fight these three monsters.

So... which is it? Are these a "you snooze, you lose" encounter, or can I just do like I had to with the Fencers, and enable time reversal until it gives me the crystals for all three?

I know these aren't "super special" monsters, or anything... but I would like to have one of every monster crystal in FFXIII-2... including all of those "One per gamefile" monsters.

Thanks in advance for any help answering this question.
#2widget624Posted 3/16/2012 11:52:31 PM
They can fight them again by closing the gate. The only monsters that are in limited quantity are those that you get with moggle throw, twilight odin and gigantuar.
#3TBD2009(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2012 1:46:35 PM
widget624 posted...
They can fight them again by closing the gate. The only monsters that are in limited quantity are those that you get with moggle throw, twilight odin and gigantuar.

Widget to the rescue! Thanks man, this means I can rampage Academia 500AF without worry that I'm going to lose entries in the Bestiary, or monster friends. I was worried because one guide had worded it so it sounded like "You can miss these monsters ~forever~" and another made it sound like "You can just keep fighting them until you get them".

Now I know, and I'll be able to take on the final chapter without worry.
#4Materia-KeeperPosted 3/18/2012 12:34:33 PM
thing is, you can only fight them one time each visit. so you go and fight them on that platform. You don't get them, you have to reclose the gate and do the maze again.
---
Take this night, wrap it around me like a sheet, I know I'm not forgiven, but maybe I can find some peace
#5TBD2009(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2012 4:09:16 PM
Materia-Keeper posted...
thing is, you can only fight them one time each visit. so you go and fight them on that platform. You don't get them, you have to reclose the gate and do the maze again.

Ah, I see. So the advice to "Save before you fight them, and if you don't get the Crystal, restart your save file" is a much better idea, then. Because I don't really want to be jumping through that stupid maze of rotating pillars for three hours, trying to catch ~three~ one-of-a-kind monsters.
#6abbazabba255Posted 3/18/2012 4:26:58 PM
They only spawn once, as someone mentioned, in the top right corner of the map near the exit. They rotate in appearance, once in will be the paired beasts, and the next time you reverse and re-enter it will be the solo large beast. Rinse and repeat. Mimi summons one of the pair, so it's not that useful.
#7Materia-KeeperPosted 3/18/2012 4:49:24 PM
turn on the battlemania. The lone Woodwraith is a rare encounter
---
Take this night, wrap it around me like a sheet, I know I'm not forgiven, but maybe I can find some peace
#8TBD2009(Topic Creator)Posted 3/18/2012 5:28:26 PM
I don't have Battlemania just yet. I've not beaten Academia 500 AF... was waiting until I knew for 100% that I can get my complete Bestiary entries for all three Woodwraiths, and capture them all, before I even set more than a few feet into the area.

I've 100%'d the rest of the maps... with Academia 500 AF being the last one I need to hand over to Mrs. Horizon. I wonder if I can get 100% here, before I encounter the Woodwraiths or not...

Either way, at least I know that with Time Reversal, I can get these guys... that's what mattered the most to me. I've even taken down Raspital and have the full database entry for him in my Bestiary... so after doing the Paradox Endings, and getting the data for the final area, I should be able to talk to Professor M and get his Fragment, too.
#9Materia-KeeperPosted 3/18/2012 6:05:50 PM
you can 100% it actually, if you go down the stairs to the platform, it should explore it for you. As well as the yellow exclamation at the end, if you run towards and "fall"down the gap it will search the area ahead as well and 100% the level
---
#10TBD2009(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 3:15:18 AM
Sweet deal. I should be able to get my Battlemania fragment skill before having to do the Woodwraiths, then.