Honestly.... FF-13-3

#31MajinGASKAPosted 4/17/2012 11:56:24 AM
TBD2009 posted...
Well, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion... though, I have to ask the obvious question... if you disliked Final Fantasy XIII so much... why did you bother with FFXIII-2? I mean, you had to have expected the same game, or "worse", with the direct sequel... especially if you've been following the Final Fantasy series far enough back to have played X and X-2.

I just find it odd, is all.

That said, I will admit that while I enjoy FFXIII immensely, I did not like that the game held my hand from the very start, all the way up until the final disc. I know how to play J-RPGs... I've been playing them since the programmers associated with the Xbox generation of games were wearing diapers... so I felt quite a bit annoyed by the absolute linearity of the game. I felt that FFXIII-2 improved on that, and returned us to the "Okay, you're in a new world... we'll drop you off in the ghetto, and you can try to figure out where to go. Here's a compass, a paper bag, a vile of water, and a butter knife. Try to find your way out!".

3 letters...OCD. Other wise I'd replay FF7 and Xenogears over and over and over. I am psyched for Xenoblade and ME3 though. FFXIII and 2 did have some great aspects, being the great graphics, characters and soundtrack. The story grew on you too by the time you got to the end of each games. The gameplay and gameflow is what brought it down IMO.
---
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#32TBD2009Posted 4/17/2012 5:37:18 PM
Ah... good ol' OCD, how I hate it so... the one thing that makes me spend two hundred or more hours on a game I've already beaten in well under half that time. I feel your pain.

FFVII was a good game, but I have to give you far more props for liking Xenogears, than any other RPG of that era. Back then, Squaresoft still knew how to make REAL games... and didn't just go for "Ooooh look at the shiny graphics!". I loved that game so much, despite how absolutely ugly the in-game (non-FMV) graphics were.
#33MajinGASKAPosted 4/17/2012 9:39:54 PM
TBD2009 posted...
Ah... good ol' OCD, how I hate it so... the one thing that makes me spend two hundred or more hours on a game I've already beaten in well under half that time. I feel your pain.

FFVII was a good game, but I have to give you far more props for liking Xenogears, than any other RPG of that era. Back then, Squaresoft still knew how to make REAL games... and didn't just go for "Ooooh look at the shiny graphics!". I loved that game so much, despite how absolutely ugly the in-game (non-FMV) graphics were.

I added you to my buddy list!! You really get me man, hahaha. I use to say back in the old days games were like good books and now they're more like movies with all these special effects.
---
#34TBD2009Posted 4/17/2012 11:21:52 PM
MajinGASKA posted...
I added you to my buddy list!! You really get me man, hahaha. I use to say back in the old days games were like good books and now they're more like movies with all these special effects.

I didn't see a friend request, so I popped you one myself.

And I agree completely... games didn't rely entirely on pretty pictures and FMV sequences to tell the story... they gave you intelligent, compelling and brilliant stories. Xenogears was absolutely amazing (I have to admit though, I was drawn to it initially because of the opening FMV... which I only got to see, thanks to the demo included with Parasite Eve... another amazing game).

Though, I still enjoy the dark, and cruel nature of FFXIII and FFXIII-2's story. I mean, seriously... the underlying nature of the Fal'Cie, and the "Gods" of this world... it's just horrific and coldly sadistic. That's what really drew me into these games.

...and yet, I still get annoyed with the ending to FFXIII-2... despite the fact that I ~should~ have expected something like that to happen.
#35MajinGASKAPosted 4/18/2012 8:31:41 PM
TBD2009 posted...
MajinGASKA posted...

I didn't see a friend request, so I popped you one myself.

And I agree completely... games didn't rely entirely on pretty pictures and FMV sequences to tell the story... they gave you intelligent, compelling and brilliant stories. Xenogears was absolutely amazing (I have to admit though, I was drawn to it initially because of the opening FMV... which I only got to see, thanks to the demo included with Parasite Eve... another amazing game).

Though, I still enjoy the dark, and cruel nature of FFXIII and FFXIII-2's story. I mean, seriously... the underlying nature of the Fal'Cie, and the "Gods" of this world... it's just horrific and coldly sadistic. That's what really drew me into these games.

...and yet, I still get annoyed with the ending to FFXIII-2... despite the fact that I ~should~ have expected something like that to happen.

I guessed I clicked to follow you here on Gamefaqs. I don't like Xbox much (I know, why am I here right ;). I did like the ending to XIII-2. That was really cool. Did you like the battle system in XII I wonder? I loved it, I'm really looking forward to Xenoblade. I hope you are too. My PSN is GASKA, I hope you have a PS3!! You have excellent taste with Xenogears as well. I love it so much I bought perfect works, a book I can't even read duh. How old are you I wonder?!?
---
#36TBD2009Posted 4/19/2012 1:59:30 AM
MajinGASKA posted...
I guessed I clicked to follow you here on Gamefaqs. I don't like Xbox much (I know, why am I here right ;). I did like the ending to XIII-2. That was really cool. Did you like the battle system in XII I wonder? I loved it, I'm really looking forward to Xenoblade. I hope you are too. My PSN is GASKA, I hope you have a PS3!! You have excellent taste with Xenogears as well. I love it so much I bought perfect works, a book I can't even read duh. How old are you I wonder?!?

Well, that's what I'd meant. It didn't show your name up in Cyan when you posted, so it didn't register your friendship request. Now it does.

I actually haven't played through FFXII. I know, I know... scandalous. But the thing is, I went through a phase of "I don't feel like gaming anymore" after the release of FFIX (in fact, I never beat FFIX). And while I purchased (and still own) all of the games released after IX, I've yet to play any of them. I did play through FFI, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII though. But the first Final Fantasy I picked up, after IX, was XIII. And I didn't play that, until XIII-2 was released, because I was still actively playing Phantasy Star Universe (until I got tired of how Sega was treating us paying customers, and quit after almost four years of playing).

As for a PS3... I don't have one. When the current generation of consoles came out, only one console had the game I wanted the most (Portal) at the time... and that was the Xbox 360. Since then, I've been mostly buying Xbox Arcade games, especially remakes of games from my childhood (mostly Atari 2600 games).

I had heard a lot of good things about Xenoblade... but unless it hits the 360, I'll have to pass on it. I did LOVE Xenogears... but I never bothered playing through the three Xenosaga titles (though, again... I own them, and they sit on my shelf).

As for my age... I don't tend to give that information away. Lets just say, old enough to have played (and still own) Final Fantasy for the NES when it first came out.
#37tiornysPosted 4/19/2012 5:40:15 AM
TBD2009 posted...
As for my age... I don't tend to give that information away. Lets just say, old enough to have played (and still own) Final Fantasy for the NES when it first came out.

High five from another who played FF for the NES when it first came out (or to the US at least)! Sadly, I no longer own my copy.

t~
#38TBD2009Posted 4/19/2012 6:21:12 AM
tiornys posted...
TBD2009 posted...

High five from another who played FF for the NES when it first came out (or to the US at least)! Sadly, I no longer own my copy.

t~

I've not only still got my copy, but I still have an ~intact~ save battery. Sadly, I made a fatal mistake on my game... I never taught ~any~ "exit" spells to my Mages. As if that wasn't bad enough, my levels are insufficient for defeating Chaos. Even worse than this... I foolishly saved IN the Temple of Chaos.

...so I'm screwed on that save file. It's been sitting in it's NES sleeve for more than twenty years, never to be completed... never to show it's "Ending Credits" screen.
#39jdw1005Posted 4/20/2012 3:40:21 AM
Diesel95 posted...
alot of peoples actully lol.

its time move on, let FF XV get here.

Nope just yours, i've seen very few people say this. i would like a xiii-3, it's not often a FF universe is expanded apon.
---
FFXIII-2 ftw - needs more arena enemies, i want ruby weapon.
#40TBD2009Posted 4/20/2012 5:47:34 AM
jdw1005 posted...
Nope just yours, i've seen very few people say this. i would like a xiii-3, it's not often a FF universe is expanded apon.

Not to play "Devil's Advocate" here, but... that ~used~ to be the case. Final Fantasy VII introduced us to the "ZOMG PEOPLE WANT MOAR!" phenomenon, where Square decided to give us "Dirge of Cerberus", "Advent Children" (albeit, this was a "movie", it still "expands" the universe") and "Crisis Core" (not to mention the two mobile games, and "On the way to a smile, Denzel" and two animation OVAs). And, while it surely didn't give much of a story, "Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring" did throw Serphiroth, Tifa, Cloud, Red XIII and others into a pre-Dissidia fighting game. And, holy hell, Kingdom Hearts, for Pete's sake. We'll not even go there. (FFVII, in my opinion, is ~the~ most "over exploited and "expanded" Final Fantasy title universe EVER!").

Also, let's not forget the the obvious; Final Fantasy X and it's direct sequel, X-2.

Oh! And let's not forget the Final Fantasy IV bonus stories in the "After Years" game(s).

...so there has been quite a bit of expansion on universes within the more "popular" Final Fantasy titles... not even going into the fact that, basically, ALL "Final Fantasy" titles have been given a kick-nudge into extra expansion with Dissidia and Dissidia Duodecim, despite them being "fighting games". Though, how much those games deal with the direct canon of the games the characters represent, or how the story actually connects the games those characters came from, with the OTHER "worlds" that other Final Fantasy titles take place in... well, it's still an "expansion". At least's it's more canonical than Aeris and Cloud appearing in Final Fantasy: Tactics.

So... yeah... there's been plenty of "expansion" to other games... which makes me wonder something... why are people bothered about FFXIII-2, and the possibility of FFXIII-3, but NOBODY complained about all the FFVII games that came out? Seriously, I don't get it.

Personally, I want a FFXIII-3, and I still want MORE DLC for FFXIII-2.