Was that the ending? (Spoilers)

#1GilgameshSwordsPosted 6/20/2012 11:34:38 PM
I mean wow, Serah died, and all of history was destroyed. Then a "to be continued" popped up. Pretty sucky.
---
You shouldn't have done that
#2CatMutoPosted 6/21/2012 1:29:43 AM
Yep, that's the canon/normal ending of XIII-2.
The gates close and get rid of any possibility of still changing something in history/future/time. Sera sees all the things they have changed of the timeline and dies because the vision was just that long/big and she doesn't witness the Time Crash, a result from killing Etro/Caius. And Light's a l'Cie-like Crystal.

If you play Lightning's Requiem, you'll learn a little bit what Lightning's crystallized form means and you get an even worse teaser at the end.

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#3GilgameshSwords(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2012 1:40:56 AM
Thank you very much. So I guess we have to wait for XIII-3 since there is no more DLC coming?
---
#4GilgameshSwords(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2012 3:55:39 AM
Now to go see the stuff on the Steppe
---
#5chrcolPosted 6/29/2012 9:15:59 AM
noel says serah not near her death yet, then she dies after one or two more visions. odd?
#6CatMutoPosted 6/30/2012 4:18:52 AM
chrcol posted...
noel says serah not near her death yet, then she dies after one or two more visions. odd?

Well consider what he actually says. She hasn't seen "as much as Yule" but the more often she has visions, the more of her life gets taken. And now think of the ending...

Sera sees all the changes they had caused over the entire timeline so she probably saw a TON of stuff in a very short course of time. That must've been one big zonk of life taken there right off.

C-A
---
A woman always has the last word in an argument. Say something against it, you just started a new argument.
#7j800rPosted 6/30/2012 10:07:44 AM
I agree with the OP. Soooo many people try to defend this or take the "stop whining" attitude but the fact remains the ending of this game cheapened everything. It left you wondering what you had been working towards. What was really achieved? People slate XIII into the ground but at least it had closure. At least it had a beginning, a middle and an end. In fact, the game left such a sense of closure and accomplishment that it really didn't need a sequal. XIII-2 was like a huge kick in the teeth. It was SE saying "Oh. Yeah. You know what? Everything you accomplished in XIII was all for nothing and just made things even worse. Also, we're gonna set you on a task in THIS game that will accomplish even less and mess the world up even more!"

If Serah had never set out on her journey, if the game had never occured she would have lived a long, healthy life. Yes, the world would end eventually but; A) That's nearly a thousand years into the future and B) Nothing lasts forever.

The only one left alive is Noel? The new addition who really has NOTHING to do with the FF XIII world and is basically the "My life is messed up so I'm gonna travel through time and mess up yours too" guy.

I could have handled Serah dying if Lightning's fate hadn't been what it was. Lightning was a strong lead character. In fact, if I may say it, the best lead character in ANY modern FF game if not ever! The first game got you attached to her, the second game teased and tormented you with the bad-ass prologue making you think you were gonna resume with Lightning (hell, even the trailers showed just Lightning) and then the dreams begin crashing down once the prologue ends and you play as her SISTER. I'm sorry, but Serah is NOT lead character material. Hell, she's almost worse than Vaan. Having her as a playable character would have been fine so long as they'd kept Lightning as the lead and not some money sucking DLC machine.

I enjoy the gameplay enough (not as an FF game though) but I've said it before and I'll say it again. XIII-2 was a cash-in. They lost the spirit of what FF is, listened to many of the XIII whiners and started down a path that will truly be the death of FF once and for all. X was pretty good, X-2 was a joke (and the first from SE), XI is not even gonna be mentioned cause FF is NOT an MMO, XII was ok but they still followed the MMO trend. XIII was them FINALLY getting back on track and remembering what Final Fantasy is all about. Not to mention the best damn battle system ever conceived in the history of an FF game! With XIII they fixed what wasn't broken and basically ruined everything they finally got right. The things people WERE complaining about in XIII were only given the illusion of being "fixed". People said XIII was too Linear and didn't have enough choice. XIII was just as Linear with the illusion of choice (Live Triggers which have no consequence, areas from Pulse used right off the bat making people THINK the game was less linear) and STILL the most open and explorable location was the Archylte Steppe just like in the first game. I fact, the Steppe felt LESS epic and vast in XIII-2 than it did in the original. I also am not a huge fan of the whole Pokemon thing. It's just an excuse for not bothering with working on characters and their development. Instead, let's put in tameable monsters with zero personality and even less impact on the actual STORY. FF, as with almost every JRPG is first and foremost about the story and they lost that in XIII-2.

XIII-2 is a fun casual game to play but is the worst Final Fantasy title every conceived, in my opinion.
#8CatMutoPosted 7/1/2012 3:30:53 AM
If Serah had never set out on her journey, if the game had never occured she would have lived a long, healthy life. Yes, the world would end eventually but; A) That's nearly a thousand years into the future and B) Nothing lasts forever.

She would've lived a long healthy life, but she wasn't happy at all.
Granted, she had a home, she had friends and she loved being the teacher for the kids .... but she would constantly be thinking of Lightning, tormenting herself about what her memories regarding the scene below the Crystal Pillar meant. And Snow would probably have remained gone forever - he set out looking for Lightning and who knows if he had ever found back home to AF 03.

I admit I'm surprised everybody was so shocked to hear that the Crystal Pillar eventually collapsed. I mean, Crystal isn't really a very sturdy material and if it falls 500 years after holding up a planet, well, that's to be expected.

C-A
---
#9Darkdragon888Posted 7/1/2012 10:53:53 AM
I was just about to post a topic about this actually. I'm going to counter the guy who said in so many words this game lost everything that made an FF an FF. I've been a veteran Final Fantasy player since the original Final Fantasy. Each had their stories and their moments. They were all different and being different, different players will have their opinions. You should have seen the argument on these boards between FFVII and FFVIII! (For the record, I preferred FFVIII, I'm a sucker for romance and a happy ending.
Now you have to realize the original writer left with FFXII, with it ended the over "feel" of Final Fantasy and relay of story. Simple as that. You want that same feel again? Go play Blue Dragon for the 360, he wrote the story for that and over saw the development. Different yes, but it'll take you back. Now comes Final Fantasy XIII. New development team, new writer and new composer. Being a Final Fantasy the team looked back on the most successful transition in the series:Final Fantasy X. Many can see the similarities, the linearity, story driven and straightforward gameplay. The story was good and the battle system was spot on, but overall it was so bland. When my datalog expands more on the story than the key cut scenes, it makes for a bland run. Then the they announced a sequel. I jumped for joy. A chance for them to expand the fiction and the world and to explore the characters that got left out. Well we got Serah anyway and Noel. Noel, man. I don't know how anyone can fault this character. He started out with 2 1/2 strikes on him and yet he wasn't down in the dumps and did the only course that was open to him, fight for the future. So anyways, they expanded on the world and wrote a new story. The story was rich and entirely open to the player. Freedom to most, means grand theft auto freedom, an open world to explore whenever. Or the open world map of FF of old. That's fine and dandy, but this time around they gave us freedom to the actual story. Which was heavy and extremely esoteric, but open. Who can really say what was the actual ending to that story? NO ONE. Want to know why? Because it was written to be completely open ended. No one to hold your hand, no one to give you a "that's it, done, thanks for playing." The "to be continued" at the end? Freakin' genius. Now you're forced to actually think! "Does this mean a sequel?" "Is Serah and Lightning finished?" "Did we all just waste our time or is their more?" "What about the paradox endings? Were one of those real? Or was then ending of XIII what really happened and this is just a what if?". And that's what people have a problem with. They have to participate and come to their own conclusion and that's all that's wrong with story. Some call it lazy, but who's the actual lazy one? The writer or the player? When I see a player say, "Well this sucks, no conclusion.", I call that lazy. You want a perfect story? Then YOU make one. Which is exactly what the team did with FF XIII-2. If it sucked or not, is entirely up to what the player makes of it.
---
Dang it, killed again.
#10j800rPosted 7/1/2012 4:35:54 PM
Damn dude, ever heard of paragraphs? I may have missed some of what you said but there's no way I'm taking the time to decipher that garbage. The paragraphs don't even need to be properly structured so long as there as some actual breaks in the wall of text. 0.0

You have your opinions and I have mine. In mine XIII-2 was incredibly disappoint and potentially marks the death of the FF series for good. Also, for the record X was the last one Sakaguci(sp?) was involved in. He had nothing to do with XII.

I've played Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and those are great games. Both are leagues ahead of XIII-2 while Lost Odyssey and XIII are kinda on even footing. Sakaguci knew how to right a good, classic JRPG story. He also knew that the story needed an ENDING.

Which leads me on to my final point. This may sound rude dude but the justification you gave the ending sounds like fanboy nonsense to me. We're the lazy ones for not forming our own story?? That goes against everything JRPGs are about! JRPGs are classically an interactive story (FF games are anyway). A story has a beginning, a middle and an end. XIII had that. XIII had closure and was wrapped up nicely. XIII-2 basically took that closure, that happy, content decent ending and spewed it back in your face. It not only made all your hard work in XIII-2 for nothing but also cheapened XIII and everything you went through there.

In XIII they were fighting to make a better world yet XIII-2 basically says they did not succeed in that and in fact made a far worse world and then the ending of XIII-2 says that by trying to fix the messed up world they only made things even worse. The XIII-2 story basically says the people were far better off under Fal'Cie rule.

I'm sorry, but there's no justifying the ending to XIII-2. XIII was great. Wrapped up nicely. It didn't NEED a sequel.