So I Just beat This Game For The First Time...(Possible Spoilers)

#1_TheDoctor_Posted 4/9/2013 7:10:01 AM
And, honestly....as much as I like FF games, I am not a fan of this one. Something jsut felt...off...empty, I guess. Personally, when I had learned that there were only two characters--plus monsters--that were actually in your party, I didn't like it. Part of what I love about FF games is the ensemble of crazy different characters, and this didn't have that. I honestly didn't care for Noel as a character. He kinda' came out of no where and I just hopped along with him. Just felt very empty.

The combat was still awesome as ever, though. I do love the battle system of the FF XIII games. (I personally think that is, in part, why they keep making FFXIII games--cause they don't want to come up with a new battle system.)

Anyway, I realize this board is full of fans. I'm not trying to rip on a game I'm sure most people here like. I'm just stating my opinion, so I hope no one takes offense to it. (Hell, maybe even some people are like me? Despite being FF fans, just weren't wild on this game.) It wasn't a TERRIBLE game, I just had expected more, I guess...
---
"Listen to the words of my silent voice."
I love you, Mom. Rest In Peace...
#2CatMutoPosted 4/9/2013 7:18:59 AM
I sort of agree with you on the monster thing - as soon as a game only has a limited amount of controllable characters in-battle and the rest of your party is filled up with monsters, the game sort of beings to suffer instantly.
XIII-2 did it. Knight of Ratatosk did it, sort of - we do have the Symphonia Cast as optional party members at time, but they are nerfed, they don't obtain any EXP, the highest level they ever attain when joining you is Level 50 and you can't put them into the first slot.

I do like the improvements they made on the battle system - no longer a close-up and individual shot of someone when they switch roles, which annoyed me in XIII at times, I like the little extra details they added to the menu.
For example the large button that is at the left of the ATB Gauge. Personally, I would've preferred a sign of Etro and not a simple triangle, but whatever. It's a nice little detail.

The two controllable characters....
Really, I always thought Sera was an incredibly boring character. She had practically no personality in XIII - understandable, as she was pretty much a tiny decoration for the majority of the game. And XIII-2 didn't really add much personality to her. She just became the girl that fights to find her sister, but has this tragic thing happening to her and... nothing special. She's boring.
I know Lightning is practically a stereotypical no-nonesense-all-serious character type, but somehow she seemed more interesting to me, whether it be XIII or XIII-2 and it's a reason why I am so looking forward to Lightning Returns.
Noel?
Well, he's okay, I suppose.... the typical guy who goes back in time to try to get a better future for other people. And the tragic romantic thing with Yule...

Mostly, I like the ending of the game.
It's sort of a punch in the face for the player, but I find it good and it makes sense. It just showed the futility of everything that you did. I rather like it when the bad guy wins at times.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#3AthlaPosted 4/11/2013 5:46:06 AM
Just finished everything myself an hour ago. Loved most of it but there are a few gripes I suppose.
I think the big one is that the main character isn't lightning. I didn't mind serah, she had her moments for sure but I do think her role was better suited more for what it was in the goddess dlc then for a game of her own. Noel, well he was just kinda there. didn't really feel much for him.
Caius though was a great villan. More for the fact that I wasn't always sure that I wouldn't have done the same thing in his place.
...now if only he'd stop talking like he was in a dramatic play.
---
I wish .HACK//GU was on 360.
#4CatMutoPosted 4/11/2013 10:37:51 AM
Athla posted...
Caius though was a great villan. More for the fact that I wasn't always sure that I wouldn't have done the same thing in his place.

So you're saying that you would've killed yourself and doomed the entire world, just so that one person will be alright? That you'd actually put the suffering over one above the suffering of countless of other people?

I know it's terrible that Yule constantly died because she kept seeing stuff, but I think we learned in XIII-2 that Etro has a f***ing weird sense of humor.

C-A
---
Cloud and Sephiroth - battling each other since '97 for your amusement
Give it a rest already!
#5AthlaPosted 4/11/2013 6:32:48 PM
CatMuto posted...
Athla posted...

So you're saying that you would've killed yourself and doomed the entire world, just so that one person will be alright? That you'd actually put the suffering over one above the suffering of countless of other people?

I know it's terrible that Yule constantly died because she kept seeing stuff, but I think we learned in XIII-2 that Etro has a f***ing weird sense of humor.

C-A

That's love man, that's love.
...ok, probably not. At the very least he's not doing it for the standard "I want power! or Bow down before me!" reasons that most RPG villians have.
But I can see how after living for most of history only to watch someone you care for die over and over again would start making vahalla start to seem like a good idea.
---
I wish .HACK//GU was on 360.
#6lercaraPosted 4/12/2013 8:55:53 PM
Athla posted...
CatMuto posted...
Athla posted...

C-A

That's love man, that's love.
...ok, probably not. At the very least he's not doing it for the standard "I want power! or Bow down before me!" reasons that most RPG villians have.
But I can see how after living for most of history only to watch someone you care for die over and over again would start making vahalla start to seem like a good idea.

Someone say Kneel Down Before Me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJzIVgtyAc
---
Memento mori
#7ZaneKaiPosted 4/28/2013 11:48:47 AM
Talk about limited amount of controllable characters, Lightning Returns only has one! Which I'm VERY VERY VERY disappointed in. At least in FFXIII-2, I could switch between Serah & Noel
Now they just want to turn things into dmc which, again... VERY disappointed since the FFXIII series are supposed to be UNIQUE! It's not supposed to be something it's not! And doing so will ruin not only the experience (since it's a completely different experience) it'll also pretty much ruin the whole game in a way that the fans will create lust for the previous unique FFXIII's; because the new one will too different and horrible due to the way it tries to be something it's not.
---
You shouldn't always believe what other people say.
#8ZaneKaiPosted 4/28/2013 11:56:14 AM
Athla posted...
Noel, well he was just kinda there. didn't really feel much for him.

How could you like the new character Caius but not the new character Noel? Both of them serve a good role in the story! Caius is a guardian of the farseer and those three has shared bonds. Noel was meant to defeat Caius, so I think it was a good idea to make a Noel for the game. Besides, FFXIII wanted a guy main character that's why they had Noel in the timeline fighting against Caius and Serah is simply there to help.

Athla posted...
...now if only he'd stop talking like he was in a dramatic play.

But he IS in a play O.o
---
#9CatMutoPosted 4/28/2013 11:56:32 AM
ZaneKai posted...
Talk about limited amount of controllable characters, Lightning Returns only has one! Which I'm VERY VERY VERY disappointed in. At least in FFXIII-2, I could switch between Serah & Noel
Now they just want to turn things into dmc which, again... VERY disappointed since the FFXIII series are supposed to be UNIQUE! It's not supposed to be something it's not! And doing so will ruin not only the experience (since it's a completely different experience) it'll also pretty much ruin the whole game in a way that the fans will create lust for the previous unique FFXIII's; because the new one will too different and horrible due to the way it tries to be something it's not.

How can you say something will be horrible without even really knowing the end result? (Okay, I did that once, but I try to not do so anymore, as I was proven wrong by my first opinion)
Technically, XIII games were always with single character - there were others, but you only controlled one character. And Sera and Noel were not very good or very different characters to switch between.

And as for creating lust of desire to play XIII, well, XIII-2 did that decently enough for me. I got so bored with Sera, I would rather grind my way through XIII's post-game content than have to deal with her.

And XIII is supposed to be unique?
Every game is supposed to be unique, you know. Certain games have their formulas that they stick to and they do, but overall, they all have parts in it that make them different and "unique" from the other games of the series.

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#10ZaneKaiPosted 4/28/2013 3:25:30 PM(edited)
-_-
You don't get it, do you? I'm not saying the game will be a failure. Most peoole will probably enjoy it. However, I'm just saying it's turning into a hack&slash game and that is NOT where it should be heading! Like SERIOUSLY!! When I buy a Final Fantasy game, I should expect the ganeplay to be like FFXIII (2), NOT an experience like Dynasty Warriors! There's now a weak & strong attack? What kind of FF is this? In fact, it's not even a kind of FF because IT IS NO LONGER A FINAL FANTASY LIKE IT'S PREDECESSORS. I'd MUCH RATHER prefer a gameplay like it's predecessors. The kind of FFXIII & FFXIII-2 was fantastic! So why put an end to it here?

I know that most people will enjoy the game "Lightning Returns". However, that game might put an end to the kind of gameplay like the previous XIII's which I don't want to happen. Square Enix will probably start making Hack&Slash games from now on. That is my fear and that's what makes me sad. We already have (many) hack & slash games in the community, but you can never come across anything as unique as FFXIII & FFXIII-2... and you might not ever again since Square Enix has probably abandoned that gameplay. The proof is there as "Lightning Returns".
---
More topics from this board...
Flanitorspankythesloth47/18 4:30PM