Who is the best Sentinel?

#1ZaneKaiPosted 4/28/2013 4:52:17 AM(edited)
I need to do Med/Com/Sen
But I need the best sentinel that would also be good offensively.
Thanks for any help

Also, another question: Which fights have enemies at maximum HP? I'm guessing it's a whole bunch of "9's" lol but probably only DLC bosses only right? Well which ones?... because I need a decent/long challenge and the ones with extremely high health are the only ones worthy enough to battle against.
---
You shouldn't always believe what other people say.
#2achilleszeroPosted 4/28/2013 5:15:47 AM
ZaneKai posted...
I need to do Med/Com/Sen
But I need the best sentinel that would also be good offensively.
Thanks for any help

Goblin Chieftan

Also, another question: Which fights have enemies at maximum HP? I'm guessing it's a whole bunch of "9's" lol but probably only DLC bosses only right? Well which ones?... because I need a decent/long challenge and the ones with extremely high health are the only ones worthy enough to battle against.

Valfodr 99 = 15.5 million HP
Gilgamesh = 10 million HP (actually 9,999,999)
Valfodr 70 = 8.5 million HP

These 3 also take half physical & magic damage. There are a couple of other DLC fights that will put up a decent challenge while not necessarily having high HP (Jihl, Typhon/Ultros)

Non DLC would be Raspatil at 3.6 million while also halving damage.
---
http://etrosgate.com/ ~~~ The Gameplay Nexus for Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy
#3destrian522Posted 4/28/2013 10:14:04 AM
Is Med/Com/Sen a paradigm or a paradigm pack? If it is a pack, why do you need a Med?
---
Etro's Gate---The gameplay nexus for Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy
http://etrosgate.com/
#4ZaneKai(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 11:30:08 AM
destrian522 posted...
Is Med/Com/Sen a paradigm or a paradigm pack? If it is a pack, why do you need a Med?

Oh no, sorry. I meant to say Med/Rav/Sen.

Paradigm vs paradigm pack? What's the difference?

Well my strategy is that whenever one of my party member's HP is low, I'd need a Med. Then two attackers which I
currently have Med/Rav/Com as Noel/Serah/Lightning
However, I want to replace Lightning not only with a sentinel, but a sentinel who is offensive. The reason being I need a tank that can provoke the enemy so my Noel can properly heal the whole team. And at that, I'm also being offensive with my Serah being Rav and my Sent being a damage taker AND a damage dealer in order to slightly make up for the switched out Lightning (Com)

So is Goblin Chieftain truly the best Sentinel? Can he deal good dmg though? (like strong counters and stuff like that?)
---
#5CatMutoPosted 4/28/2013 11:58:08 AM
ZaneKai posted...
Paradigm vs paradigm pack? What's the difference?

Paradigm is a single form of attack, it's the thing you shift through during battles, depending on the situation.
Paradgim Pack is the three monsters (and their roles) you can assign to your party.

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#6destrian522Posted 4/28/2013 12:38:16 PM
Good offensive Sens don't exist. You either need a Sen for that spot in your pack, or you need an offensive monster. Both never happens, so pick one. Counterattacks are always bad. It doesn't matter what Sen you are using or how it is built.

I don't recommend cutting your Com for a Sen. Either cut your Rav or your Syn. There shouldn't be a Med or a Sab to cut since it isn't worth using monsters with those roles.

Med/Rav/Sen is a pretty poor paradigm. The Rav will have trouble maintaining the chain. It isn't useless, but there should be a pretty specific circumstance in which you are using it. What exactly are you trying to do?
---
#7ZaneKai(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 12:46:49 PM
destrian522 posted...
Good offensive Sens don't exist. You either need a Sen for that spot in your pack, or you need an offensive monster. Both never happens, so pick one. Counterattacks are always bad. It doesn't matter what Sen you are using or how it is built.

I don't recommend cutting your Com for a Sen. Either cut your Rav or your Syn. There shouldn't be a Med or a Sab to cut since it isn't worth using monsters with those roles.

Med/Rav/Sen is a pretty poor paradigm. The Rav will have trouble maintaining the chain. It isn't useless, but there should be a pretty specific circumstance in which you are using it. What exactly are you trying to do?

Heal while trying to deal some damage. If the Sen hits, it would be a physical attack thus adding seconds to the Chain/Stagger Gauge (whatever it's called). So the Rav wouldn't have trouble maintaining the chain. I thought this kind of Paradigm would be useful for semi-bosses. Like say I've taken damage, but I just want to quikly heal for a bit and so I've created this temporary paradigm to quickly heal but then also keep dealing damage. I can't heal if I'm being attacked, so that's where the sent comes in. The sent can add a few seconds to the chain gauge and the rav can keep raising it. This way, the Rav & Sen work together for dmg and the Sent & Med work together for defensive purposes.

Get it?!!
---
#8destrian522Posted 4/28/2013 12:53:33 PM
Why is Serah in Rav if your goal is to deal damage? Commandos are for damage dealing.

You're overestimating the frequency of counterattacks. Have you ever used them? They don't function as effectively as you seem to think they do.

You can definitely heal while being attacked, by the way. If you are only going to spend a round in this, Provoke would help with the chain (unless the Sen was already out). You would not likely get any counterattacks in during that time.
---
#9CatMutoPosted 4/28/2013 2:02:48 PM
Like say I've taken damage, but I just want to quikly heal for a bit and so I've created this temporary paradigm to quickly heal but then also keep dealing damage.

If you really just want to do a quick heal after getting hit, use a Potion while your Leader has the Grimoir Hate equipped. Potions are much faster and they heal pretty well in this game, if you have the Grimoire Hat equipped.
No need to change paradigm for that, either. You could be in RAV/RAV/COM or anything, and potions would be faster than switching, waiting for the SEN to actually get the monster's attention and start to use Vendetta or similar, etc, etc... Potions are faster.

C-A
---
"If sense were common, everyone would have it."
The gamer who isn't afraid of admitting to disliking the so-called Best Games of their Generation
#10ZaneKai(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 2:56:41 PM
CatMuto posted...
Like say I've taken damage, but I just want to quikly heal for a bit and so I've created this temporary paradigm to quickly heal but then also keep dealing damage.

If you really just want to do a quick heal after getting hit, use a Potion while your Leader has the Grimoir Hate equipped. Potions are much faster and they heal pretty well in this game, if you have the Grimoire Hat equipped.
No need to change paradigm for that, either. You could be in RAV/RAV/COM or anything, and potions would be faster than switching, waiting for the SEN to actually get the monster's attention and start to use Vendetta or similar, etc, etc... Potions are faster.

C-A

Thank you! Just what I needed
---