Final Fantasy XIII-2, the entire story (Spoilers from start to finish)

#31HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 5:08:47 AM

LuckNotDoWithIt posted...
"Lightning will be nothing but a plot device yet again?"

Yes. Can you not live with that? The whole story of Lightning comes from the FNC. Unless she gets a lot of character development, its unlikely the haters who return to this series will want Lightning back at all.

They're going to expand on her past through who knows, the Ultimania, Novella, the DLC, probably some comic-book....and the existing story they have in FNC. They really don't care if a million Lightning fanboys are going to be upset. Compared to everyone else, the Lightning fanboys are a minority. Finally, if Lightning is in the background of the story the mission to rescue Fang et. makes perfect sense.

Obviously I'm not a hater of XIII... the fact that they would rather change everything they possibly can about XIII for XIII-2 while still milking the name and former main cast does piss me off.  Also...

-The Ultimanium usually never sees release outside of Japan... so any character development there would be worthless to 66% of the fanbase.

-The novella has already been released... and there is nothing relating to Lightning within it.

-For DLC... it was confirmed that Lightning sacrificed herself during the intro, so expanding on that is out.  It has also been stated that Lightning CAN'T LEAVE VALHALLA for very long due to Caius... so having playable sections with her seems highly unlikely.  On top of this... Toriyama has already stated that the characters can't travel back to a time before Lightning being erased from history due to the fact that that's when the paradoxes first started... so having playable sections with her this way is out of the question and expanding upon her story this way is also out of the question.

-Once again... outside material like comic books usually never see a release date outside of Japan.

For XIII-3... if Serah and Noel are poorly recieved, they'll likely recieve the same treatment Lightning and co. did.  I have no interest in a story that shoves the main cast out the door on a regular basis... especially since this will mean that Lightning will fade even further into the background since the new cast would need time to develop.

#32LuckNotDoWithItPosted 12/24/2011 5:18:44 AM
"It has also been stated that Lightning CAN'T LEAVE VALHALLA"

Of course....and it doesn't matter because its a sidequest. Any DLC related to Lightning will be like the Colloseum, all optional stories. You didn't know? -_-
#33ayalorenPosted 12/24/2011 5:37:03 AM
HippieforLight posted...

ayaloren posted... They never promised that even this game would be an adventure with Lightning. They messed up with having her everywhere, yes, but that's not saying anything of a possible -3 'cause it's not the same game. Your opinion is your opinion. But it's not fact. Stop trying to make it into it.

I never said it was a fact. But honestly... what are the chances that she will become the main protagonist? Zero. What are the chances she'll at least be a main character? Slim... XIII-3 will be a direct sequel to the story of XIII-2, a story that Lightning had little significance in outside of being a plot device. What are the chance she will be an important supporting character? Once again, slim... she had very little to do with the overall events of XIII-2 outside of being the catalyst. This means she will most likely be a Tritagonist, a tertiary character, or maybe even a cameo character. No, this is not fact... and I have never said it was. However, this is being realistic.

Wow. Your description fits Serah's role in XIII. Wasn't she the main in XIII-2? You're trying too much.
#34HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 5:44:10 AM

"It has also been stated that Lightning CAN'T LEAVE VALHALLA"

Of course....and it doesn't matter because its a sidequest. Any DLC related to Lightning will be like the Colloseum, all optional stories. You didn't know? -_-

Yeah... you just repeated what I just said. 

What gets me is that they are willing give her a staring role in anything and everything OUTSIDE of the FNC.  She's on the front cover and prominent in game for Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy, she's on the front cover and prominent in the up coming Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and she is the first already established FF character announced for the up coming Final Fantasy Brigade.  With Final Fantasy XIII-2, they marketed the hell out of her... she's on the front cover of all versions (aka NA, JP, EA) of the game, she takes up 40% of the back cover, she's featured on the front cover of each of the 4 Special Editions, she's featured on the normal soundtrack, she's featured on the special edition soundtrack, she was the main focus of the announcement trailer for XIII-2, she was the main feature (the two and a half minute edited version of the intro) shown during the partnership that Square Enix had with Tobisha to market XIII-2, she's been featured in every single official trailer on the market, she featured on all of the XBL promotions, she has yet another action figure made of her, she was shown on the front cover of Dengeki's 500th issue, she had the, "she must not be forgotten" special artwork, she's had several high quality CGI renders of her released, she's featured on the "PS3 Lightning version 2", she's featured in the exclusive Xbox 360 calender, she was the only character marketed for the first six months, she was still being referred to as a main character even after E3, and she is currently scheduled to have Colessium DLC.  OBVIOUSLY they see here as EXTREMELY profitable and marketable.  But of course, I keep forgetting that giving her further appearances and character development would actually take some time and effort... and Square doesn't actually create characters.  No, they create udders to milk... so there's no point in wasting time and effort on a bunch of udders.   

#35HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 5:46:29 AM

ayaloren posted...
HippieforLight posted...

ayaloren posted... They never promised that even this game would be an adventure with Lightning. They messed up with having her everywhere, yes, but that's not saying anything of a possible -3 'cause it's not the same game. Your opinion is your opinion. But it's not fact. Stop trying to make it into it.

I never said it was a fact. But honestly... what are the chances that she will become the main protagonist? Zero. What are the chances she'll at least be a main character? Slim... XIII-3 will be a direct sequel to the story of XIII-2, a story that Lightning had little significance in outside of being a plot device. What are the chance she will be an important supporting character? Once again, slim... she had very little to do with the overall events of XIII-2 outside of being the catalyst. This means she will most likely be a Tritagonist, a tertiary character, or maybe even a cameo character. No, this is not fact... and I have never said it was. However, this is being realistic.

Wow. Your description fits Serah's role in XIII. Wasn't she the main in XIII-2? You're trying too much.

Serah was supposed to be a main character in Final Fantasy XIII as well... implementation errors lead to her being cut out of the story for the most part and becoming the plot device we know her as today.  Lightning, however, was never planned to have large role in XIII-2 and as such, didn't get one.  So no, not the same thing.

#36LuckNotDoWithItPosted 12/24/2011 5:48:03 AM
"giving her further character development."

There's not enough fans who want anymore of Lightning....that right there is really reaching for it to blame SE. They might find a way to incorporate her through the Novella, but as a character she is stoic, reserved, laxidaisical, lazy there are thousands of flaws to this.
#37MeniphPosted 12/24/2011 5:54:18 AM
Thanks a lot for the summary TC but holy hell that's confusing

BTW, who's fal'Cie Adam? The one that looks like Anima?

And do you know what exactly is Atlas supposed to be?
---
where doing it man
where MAKING THIS HAPEN
#38ayalorenPosted 12/24/2011 5:57:44 AM
HippieforLight posted...

Serah was supposed to be a main character in Final Fantasy XIII as well... implementation errors lead to her being cut out of the story for the most part and becoming the plot device we know her as today. Lightning, however, was never planned to have large role in XIII-2 and as such, didn't get one. So no, not the same thing.

You're right, it's not the same. But it's very similar. I think you're just afraid of being wrong, but you always have to be deadset that the world is a certain way. It's like talking to a wall.
I'm not saying that if XIII-3 happens Lightning will be a big part of it. But SE definitely wants her to be though since they still want to tell a story where she ends up happy. At the moment it's not happening and if it does no one knows what it'll be about. So really, you being so sure that she will barely be there is just... I don't know. You've made up your mind too soon.
#39HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 6:01:18 AM

"giving her further character development."

There's not enough fans who want anymore of Lightning....that right there is really reaching for it to blame SE. They might find a way to incorporate her through the Novella, but as a character she is stoic, reserved, laxidaisical, lazy there are thousands of flaws to this.

Famitsu Polls in Japan and Xbox 360 users (they made up about 30% of sales, so they do count) say you're wrong.  Do you even understand the basics of marketing?  Why would they market Lightning so heavily if nobody wanted her?  Why would they continue to place her in spin off Final Fantasy titles if nobody wanted her?  Why would they put her on the front cover of every game that she is the least bit related to if no one liked her?  Square isn't completely incompetent... so please try using some common sense next time.

#40LuckNotDoWithItPosted 12/24/2011 6:05:16 AM(edited)
After reading the Analects, I'm convinced HoL is right. They seem to make no effort to hide the fact Lightning will be less integral. It is very clear that unless the fanbase decides "Gee, Lightning was so interesting" then there will be a fairly low chance of Lightning being a main protagonist in FF13-3.......Duly noted now, due to the poorly rushed Novella Episode 0.

If and as FF13-3 details emerge....don't count on Lightning taking a starring role.