Final Fantasy XIII-2, the entire story (Spoilers from start to finish)

#41ayalorenPosted 12/24/2011 6:12:15 AM
LuckNotDoWithIt posted...
After reading the Analects, I'm convinced HoL is right. They seem to make no effort to hide the fact Lightning will be less integral. It is very clear that unless the fanbase decides "Gee, Lightning was so interesting" then there will be a fairly low chance of Lightning being a main protagonist in FF13-3.......Duly noted now, due to the poorly rushed Novella Episode 0.

If and as FF13-3 details emerge....don't count on Lightning taking a starring role.

But Lightning is interesting... Especially in Japan. Your ignorance makes your statement invalid. Might not be wrong, but from you it doesn't matter since you have no clue what you're talking about.
#42LuckNotDoWithItPosted 12/24/2011 6:16:46 AM(edited)
Again, the feedback for the Birthday Party Episode (Episode 0, Episode/ia 1) was extremely mixed. I don't think Square expected that.

The Birthday Novella was supposed to get basically everyone to understand and share Lightning's concerns as well as connect to the character. It was unexpectedly received with much indifference. I think that was Square's playing card. They now figure she makes a good marketing ploy with the swords & hair dye, but clearly don't expect her to star.
#43HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 6:18:25 AM

ayaloren posted...
HippieforLight posted...

Serah was supposed to be a main character in Final Fantasy XIII as well... implementation errors lead to her being cut out of the story for the most part and becoming the plot device we know her as today. Lightning, however, was never planned to have large role in XIII-2 and as such, didn't get one. So no, not the same thing.

You're right, it's not the same. But it's very similar. I think you're just afraid of being wrong, but you always have to be deadset that the world is a certain way. It's like talking to a wall.
I'm not saying that if XIII-3 happens Lightning will be a big part of it. But SE definitely wants her to be though since they still want to tell a story where she ends up happy. At the moment it's not happening and if it does no one knows what it'll be about. So really, you being so sure that she will barely be there is just... I don't know. You've made up your mind too soon.

You have no idea how happy I would be if I found out I was wrong about this... I WANT TO BE WRONG ABOUT THIS!  However, I'm not about to get my hopes up like I did for XIII-2 because, "Surely they'll put Lightning in for the final game of the trilogy!"

Talking to a wall?  How do you think I feel?  First people told me, "stop overreacting you troll, Lightning will definately get several playable parts and will most likely be available post game".  After it became apparent that this was not going to happen, I was told, "So what, troll?  She'll still get several playable sections".  After it became apparent that even THIS was not gonna happen, I was then told, "We expected this to happen... stop hating on the game, troll."  No matter what I do, I'm a troll... I'm a troll for actually trusting SE to properly represent the game, I'm a troll for getting frustrated after E3 when it turned out they pulled a fast one on me, I'm a troll for getting more and more irritated as time went on and Lightning was revealed to have less and less of a role, and I'm a troll now for even mentioning it since, "It doesn't matter". 

Toriyama said that XIII-2 was gonna make Lightning happy... yeah, so much for that.  He also said he wanted to refine the noble qualities of her personality and to explore the more mysterious aspects of her characters.  This didn't happen either.  So, either Toriyama changed his mind or he doesn't have as much creative control as we think he does.  Anyway, there's no garuantee that this aspect of the story will ever come to light since Toriyama is no longer the writer for XIII (only Watanabe was listed as a writer for XIII-2) anyway, Kitase is still the producer (so he gets the final say so), and XIII-3 will most likely have a short schedule and a tight budget to work with once again.  There is also the fact that LIGHTNING IS A FREAKING STONE STATUE IN VALHALLA at the moment.  Unless they pull the Dues Ex Machina to end all Deus Ex Machina's... she won't be the protagonist and she won't be a main character until they free her (and that's only if they do that half way through and not at the end). 

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong... but being pessemistic is SO much better than being optomistic and then having those hopes shattered once again.  If I'm pessemistic... then when I'm wrong, it will be a very pleasant surprise.  If I happen to be right... no harm done, I was already expecting it.  Square mislead me once... they aren't gonna do it again.

#44ayalorenPosted 12/24/2011 6:20:26 AM
Again, the feedback for the Birthday Party Episode (Episode 0, Episode/ia 1) was extremely mixed. I don't think Square expected that.

The Birthday Novella was supposed to get basically everyone to understand and share Lightning's concerns as well as connect to the character. It was unexpectedly received with much indifference. I think that was Square's playing card. They now figure she makes a good marketing ploy with the swords & hair dye, but clearly don't expect her to star.

And feedback from the game shows that a lot of people like her. And I'll take what I get. Lightning or no Lightning. There is nothing pointing either way, or rather there are things pointing both ways.
#45HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 6:21:29 AM

Uh... could you cite a source on this?  Anyway, once again, if Square though people didn't want more Lightning... they wouldn't keep announcing more and more games that will feature her in some way.

#46soulabcPosted 12/24/2011 6:22:32 AM
Have you actually read the novels? Lightning is not the main character of both novels.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII_Episode_Zero_-Promise-

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII_-Episode_i-
#47HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 6:24:37 AM

soulabc posted...
Have you actually read the novels? Lightning is not the main character of both novels.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII_Episode_Zero_-Promise-

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII_-Episode_i-

Right... she's only present in two chapters.

#48ayalorenPosted 12/24/2011 6:26:23 AM
HippieForLight,

The pessimism is my way of going through life and I agree with all that. But I won't expect anything this soon about a game that may or may not happen.
I get that you're disappointed, I am too. I've never called anyone a troll since I don't like the term, but I don't think you qualify.
#49LuckNotDoWithItPosted 12/24/2011 6:38:25 AM
"source for this?"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-4029-E3-2011--Kitase-and-Toriyama-Give-Us-The-Lowdown-on-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2.html
http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/77943/35728536/1/

And Amazon, 2ch...
Lightning will be lucky if she appears in Versus.
#50soulabcPosted 12/24/2011 6:44:56 AM
"source for this?"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-4029-E3-2011--Kitase-and-Toriyama-Give-Us-The-Lowdown-on-Final-Fantasy-XIII-2.html
http://forum.fanfiction.net/topic/77943/35728536/1/

And Amazon, 2ch...
Lightning will be lucky if she appears in Versus.

Dude, are you a troll? That fanfiction site is filled with lightning fans, and no where in that interview did they say that people hate lightning. And look at the date of that interview, they are still marketing the game heavily on lightning at that point.