Final Fantasy XIII-2, the entire story (Spoilers from start to finish)

#61Lelouch71Posted 12/24/2011 11:04:27 AM
Thanks for putting the time into posting this TC. It helps to clear up a few things while confirming a few things that I've been saying months regarding Lightning's role. I honestly don't know how but this game actually made me more interested in the FFXIII universe and mythology than the original ever did. Even the original cast seems more interesting in this game than the previous.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#62JL Lee(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 11:11:25 AM
TeddieSage posted...
Hitagi posted...
Still, it makes me wonder, why did it take so long for Caius to stab himself? He didn't need to battle Lightning as he basically had an instant win card up his sleeve the entire time. Unless he didn't know that he would be revived? I don't know, this part of the plot seems pretty messy to me.

Just bad writing, I take it. It kinda feels like this time loop make the whole FF13-2 experience pointless, since all Caius does is stabbing himself in the heart over and over again, no matter what you do. Noel and Serah are stuck in a time loop and there's nothing we can do right now but wait for FF13-2's expansion or sequel...

There is no time loop. By the end of the game time ceases to exist. What you get to do post-game is actually reliving the memories that had happened stored within Crystals. Effectively, with the Game-changing power of Grand Cross, you get to see What If? endings, but nothing else changes the fact that the original ending remains the same.
---
[Jewelled Bell] goes *Jingle, Jangle*!
Currently playing: Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX (PSP), Idolmaster 2 (PS3), Final Fantasy 13-2 (PS3)
#63JL Lee(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2011 11:16:46 AM
Also, I am pretty sure that Caius cannot kill himself, whether willingly or unwillingly. Thus he had to wait till Noel was strong enough to challenge him and "kill" him. But because of Noel's kind heart and unwillingness to kill anyone (naturally, since he treasures life above all else, given his circumstances), he became the perfect vessel to enact Caius plan.

Letting Noel defeat him, but at the same time not taking over the mantle of Protector, so that the Chaos Heart cannot be passed to the next person. This, plus being stabbed right through the heart, forces the elimination of Etro from the equation and opens the Gates of Valhalla.

Why he is still alive is still beyond my current understanding though. Most likely the Ultimania will throw up some answers.
---
Currently playing: Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX (PSP), Idolmaster 2 (PS3), Final Fantasy 13-2 (PS3)
#64DullahanEXPosted 12/24/2011 11:48:04 AM(edited)
That was a awesome post JL Lee, clears up a fews things for me (such as how Hope could be alive 400 years in the future). FFXIII-2 seems adheres to the FNC mythos much strongly than FFXIII did, making the plot work better.
---
Currently Playing: FF Type-0 (JPN)
#65TeddieSagePosted 12/24/2011 11:18:57 AM
There are still a bunch of stuff that confuse me but I guess I'll just have to play this game for myself and see if I change my opinion about the plot.
#66MagiusNecrosPosted 12/24/2011 11:20:53 AM
Any information on Omega?
---
GILGAMESH ARMY accepting RECRUITS! PM for more details!
Official GILGAMESH and BARBATOS of every Gamefaqs Board
#67Lelouch71Posted 12/24/2011 11:26:46 AM
JL Lee posted...
There is no time loop. By the end of the game time ceases to exist. What you get to do post-game is actually reliving the memories that had happened stored within Crystals. Effectively, with the Game-changing power of Grand Cross, you get to see What If? endings, but nothing else changes the fact that the original ending remains the same.

I'm glad you cleared this point up because it was getting annoying having people spout that as the truth without playing and understanding the game.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#68MagiusNecrosPosted 12/24/2011 11:29:37 AM
I want to know how Caius lived if he killed off his life support.
---
GILGAMESH ARMY accepting RECRUITS! PM for more details!
Official GILGAMESH and BARBATOS of every Gamefaqs Board
#69HippieforLightPosted 12/24/2011 11:30:02 AM

JL Lee posted...
TeddieSage posted...
Hitagi posted...
Still, it makes me wonder, why did it take so long for Caius to stab himself? He didn't need to battle Lightning as he basically had an instant win card up his sleeve the entire time. Unless he didn't know that he would be revived? I don't know, this part of the plot seems pretty messy to me.

Just bad writing, I take it. It kinda feels like this time loop make the whole FF13-2 experience pointless, since all Caius does is stabbing himself in the heart over and over again, no matter what you do. Noel and Serah are stuck in a time loop and there's nothing we can do right now but wait for FF13-2's expansion or sequel...

---

If Lightning dies at the end of the 15 minute intro... who was it that came through the time paradox to talk to Serah and Noel?

#70Devilman_AmonPosted 12/24/2011 11:35:03 AM
JL Lee posted...
TeddieSage posted...
Hitagi posted...

This was the part that pissed me off watching the streams because apparently it didn't seem like this was explained right away so the players had this false sens of hope that by unlocking everything they could get a better ending.
Especially with those three unlocked nodes to the far left (which turn out to be set aside for DLC). Only to be trolled by Caius sitting on his throne in that secret ending.

I remember at the time people were saying its a time loop. At first I did too but then I realized it wasn't. Either way it all just makes these events seem worthless and the game a filler story for the next possible game (if they decide to even do it now with the sales).

Been also reading the translated script on livejournal. The story just doesnt seem well put together imo. Makese Serah & Noel seem like idiots...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)