Has anyone encounted a Metal Gigantuar (giant metal cactuar)?

#21jmeyer2039Posted 2/12/2012 9:36:36 AM
Nami_hana posted...
I have. I managed to damaged it enough but then 10,000 needles killed my party u_u

So, then, you...didn't manage to damage it enough...
#22BlueDragmirePosted 2/12/2012 9:37:47 AM
I found him in the Archy Steppe towards the bottom of the map. Right by that big dividing trench in the middle that you can't jump over.

He slaughtered me.
---
The official monarch of every single board.
#23XovianPosted 2/12/2012 9:39:39 AM
I actually tend to find him more just on the side outside of that trench.
Once you can jump across / choco across that is.
Go down the edge of the trench on the marsh side, close to where the mountain edge is, he seems to show up there consistently, or at least he has for me.
#24TaengtheHeroPosted 2/14/2012 8:31:53 AM
If you know Serah's Ultima Arrow, then the battle is simple after that.
I just fought two in a row. The first one kicked my rear end, but i squeaked out a win.
I lvled up Serah in COM, learned the move. Fought the next one.
Ultima Arrow took off 70-75% of it's HP
---
I Will be grossly overpaid to do something i would probably do for free.-Mercenaries.
#25zeroxkiller535Posted 2/14/2012 8:34:56 AM

I encountered one in the sunny weather

#26wDxBlackBladePosted 2/14/2012 8:38:34 AM
Just to let everyone know that you cant catch the metal gigantaur as far as I am aware, well according to the beastiary section of the guide he cant be caught. Hes basically there for the fragement that requires you to fight all monsters in the game so a rare monster id assume.
---
"Men are not prisoners of fate but only prisoners of their own minds" Franklin D. Roosevelt
#27NohopelessPosted 2/14/2012 8:50:45 AM
wDxBlackBlade posted...
Just to let everyone know that you cant catch the metal gigantaur as far as I am aware, well according to the beastiary section of the guide he cant be caught. Hes basically there for the fragement that requires you to fight all monsters in the game so a rare monster id assume.

Metal gigantaur can be tamed.
#28CallMeBanjoPosted 2/16/2012 5:40:59 AM
Metal Gigantuar (or Metalligantuar, once recruited) can be found in the trench that divides the Clearwater Marshes from the rest of the Archylte Steppe in sunny weather. I don't know if he appears in other weather conditions, but that's where I found him.

He is a distortion monster, which means that he's not only very hard to encounter, but very difficult to beat. I wouldn't even bother looking for him unless you have the Battlemania fragment skill, which you obtain from the Mystic in Serendipity after you've shown the lady in Academia 400 AF all of your completed maps.

As for strategy, I've heard lots of stories about how devastating 10,000 Needles can be, and when I faced him I was strong enough to where his count only got to 6, so it was never used on me. That being said, I would just wait to face him until you have a VERY strong party - that is, late post-game. I just used Cerberus (three Commandos) and killed him with brute strength.

He CAN be obtained as a monster crystal. I also believe he has an abysmally low drop rate, I had to fight him at least 25 times before he dropped his crystal, and that was WITH the Monster Hunter fragment skill active.

He's a Sentinel with some interesting passive abilities. I leveled mine up to the maximum with nothing but potent materials and here is his information:

Metalligantuar: Sentinel
Strength: 1095
Magic: 420
Level 70
HP: 5644
Late Bloomer
Strong
Huge

Abilites:
Daze (Feral Link ability)
Provoke
Challenge
Vendetta
Entrench
Steelguard
Element Guard
Deathward

Passive Abilities List
Immovable 2: Moderately reduces chance to have actions interrupted by enemy attacks. (This cannot be infused.)
Pressure 2: Moderately increases chance to interrupt enemy actions when attacking. (This also can't be infused.)
Kill: Libra: Reveals a piece of information about each defeated enemy.
Magic: +25%: Self-explanatory.
Strength +25%
Hindrance: Reduces physical damage dealt to enemies.
Kill: ATB Charge: Restores a small amount of the ATB gauge each time an enemy is defeated.

He gets three Crystarium expansions, I got him his two role bonuses and one ATB expansion. Ultimately, I would give this monster a miss for many reasons: His passive abilities are useful, but not so much on a Sentinel. He's also got VERY low HP for a Sentinel, about half of what the Bunkerbeast can have. He was also very expensive to max out, taking well over 100 Potent Crystals. On top of all that, as I covered before; he's VERY difficult to beat unless you've got an OP party (mine had a maxed-out Crystarium and their "ultimate" weapons.)