What's wrong with a DLC ending?

#1Chickity_ChinaPosted 2/9/2012 2:57:07 PM
Ok, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I know having to pay extra for a DLC ending (if they're gonna go that route and not make XIII-3), feels like a ripoff, but I can't grasp why.

One of the biggest problems people have is that the story isn't complete. Technically though, aren't all games that have sequels incomplete stories on their own? When people finished ME2 for example and saw it's cliffhanger ending, how come they didn't complain that they didn't get a full game?

To me, it seems logical to believe that regardless of what companies choose to do, be it a full-fledged sequel, or DLC ending, consumers are still gonna have to pay more if they want to get the complete story.

Personally, I'd prefer waiting a few months and paying a lot less for a DLC ending than waiting 2 years and paying full price from a third installment.
#2MasterInfernoPosted 2/9/2012 2:59:09 PM
My guess is that there will be a full XIII-3 to wrap up the main story, and the DLC will consist of other plot threads going at the same time as XIII-2's main game, like I think a chapter where you play as Lightning has been confirmed.
---
...there were squirrels everywhere...
#3SlimeStackPosted 2/9/2012 3:02:40 PM
People only think it's incomplete because it says "To be continued..." at the end. If it didn't say that, people who don't like the ending still wouldn't like it, but they wouldn't say it's incomplete. FF fans only ever evaluate at face value.

It felt like a complete game to me. It's just a complete game that confirms a sequel in either DLC or disc form.
---
PSN: Slime_Stack
#4Zell1226Posted 2/9/2012 3:03:52 PM
XIII-3 would be an unwanted sequel.

Seriously, I love XIII and XIII-2, but pushing for a third is too much. They should have ended it.
---
www.youtube.com/user/ZellDincht1226 - Gameplay videos!
i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz | 8 GB DDR3 @ 800 MHz | GTX 560
#5AnimesetsunaPosted 2/9/2012 3:05:06 PM
No XIII-3 in the future...
---
Hanazawa Kana, I don't mind about you past, you are still my ... "but she will definitely hate me if I say that". (dekirukana@joqr.net)
#6carcypherPosted 2/9/2012 3:05:37 PM
Everything!
Not everyone even has access to Internet, or even downloads DLC alot,
I'm one of those people
---
Someday, someone will walk into your life and make you realize why it never worked out with anyone else. -anonymous
#7Raven236Posted 2/9/2012 3:06:09 PM
Animesetsuna posted...
No XIII-3 in the future...

Agreed.
---
PSN ID: Raven236 / N3DS FC: 1590-4697-4287
SSFIV Main: Sakura
#8goofydude1186Posted 2/9/2012 3:06:30 PM
Chickity_China posted...
Ok, I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. I know having to pay extra for a DLC ending (if they're gonna go that route and not make XIII-3), feels like a ripoff, but I can't grasp why.

One of the biggest problems people have is that the story isn't complete. Technically though, aren't all games that have sequels incomplete stories on their own? When people finished ME2 for example and saw it's cliffhanger ending, how come they didn't complain that they didn't get a full game?

To me, it seems logical to believe that regardless of what companies choose to do, be it a full-fledged sequel, or DLC ending, consumers are still gonna have to pay more if they want to get the complete story.

Personally, I'd prefer waiting a few months and paying a lot less for a DLC ending than waiting 2 years and paying full price from a third installment.

It's about putting in the extra effort which square obviously lacks. Hence the dlc ending.
#9ayalorenPosted 2/9/2012 3:06:31 PM
Plotholes and forgotten character arcs and introducing a whole new plot during the ending. And they'll only release a dlc to conclude it?
#10AquatrezPosted 2/9/2012 3:07:49 PM
A DLC ending is problematic because it shows that they intended to milk us for money. They would have cut out a feature of the game for NO OTHER REASON than to charge consumers more money. That is not okay.

Now I'm fine with cliffhanger endings setting up a sequel. I'll have no issue if they resolve things in XIII-3 (although I still think it would've worked better if they saved the very end of XIII-2 for the secret ending so it wasn't so in-your-face cliffhangery). At least then we'll be paying for a complete game that is more than JUST the ending.