Metallicactuar - A largely overlooked commando?

#1yc11374Posted 3/19/2012 6:44:18 AM
I just want to share a nice commando that many people often missed.
Metallicactuar - Dying World (700 AF)
Commando / tame rate = 5% / MAX LV = 45

IMO, it's probably the 2nd or 3rd best commando in game, after Chichu or Golden chocobo. The reason is MIND PIERCER ability. It's same as armor breaker. These abilities are critical for a commando, especially when facing Raspatil and Yomi. Metallicactuar has pretty high MAG. I leveled him with ALL Mag materials, and infused him with MAG35%, and other commando passive abilities (Siphon Boost II, ATK ATB Charge II, Role Resonance, Resist Mag/Physical, etc). At level 45, Metallicactuar has ~ 1300 mag, ~ 7000HP. And, he has a pretty fast casting speed (ruin), comparing to Seeping Brie Flan. So I prefer him over the Seeping Brie, plus Cactuar is cute! Anyway, I just want to point out that ruin can attack launched and flying enemies. I found it very useful against Yomi and the DLC battles. Although Chichu is great, he has a poor ruin attack. With this build, Metallicactuar can be a very strong commando that casts non-stop ruin. I mean Chichu is still a little faster than Metallicactuar, and Golden chocobo can use Pack mentality and stagger drain. So they all have different strengths. The other commando that don't have armor breaker or mind piercer can be frustrating when facing enemies with Half/Resistant attack or magic attack.
#2ArthellinusPosted 3/19/2012 7:32:15 AM
Not really overlooked, just not commonly used because he's expensive to grow and is the only source of Auto-Faith in the game (so people tend to just farm him).

Also, he's nothing special against Yomi, as Yomi does not actually resist damage, only elements.
#3yc11374(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2012 8:18:27 AM
I guess if you want to infuse other monster with Auto-Faith, then you have to give him up. That could be a problem. I am at a point that I finish building most of useful monsters. The game should allow you to capture a 2nd identical monster if you have level up the 1st one.
#4GavvinPosted 3/19/2012 9:42:28 AM
yc11374 posted...
I guess if you want to infuse other monster with Auto-Faith, then you have to give him up. That could be a problem. I am at a point that I finish building most of useful monsters. The game should allow you to capture a 2nd identical monster if you have level up the 1st one.

Separate save files are the answer.