I know the problem with Toriyama (not a joke topic)

#31ShiningBladerPosted 4/12/2012 3:17:22 PM
xSaranghaeYoDx posted...
I knew Toriyama-sama was a genius! That's why I support him! ;) he's a guy with massive amounts of good ideas, he just can't string them together that well.

And ends up wasting potential that could have made the game 3x better if done by other person.

Incompetent director is incompetent
---
FF XIII-2 Hype Meter: 2600%
Aqua's Ultimate Levelling spot: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/58514176
#32icygate777Posted 4/12/2012 3:19:47 PM
I feel like I'm one of the last people left who like the ending.

Most of you would still complain had they not included the major plot twist. Had they not included that, Serah and everyone would have gone back to regular lives and lived in this new world. Snow and Serah would have gotten married among other things, it would have been too happy an ending. The plot twist was essentially bound to happen.

My problem with it is the fact that everything is poorly explained. Toriyama should have gone more in depth as to the mechanics of their Time Travel and how Valhalla, Etro, Yeul and Caius function when it comes to the ending and perhaps to the time travel in general. Had that been explained better this game would probably live out its potential and few people would have anything to complain about.
---
"Mankind can do anything with the right amount of liquor..."
#33TrueBURPPosted 4/12/2012 3:20:25 PM
Honestly, if you want a game with lots of subtext and subletly, you should play Journey. It's just 15 bucks on the PS Store, well worth your while trying. That's a game that really expects the player to get what 's happening with minimum storytelling, and do it amazingly well. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus could be other good examples too. After that you can come back and think again of Toryiama's problems. They are of another type entirely. Though I do admit I like some of his ideas and techniques - both the games are very good at character development, for instance. Vanille is a great example at that: if at first sight she is just another of those annoying cheesy girls every FF game have to please their jailbaiters audience (just think of Penelo, Rikku, Selphie, Yuffie...), as you progress througout the game you get to see she actually have a lot of deepness and internal conflicts, and some kind of reason to act the way she does. But at designing his plots he is still very faulty, recurring too much to deus ex machinas (some of them quite literal) to solve problems and dead ends, in a way that gets really frustrating at times (like the whole l'Cie curse or the paradox effects...).
---
SCREAM POETRY...
#34theofficefan99Posted 4/12/2012 3:22:04 PM
The plot was really horrible but I loved the finale and ending.
---
Anticipating: Phantasy Star Online 2, FF Versus XIII, FF Type-0, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy XV
#35Chaos-StrikerPosted 4/12/2012 3:44:52 PM

icygate777 posted...
I feel like I'm one of the last people left who like the ending.

Most of you would still complain had they not included the major plot twist. Had they not included that, Serah and everyone would have gone back to regular lives and lived in this new world. Snow and Serah would have gotten married among other things, it would have been too happy an ending. The plot twist was essentially bound to happen.

My problem with it is the fact that everything is poorly explained. Toriyama should have gone more in depth as to the mechanics of their Time Travel and how Valhalla, Etro, Yeul and Caius function when it comes to the ending and perhaps to the time travel in general. Had that been explained better this game would probably live out its potential and few people would have anything to complain about.
---
"Mankind can do anything with the right amount of liquor..."

The ending was good as a plot twist but not as an ending, I didn't like it. Who says they couldn't put both the plot twist AND the happy-ish ending in the game? I mean, come on, I was really looking forward to a solid closing/fix to FFXIII, especially Serah and Snow's wedding.

#36dudupupuPosted 4/12/2012 4:28:40 PM
I loathe when people confuse "OMG a terrible ending!" with "sad or tragic."

The game was depressing throughout; it is only fitting the finale retain this quality. It was "complete" in that it clearly explained the game's events introduced up until that point. There has to be SOMETHING left unexplained when a direct sequel is planned, or else you just end up with an episodic afternoon cartoon where a neverending series of bad things happen to the main cast for no apparent reason.

Great game. One of the only good games through and through I've played for the longest.
---
One does not just grow facial hair, no. You must wait and hope that the facial hair accepts you as a man and merges with your face. ~FridgeBeard
#37tempest_storm34Posted 4/12/2012 4:35:17 PM
Question: What reasons are given for Hope being the leader of the entire government? What qualities does he have that others don't?
---
Oh child, perish the thought. I am more than that!
#38locke72Posted 4/12/2012 4:35:30 PM
dudupupu posted...
I loathe when people confuse "OMG a terrible ending!" with "sad or tragic."

The game was depressing throughout; it is only fitting the finale retain this quality. It was "complete" in that it clearly explained the game's events introduced up until that point. There has to be SOMETHING left unexplained when a direct sequel is planned, or else you just end up with an episodic afternoon cartoon where a neverending series of bad things happen to the main cast for no apparent reason.

Great game. One of the only good games through and through I've played for the longest.

I thought I made my reason fo it being bad in another post pretty clear but I'll try again. This is less the ending of FF13-2 and more the promo for FF13-3. They made us play all the way through a game to watch the promo for their next one.
---
I prefer the term treasure hunter.
#39Chickity_China(Topic Creator)Posted 4/12/2012 5:11:30 PM
tempest_storm34 posted...
Question: What reasons are given for Hope being the leader of the entire government? What qualities does he have that others don't?

Cuz he's Einstein with leadership skills.
---
Words of wisdom: "Use your brains before you think." - HippieforLight/DantexLight
#40DemonPathRevyaPosted 4/12/2012 5:36:28 PM
Fanboy!!! *reads your last sentence* Oh.... never mind I take it back.