Orphans vs Non-Orphans in FF games; which are better?

#1darkphoenix181Posted 4/20/2012 10:30:05 AM
So, as you might notice, in alot of FFs the main characters are Orphans. This makes it easier to write the story as alot of times it makes no sense for young characters to run around fighting monsters and other stuff when they have a loving home with parents waiting for them. But this is not always the case in FF. So my question is do you prefer the orphan storyline or the ones where the parents are still around.

Examples of Characters who weren't orphans:
Cloud
Hope
Tidus (technically not an Orphan though his dad left when he was about 7)

Examples of Orphans:
Cecil Harvey
Terra Branford
Yuna
Lightning
Serah
Squall
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#2ColonelGuilePosted 4/20/2012 10:41:38 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
So, as you might notice, in alot of FFs the main characters are Orphans. This makes it easier to write the story as alot of times it makes no sense for young characters to run around fighting monsters and other stuff when they have a loving home with parents waiting for them. But this is not always the case in FF. So my question is do you prefer the orphan storyline or the ones where the parents are still around.

I still like how they did Chrono Trigger with Crono's mom...

He didn't tell her anything and would bring back strange friends to meet her lol

...IMO it was done excellently - but regarding the topic, both types don't bother me (maybe with the parents are ok) as parents are mostly in the background anyway and don't get involved
#3rumblingrosePosted 4/20/2012 10:42:50 AM
Cloud was an orphan by the time the game started.
---
Monk - "What's the opposite of Batman?" Sharona - "You are."
http://suicidegirls.com/members/LimitedMoon/
#4darkphoenix181(Topic Creator)Posted 4/20/2012 10:47:26 AM(edited)
rumblingrose posted...
Cloud was an orphan by the time the game started.

Depends on the definition of orphan you are using. He was almost a man when his mother died per American culture and by other cultures he was indeed already a man.
Then considering the games own culture, Cloud had already left home and joined the army so to speak.
---
Megaman Legends 3 :( NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#5rumblingrosePosted 4/20/2012 10:50:27 AM
darkphoenix181 posted...
Depends on the definition of orphan you are using. He was almost a man when his mother died per American culture and by other cultures he was indeed already a man.

Well, he was 16 when she died. I suppose it does depend on your definition. You did mention them having a loving home with parents to go back to, though, and Cloud certainly didn't. Well, neither did Tidus, for obvious reasons!
---
Monk - "What's the opposite of Batman?" Sharona - "You are."
http://suicidegirls.com/members/LimitedMoon/
#6ArmaLeyvatenPosted 4/20/2012 11:51:58 AM
I would argue that Yuna wasn't "entirely" an orphan, but considering we never really found out a whole lot about her mother and her father dying 10 years before the events of the story happening it's not much of a stretch to label her as such.
#7MaurithPosted 4/20/2012 11:59:41 AM
If Zidane is an orphan, orphans.

Although I came into this topic expecting it to be bashing a certain FFVIII scene :P
---
IX>VII>X>VIII>VI>XIII>V>XII>XIII-2>X-2>IV>I>II
Arcanine, Floatzel, Reshiram, Sawsbuck, Dragonite, Samurott; Rumble [LoL]
#8locke72Posted 4/20/2012 11:59:46 AM
ArmaLeyvaten posted...
I would argue that Yuna wasn't "entirely" an orphan, but considering we never really found out a whole lot about her mother and her father dying 10 years before the events of the story happening it's not much of a stretch to label her as such.

Yuna's mother died before Braska did. Killed by Sin. Its why he became a summoner in the first place. You could find that information out playing the game normally talking to Rin, although it wasn't thrust at you.
---
I prefer the term treasure hunter.
#9Lelouch71Posted 4/20/2012 12:17:25 PM
Cloud was an orphan. He lost his mother at 16. I dunno about you but I consider 16 years old as kids. You could technically say Hope is an orphan since both his parents are dead even though he's a grown man now. Tidus was also an orphan since he didn't have anyone besides Auron to look after him.
---
"Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
#10Jecths_FaythPosted 4/20/2012 12:26:11 PM
i prefer orphans. toughens the character up, imo.
---
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws.