Is there anyone out there like myself who thinks FF13/13-2 is far superior to...

#1xIcYuNvMExPosted 9/15/2012 6:11:18 PM(edited)
FF6/7/8/9. (No, I am not trolling.) I recently just updated myself on all the news on Lightning returns and I'd scroll down to read the comments and it's just full of people saying that FF13 is complete crap and they should move on. I seriously in no way even understand how people think the older FF games even compare to the latest one. Now, I will admit I played all 4 of those final fantasies previously mentioned AFTER I played FF13/13-2. And the only one that even comes close is probably FF9 IMO. Are these people just blinded by nostalgia or are they just trolling? Tell me your thoughts.

Edit - In no way am I bashing FF6/7/8/9. I think they were all fantastic, just not as good as FF13/13-2.

Edit 2 - Now I will say the music from the earlier Final Fantasy games completely obliterates FF13 in comparison. No competition there.

P.S Sorry for the semi wall of text.
---
GT - ExiLe dM
3DS - 4425-2757-4297
#2ArmaLeyvatenPosted 9/15/2012 7:25:12 PM
Yeah, I think the most common cause of their "bashing" of the XIII series is nostalgia. Comparing newer games to older games, imo, is moot, because it's not like it would be better for them to make every game the same. I've played every single numbered title for Final Fantasy (yes, including sequel titles) except for XI and XIV, and it shames me to even try to compare them all to each other. They all have good qualities and bad qualities, for sure, but the most important thing to me is that they're different from each other as I would get bored to play the same game over again with different character names.
#3skullhedface32Posted 9/15/2012 8:11:49 PM
I started with FF8, then got 7, per-ordered 9 and every game after. even went back and played 1-6 and some of their various remakes.

I think they are all some of the best games of their time. I don't think you can compare the nes to the snes, or the ps1 to the ps2 games and so on. Times change and if they still made every game like *insert favorite ff game here* then the fan base would complain about the games being a copy/paste of the previous games.

So if you're gonna ask me if FFXIII and it's sequel are better than the older games, then i'll have to say yes. Square (in my opinion) has done a great job of keeping with the times.

To put it another way, yeah a Model T Ford was an awesome car back in it's day, but I'd rather drive a 2012 mustang any day. If I were a car collector, I'd own them both!
#4_Itachi_Uchiha_Posted 9/15/2012 8:35:30 PM
I've been a longtime Final Fantasy fan. I can safely say that FFXIII-2 is not only my favorite Final Fantasy game, but also my favorite game of all time. I just absolutely loved it.
---
Snuggle bunny swag.
#5xIcYuNvMEx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2012 8:41:29 PM
This is not the response I expected, but I like it! Great posts so far. Keep em' comin. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!
---
GT - ExiLe dM
3DS - 4425-2757-4297
#6NemyarPosted 9/15/2012 9:06:08 PM(edited)
Well, I like each FF game for their own merits. There's haven't been any FF games that I don't like, but I'm wondering how you find FFXIII-2 to be superior over other?
#7Super_Shadow323Posted 9/15/2012 9:53:21 PM
13-2 is newer and nicer, so yeah.

But it doesn't have the same charm.
---
FF: XIII-2>XIII>III>VII>IV
DQ: IX>IV>V>VI>III
#8xIcYuNvMEx(Topic Creator)Posted 9/15/2012 10:00:53 PM
Nemyar posted...
Well, I like each FF game for their own merits. There's haven't been any FF games that I don't like, but I'm wondering how you find FFXIII-2 to be superior over other?

I'll name off a few.

- I actually prefer the linearity of the FF13 series, just my personal opinion. I know other people hate this about it.
- Voice Acting
- None of that stupid crap where you're forced to use multiple parties that will no doubt include someone you haven't used the entire game so you're forced to grind for hours to get said member up to snuff.
- Combat is just light years better
- Best leveling system IMO
- Monster system is incredible
- Lightning is probably my favorite FF character behind Vivi
- Graphics obviously

That's about all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are other bullet points I've forgotten.
---
GT - ExiLe dM
3DS - 4425-2757-4297
#9ArmaLeyvatenPosted 9/16/2012 12:09:38 AM
xIcYuNvMEx posted...

- None of that stupid crap where you're forced to use multiple parties that will no doubt include someone you haven't used the entire game so you're forced to

Amen to that! I wonder what the last FF game was where that kind of thing happened......hmmmm.......9 I think? I'm, of course, only thinking of the numbered titles since I haven't played that many spin-offs (I think PS1 Tactics version is the only one), and despite what my last post said I haven't played FFIV: The After Years either since I don't have a PSP (or whatever system it was for).
#10GokuisInsanePosted 9/16/2012 1:12:02 AM
Unless they are trolls I doubt you'll find anyone who acts that moronic.