A FNCFFXIIIRPG, Chapter Six: Instruments of Unity

#251Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/19/2013 5:17:42 PM
I had something all typed out...then the Backspace button decided to take me back a page instead of deleting...(Throws computer out window...in his dreams)...

Just actions then:

TP at round start: 14/30

Yuki summons Yojimbo (-5 TP) and uses Banishing Blade (STR x4 Multiplier due to 8 ATB) attempting to inflict Deprotect, Deshell, Debrave and Defaith on Central Head.

Yojimbo uses Deprotega with Soul Blade and Master Debuffer and then blitzes. Primary target is Central Head.

Haru casts Cura on group A through Healer's Emerald, Covers Parnell, Steelguards once, and Mediguards twice.

Yojimbo | Arthogawa
COM/SAB 3/2
HP 4080
STR 1000 | MAG 550 | ATB 5
<--CRYSTARIUM-->
-COMMANDO-Lvl 3
[1] Attack
[2] Blitz
[A] Adrenaline, Faultsiphon, Ravage, Jeopardize, Lifesiphon
-SABOTEUR-Lvl 2
[1] Deprotect, Imperil, Slow, Curse
[3] Deprotega, Slowga, Imperilga, Cursega
[A] Master Debuffer, Soul Blade
-EIDOLON-
[S]Arise: If their summoner dies, they revive him/her to 100% HP and disappear.
[F]Provoke: They can use provoke once per round as a free action, at your request.
[4]Curaga: Heals one ally to 100% HP and removes all debuffs.
<--GESTALT SPECIALS-->
-Yuki-
[S] Banishing Blade: Deals STR x1/2 ATB damage and attempts to inflict Deprotect, Deshell, Debrave, and Defaith. Deals additional .5X STR damage (additive) for each of these ailments target is immune to.
-Yojimbo-
[A] Sensor: Partially reveal enemy stats
[A] Masamune Spirit: Any physical resistance above normal is treated as normal resistance.
<--ULTIMATE GESTALT - ZANMATO-->
Deals STR X5 damage to all enemies and attempts to slay them instantly. Chance is based off of enemy classification and remaining HP.
---
"Beginning is easy - Continuing is hard."-Japanese Proverb
#252Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 4:33:20 PM(edited)
OOC: OKAY! I finished going through the Crystarium in preparation for starting the new story. Here are the major changes (WARNING: WALL OF TEXT):

Crystarium

-Prestige ideas scrapped, replaced with RL 4 and 5 for each role.
-All modifiers have been slashed in half.
-Launch costs more and is less effective
-Stagger Drain, Deprotect Chaser, and Deshell Chaser moved to Weapons
-Lifesiphon removed and replaced with Victory Rush: If last round you struck an enemy with a COM attack and it died, deal 25% of the damage you dealt to that target to a target of your choice this round, even if you switch roles (only triggers once per round, damage from this is not affected by chain or other damage increasing/decreasing effects).
--Strike and -Blitz abilities now deal an additional point of chain in order to justify increased CP cost.
-There are now three types of SAB abilities: Status Effects, Debuffs, and Debilitative Effects.
---Status Effects include Poison, Confuse, and Berserk, as well as several effects that players cannot use.
---Debuffs include Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil and Curse
---Debilitative effects include Debrave, Defaith, Slow, Pain and Fog
-All SAB abilities (sans Berserk, which is 1/5) now have base chance of 1/10 to successfully inflict status. RL have been changed, and by RL 5 SAB users will have 1/2 chance w/o weapon effects.
-Wound has been removed from castable abilities for players.
-Jinx and Boon have been changed to make it so that existing (De)buffs do not tick down when a new one is applied.
-Haste now applies base 3 turns of Haste and Hastega applies base 1 turn of Haste.
-Nul-All now only costs 4 ATB.
-Synergist LV4, in lieu of granting an additional turn to buffs for the SYN, reduces ATB cost for single target abilities to one ATB. Buffs still last 3 turns longer, and allied buffs last an additional 2 turns.
-Challenge now only inflicts 4 turns of [Challenge].
-Provoke has been changed to always provoke at least two enemies, and has a 1/6 chance per enemy to provoke any above that number.
-Reflectguard and Element Guard have been removed and replaced with [3] Managuard: Move forward 1 Tier on all Elemental Resist scales. 40% Magical Damage Reduction. This is due to the Reflect on Reflectguard being more of a hindrance than a help due to absorption.
-Elude: Now an auto-ability granting 5% chance to evade each attack. Improved with Nimbletoe Boots.
-Evade and Magic Evade removed.
-SEN Resist from role now starts at 10% and climbs to 60% at RL5. RL3-5 passive effects to party are reduced.
-Tactics have been reimagined: Most are now "General" abilites that any role can use with a cooldown or limitations, but each Role has one or can choose one Tactic that is exclusive to that role.

Weapons
-Power and Mana Link removed; Deprotect and Deshell Chaser replace these.
-Vampiric Strike Weapons removed; Stagger Drain replaces these.
-ATB Charge weapons cost more, Siphon boost costs less.
-Improved Guard now improves damage reduction for Steel- and Managuard rather than their other effects.

Accessories
-Tactic related accessories modified.
-Blessed Standard added: Auto Brave/Faith/Haste[2] for 14000
-Several new immunity accessories, in particular Ribbon, Divine Shield, and Behemoth Vest.

Items
-Potions now heal % of health after certain point.
-New status treating items.
-New Spell Casting items.
---
#253Final_CataclsymPosted 3/27/2013 11:18:12 PM
Angil - Right Head - Attack x 9
Runnah - Right Head - Blizzard x 7

What I'm really curious about is a program/way to streamline all the damage formulas into an input/output fashion to save on headaches dealing with a bunch of different effects all the time. Something like check marking a bunch of boxes and then getting a new total.

As for me, I think I've more or less had my fun with this. I still have ideas for what I wanted to do with Runnah and in general, but my energy to produce is basically gone. I had pretty much given up on video games to do this instead, but playing games on my phone like FF Dimensions along with work going into the busy season is just more reasons and excuses to simply not continue. I'll still throw in actions and stuff from time to time, but even for actions as simple as what I posted, I could/should have done it sooner. I did have fun while it lasted and I'm not entirely quitting, but as I've declined in frequency over the months, this is just a point of admission to such. I'll keep going passively if you guys want to, but if you two want to just let it go, I have no qualms. I'm not trying to discourage you from it, but at least let you know where I stand. Apologies if I should have made this a bit more blatant sooner.
#254NemyarPosted 3/28/2013 2:24:52 AM
FinalCatalcysm's motivation pretty low, while Arthogawa's interested in starting new RPG to recruit fresh players (in ultra-low supply...). As for myself, I guess it's probably time to retire this RPG. There's simply not enough people to keep it going further.

As for the damage formula, I think MS Excel's pretty good tool for keeping tracks of all the numbers (both character's stat and battle mechanic). I haven't used it extensively for this RPG, but I think it would be helpful.

I actually have a word document of my own version of RPG mechanic (adapted from the original system by Rush) The crystarium system should be somewhat less cluttered.
#255Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:35:23 AM
I would like you two to comment on the backstory before I post a sign-up thread. You can probably see where I drew inspiration here:

Millennia ago, the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon existed in a state of constant peace. There was no conflict on or between either world, and prosperity reigned across both worlds. Such an age, however, was doomed to pass…

It began when the leadership of the city-state of Akaso decreed that Fal’Cie and those who followed them were an abomination: the state had never relied on Pulsian Fal’Cie for anything, and it prided itself on the superior technology they gained from being self-sufficient. This pride made them believe they were greater than anyone else, and it went on a crusade to exterminate everyone who clung to this “weakness.”

For years, it seemed like the Akasans could not, would not be stopped: their small territory quickly expanded to encompass much of the Archylte Steppe and the Yaschas Massif…and they became known as the Akasan Empire. With superior technology and military prowess, they drove many other villages into ruin. However, just as the age of peace could not last, neither would the age of Akasan dominance.

The city-states of Oerba, Paddra, and Bohemia, located to the north of Sulyya Springs, in the southern part of the Yaschas Massif, and in the Archylte Steppe respectively, formed a grand alliance to oppose the Akasan Empire in one last desperate attempt to topple them. If the three cities were located in the same area, the war would likely have gone in Akaso’s favor. However, because they were located in three distinct border regions, the Empire was forced to divide their forces. In addition to this, there was another thing that Oerba, Paddra and Bohemia had that Akaso’s previous opponents did not: many trained and experienced L’Cie that formed the elite portion of each city’s armies. Akaso had contended with L’Cie before, but never in the number and experience that the Grand Alliance had.

The tide began to turn, and, slowly, the Empire was pushed back to its homelands in the Vallis Media Valley. They were brought to the walls of Akaso, and they prepared for one last desperate, glorious stand.

It was not to be.

It was this moment that Cocoon, long thought to not care about Pulse, launched an invasion. The Grand Alliance was caught off guard, but they could not leave Akaso to rebuild its strength while they dealt with Cocoon.

It was in this debate that a drastic change occurred: the head of Akaso passed away suddenly and his son, a much more moderate and level-headed man, took over. He sought peace with the Alliance, and due to the circumstances scored a relatively favorable treaty: Akaso would retain all of its homelands and pay reparations to rebuild the villages that were destroyed in the expansionist campaign. Akaso would survive, but it would not be a threat for a long time.

The alliance then turned its attention to Cocoon, and this conflict would prove to be just as legendary as the fight against the now defunct Akasan Empire. The war continued until the Oerban L’Cie Oerba Yun Fang became the legendary Ragnarok and cracked Cocoon’s shell. However, she was unable to finish the job and disappeared in the aftermath. Her best friend and confidante, Oerba Dia Vanille, also disappeared.

With this, neither side was in any state to continue fighting. Negotiations took place, largely directed by each side’s various Fal’Cie, and a treaty was forged: Cocoon would provide technological development to Pulse in exchange for reconstruction aid. In addition, each side exchanged Fal’Cie as a measure of “good faith” to ensure neither side would break the treaty. In reality, both sides were attempting to weaken the other if, or when, the next war came.

Cont
---
#256Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:38:01 AM
Cont

Pulse sent the patron Fal’Cie of Oerba, Anima. This was questioned at the time, but a select few knew why. Cocoon, on the other hand, sent one of its two most important Fal’Cie, Ultima. Only a few Fal’Cie knew, but this was a calculated move on Cocoon’s part…one that was a gamble in more ways than one.

Anima was deposited near what became known as Bodhum, while Ultima was placed in the former temple of Anima. Both were loathed…and eventually forgotten.

Centuries passed, and the trade went from being forced by the treaty to just being natural, at least by Human standards. It was not uncommon for unions between someone from Cocoon and a Pulsian but there was never a truly high-profile union. This changed when, 475 years after the War of Transgression (what the first war between Pulse and Cocoon came to be known as), the heir to Akaso, Akaso Adan Mitsu, married a woman from Cocoon named Raine. This was a significant departure from Akasan tradition as most marriages were arranged among nobles. Raine was no noble, nor was she even of Pulse. Many Pulsians feared that this was a sign that Akaso would soon launch another crusade against them, this time with the help of Cocoon.

Their fears were certainly warranted: Akaso had long since paid off the reparations and their technological ingenuity was only augmented by Cocoon sending their technology to Pulse. They also continued to follow the ways of the warrior: each person in Akaso knew how to fight, and in a fight without L’Cie it would be doubtful that the side opposing Akaso would win. One small village decided to take preemptive action…one that would have disastrous consequences in both the short and long-term.

The village of Spayel, located to Akaso’s east in an area on the edge of the Vallis Media and the Shimmering Sands, had long been an important trader with Akaso, trading precious metals and ores to the warrior city. They feared that they would be the first target of Akasan aggression if they did indeed go on the warpath; after all, they were supportive and even home to a minor Fal’Cie. With this in mind, Spayel sent a task force to Akaso two years after Mitsu’s marriage to Raine with the mission to capture one of the nobles. Fate decreed that Raine would be taken, and for a short while it seemed like Spayel would get the guarantee that they would not be attacked. However…fate is a fickle creature, and it turns just like a wheel.

Two months after the abduction, it was discovered that Raine was expecting a child. This was the worst possible thing for Spayel: they could no longer “honorably” kill her if Akaso attacked, and it was just the reason Akaso was waiting for. The city-state declared war on the village and mobilized its entire army. Spayel had no chance, but in an act of desperation it instituted a draft policy that sent all able bodied men and women to the front lines. They were like lambs to a slaughter, but this did delay Akaso’s inevitable advance on Spayel proper for six more months.

The night before the final battle, Mitsu and his brother, along with a number of veteran soldiers, snuck into the Spayel town hall where Raine was being held and freed her. However, as they were escaping a lone L’Cie attempted to eliminate Mitsu with a spell. Mitsu’s brother saw this at the last possible moment and threw himself in front of the attack…sacrificing his life so that his older brother could live. This had two consequences: the immediate one was that Raine went into labor due to shock and forced Mitsu to withdraw from the battlefield and leave his lieutenant and fellow noble Guan Zangetsu in charge.

Cont
---
#257Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:39:45 AM
Cont

Zangetsu was a capable leader, but the death of Mitsu’s brother, a personal friend, dulled his ability to keep his men in line, who were also angered by what they perceived as a cowardly attack. The following morning, the battle commenced and Spayel was crushed…and the village was put to the sword and torch as a result of the lack of restraint and leadership. There would be survivors, but their lives would be forever changed. Zangetsu would also look back on this as his greatest failure…one that he would strive to never repeat again.

The other, more long-term consequence was that a seed of hatred was planted in Mitsu’s heart: a seed of hatred for L’Cie, Fal’Cie, and all who followed them. When he came to power two years later he did not hold back on declaring his hatred for them. He would not be able to do anything for a while, but it sent a foreboding chill throughout Pulse.

Raine, for her part, gave birth to the one who would hopefully succeed Mitsu: Adan Jin. About a year and three-quarters later, she would give birth to a second son: Adan Yuki. When she became pregnant a third time four years later, the Akasan populace was wild with happiness. However, that happiness would turn to despair when Raine passed away after giving birth to a third and final son: Adan Masa.

There were many things one could speculate as to what Adan Mitsu was, but to say he did not love Raine was a fallacy that would be punished in the highest capacity possible. He would never remarry. Raine’s death did cause an issue, however: Mitsu only cared about his work and his heir, Jin, after Raine died, and he neglected Yuki and Masa’s upbringing. This could have resulted in tragedy by itself if not for the fact that Yuki, despite his youth, was incredibly mature and wise to the world and took it on himself to see that his baby brother was raised as well as he could be without a mother. This would have a dramatic effect on the young prince’s life: he would not be able to focus his efforts solely into becoming a warrior like the other children his age.

This was remedied somewhat when he was placed under the tutelage of Guan Zangetsu: he even remarked that Yuki had “potential beyond that I have ever seen,” but that potential was doomed because of Yuki’s devotion to Masa’s upbringing. Masa benefitted from this greatly: he steeped himself in intellectual and technological pursuits, and it was discovered that he was a savant at both. Jin, to offer comparison to his younger brothers, was highly charismatic if not somewhat swayed by his father’s views.

The years passed quickly, and the Spayel incident faded into memory. However, the fear of an all out invasion still hung over every non-Akasan Pulsian’s head. Preparations for the semi-centennial Festival of the Hunt in Bohemia were underway: an event that brought together every nation on Pulse and even attracted some adventurers from Cocoon. It was unthinkable that Akaso would attack in this time frame, and Akaso even admitted that it would not (though this admission was taken with a grain of salt).

However, in the absence of one unthinkable thing (at least, one that was promised wouldn’t occur), another happened: one year before the Festival of the Hunt, Adan Jin was killed and Adan Yuki disappeared while hunting a rogue Behemoth in Akasan territory. Needless to say, this threw Akaso into a frenzy at having both its first and second heir removed in one fell swoop. No one knew how Jin had been killed or why Yuki disappeared, though conspiracy theories circulated stating that the second prince wanted to become the heir. Guan Zangetsu and Adan Masa both objected to this theory, stating that Yuki was not like that. Those that knew (and liked) Yuki would agree. And besides, why would he flee if he had killed Jin in order to gain the right to the throne? It had happened before…

Cont
---
#258Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:41:20 AM
Cont

With no reason in sight, the incident faded from the public view as the Festival of the Hunt approached. People from all across Pulse and Cocoon gathered to witness or compete in this once in a life time event, and this, 500 years after the War of Transgression, is where our story begins…

Areas of Interest:

Akaso: Located in the Vallis Media Valley, this ancient city-state is occasionally referred to as the “Imperial City” as a nod to its long passed days as the seat of an empire. It believes in a might and strategy make right view, and many citizens of Akaso look down on if not completely loath L’Cie, who they feel have gained power without working for it. Fearsome warriors and brilliant technologically and strategically, for the longest time they had no way to counter L’Cie magic, but that might be changing…

Paddra: Located in the southern part of the Yaschas Massif, this is yet another old city-state and it has often been at odds with Akaso over one thing or another while being staunch allies with Oerba. Many call this the “Seeress Capital,” seeing as how the most well known Seeress, Paddra Nsu Yeul resides here along with her guardian, Caius Ballad.

Oerba: Located to the north of Sulyya Springs and Taejin’s Tower, this old city-state is well known as a training ground for the greatest L’Cie on Pulse. The Temple of Anima is here, long since sealed because of a fear of the Cocoon Fal’Cie Ultima that was swapped there after the War of Transgression.

Bohemia: Located in the Archylte Steppe, this city-state is not quite as old as Paddra, Oerba, or Akaso, but it is still well-respected. Home to the semi-centennial Festival of the Hunt, Bohemia prides itself on having the best hunters on Pulse, though Akasans would contend that they are the best. This rivalry has almost led to blows many times, and the tension between the states remains, simmering, waiting for one match to ignite it…

Tuchanka: A relatively new city-state, created only 200 years ago. This state is unique in that it resides in the Mah’habara Subterra at a point where a hole in the earth lets light down into it. This state has become fabulously wealthy in its short period of existence: precious ores and metals finance all that the city needs, and it has slowly utilized the numerous Atomos Fal’Cie types as a means of creating underground tunnels connecting all throughout Pulse. Officially, it has no interest in conflicts, but everyone knows that they offer materials to the highest bidder despite the fact that a faction of Seeresses live here.

Ruins of Spayel: Located on the eastern edge of the Vallis Media and western edge of the Shimmering Sands, these ruins were once home to a village that bordered on being a city-state. Now they are populated only by monsters, and even Akasans avoid the village proper because of the terrible stories that have been told from those who returned from it.

Cont...one more time
---
#259Arthogawa(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 11:53:31 AM
Cont

Ova: A protectorate of Oerba and located south of Taejin’s Tower and just north of the Sulyya Springs. The poor growing climate has resulted in a local diet on the various aquamarine life in the area. The fact that this would be first on the list of Akaso’s targets in a potential attack on Oerba remains out of mind of the local inhabitants…

Paddrea Fortress: Established after the end of the War of Transgression, this fortress sits on the border between the Vallis Media and Yaschas Massif (and hence, Akasan and Paddrean territory). Paddra hails this fortress as “impregnable,” though that claim has never been tested. Nevertheless, it is a very impressive and formidable bastion against potential Akasan aggression.

The Media Encampment: Despite being named an encampment, this place is actually a fortress very similar to Paddrea except being located on the border between the Archylte Steppe and the Vallis Media (and serves as the divider of Bohemian and Akasan territory). It is a much younger fortress than Paddrea, seeing that Akaso only had the funds to build it 100 years ago, but it serves as a threat to Bohemia…and all of Pulse.

End

Basically, a what if scenario where Pulse didn't have most of its human population disappear to who knows where following the War of Transgression and the general Cocoonian (?) wouldn't be quite as fearful of Pulse (though this would be concentrated among merchant and political class, general would still be fearful).

The main concern I have is me as a DM controlling a character (take a wild guess...and no it is not going to be the same events and he's not acting the same). I can imagine people would raise concerns about a "Main" or "Central" character, but I think it is key to plot advancement (which was a huge problem here). I'd work with whoever to give their characters spotlight, and that is why I have this backstory: there are plenty of places for people to draw an inspiration from.

In case you are wondering, I will only have the following limits on characters: Cannot start as a leader of any place of interest (children/relatives are fine), must originate from Pulse or Cocoon (in later case, political or merchant connections are preferred), and they cannot have/had L'Cie magic unless they start as a L'Cie (which I will allow people to start as though discourage it). Other than that, characters can be as strong or weak as players want (within reason). They could be the head of a random village if they wanted to, just not anything currently named.
---
#260NemyarPosted 3/28/2013 1:11:15 PM
Having trouble pinning down the present timeline (where the new RPG begin), does it happen a while after Yuki's murders (basically approximately around timeline of this RPG)?

Sound like Akaso have similar attitude toward L'Cie, Fal'Cie etc, as Cocoon resident from actual FFXIII game...

I suggest having some sort of conclusion or end-goal (e.g. actual final boss to finish off) to this RPG so the storyline does not end up being dragged out (you could always start new RPG if people are still interested after finishing current RPG)